Bourbon Whiskey, Our Native Spirit by Bernie Lubbers

Sylvan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just saw a commercial blurb for a new bourbon book and I came here as registered to see if anyone has read it yet and has opinions. I'm not quite to the point where I buy every single bourbon book as it comes out...

Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Bourbon-Whiskey-Our-Native-Spirit/dp/1935628038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305304814&sr=8-1

Bourbon Whiskey Our Native Spirit: Sour Mash and Sweet Adventures

Product Description

Travel the Whiskey Trail and around the country with whiskey professor Bernie Lubbers as he reveals the history and process of making and selling America's native spirit. Sharing his homespun Kentucky wisdom and outrageous whiskey adventures Bernie engages the reader with humorous tales throughout the book. But, Bourbon Whiskey our Native Spirit isn't all fun and games. The Whiskey Professor enlightens with a rock solid history of the spirit, the industry and its legends. Readers will also be delighted with bourbon and whiskey recipes for drinks and food contributed by bars and restaurants along the Whiskey Trail and the professors own family archives.

About the Author

Bernie Lubbers is the Whiskey Professor for Beam Global Spirits and Wine - the best job title on the planet. Before becoming a Whiskey Professor Bernie was a comedian for 25 years and knows how to tell a story. He was named Global Whiskey Ambassador of the Year, 2009 by Whiskey Magazine.

• Paperback: 192 pages
  • Publisher: Blue River Press (April 1, 2011)

There is nothing wrong with corporations publishing books to tell the story of the products they sell in a way most beneficial to their corporate interests. You should just go into something like this knowing that's what it is.

I saw this on Amazon a few weeks ago , so added it to my shopping cart. I haven't finalised the order yet, but am looking forward to reading it when I do.

I think they should have subtitled it: The bourbon world from the Beam Global, Inc perspective.

Nothing against Bernie. I'm sure he did a good job with it. He's a good guy and very knowledgeable, but his professorship is at Jim Beam U. It is what it is. It's not going to contain any secrets from the Jim Beam vault, that's for suce. If any such secrets existed they would have been in the book they commissioned Paul Pacult to write a few years ago.

Jim Beam secrets? They've been doing everything the same way since 1795 ad they still have secrets?:lol:

As I said, I like Bernie, but the whole 'native spirit' thing sticks in my craw because of the way Beam misrepresents the content of the Congressional Concurrent Resolution of 1963, which declares bourbon to be "a distinctive product of the United States." Beam likes to claim that resolution declares bourbon to be "America's Native Spirit," which it does not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.