Any 'musts' in & round DC?

mrviognier
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just flew in for a wine tasting tomorrow in D.C. Is there any bar / store / etc that I need to check out while I'm here?

TIA

It would appear I need not go any farther than my hotel room...:lol:

Bar1001.jpg

if you want to taste different bourbons, i would recommend three places.

Bourbon steak (amazing food as well) http://www.bourbonsteakdc.com/menus/

scroll down about half way to the bourbons. And yes, they do have all those i can confirm. at least as of last sunday.

Old glory (almost across the street from bourbon steak) http://www.oldglorybbq.com/about.php if you sample all of the bourbons they have, they will graciously place a very fancy brass plaque with your name on it above the bar.

both of the above in georgetown on m street.

Quarry househttp://www.quarryhousetavern.com/

my liquor store manager says this guy buys everything he has. Haven't been there myself, but i understand it is a dive with great burgers too. short walk from the silver spring metro station.

If you are still unsatisfied, get back to me.

and what exact hotel are you staying in???

Honestly, if you want some craft cocktails, or some other fine drink there are many good options in DC. Some take advance planning though and reservations.

If this is all you need, then enjoy sure you will be set.

ps. where is the wine tasting and how do i get invited? may not be able to make it on wednesday night though. First sailboat race in annapolis and all.

and what exact hotel are you staying in???

Honestly, if you want some craft cocktails, or some other fine drink there are many good options in DC.

Thanks, but I've been to DC enough to get to a good bar/restaurant. What I was interested in was to know if there was a new establishment that boasted a great Bourbon selection, or a local store that had the same.

ps. where is the wine tasting and how do i get invited? may not be able to make it on wednesday night though. First sailboat race in annapolis and all.

Sorry, the tasting is only open to people in the industry. If you are in the trade, PM me.

Bourbon in Adams Morgan hands down has the best selection of Bourbon in DC and by far the most reasonable prices. Lot's of older selections and one off barrel selections. Very decent food also. Down to earth traditional bar with a great staff.

Have to pile on with cigarnv- Bourbon is the place to go, especially if the weather is nice. Acadiana on 9th and New York ave also has a great selection at good prices- the beverage director there is friends with Bourbon's owner, so there is some dual coverage of a lot of the Willet single barrels. However, the food is considerably better at Acadiana. If you're out by the U st area, American Ice Company is a little hipster joint with a surprisingly good selection of whiskey and some interesting beers- but eat somewhere else. Oh, to avoid confusion: Bourbon and Bourbon Steak are two very different places, the second being a far more upscale/ pricey restaurant; the first more of a bar.

thanks for the tips guys. still haven't been over to bourbon. need to do that this weekend. never even heard of Acadiana. will try them both.

not applicable to the current trip, but the owner of Bourbon and a partner are very near to opening a new place called Jack Rose which will be a little more upscale than Bourbon and feature Scotch as well as bourbon....I've heard the possibility of somewhere north of a 1000 bottle selection.

If you are around Chinatown Gallery Place Navy Memorial 7th Street NW area. Go to hill country BBQ, The best Authentic Texas BBQ outside the state. They have a pretty decent selection of Bourbons on their menu, the first place I saw Knob SB in a restaurant/bar.

Scneiders on Cap Hill is a great liquor store as well ast Chets on 8th St SE, I left a 2009 ER17 on the shelf there for you. They are both small but I have consistently found something unique there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.