Red Stripe Jamaican Lager

Photodudems
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I really like this stuff. Anyone else out there like it or know of other beers in the same vein that might appeal?

There are hundreds upon hundreds of light bodied beers out there like Red Stripe.

Beer like food and other beverages are a cultural thing.

Jamaica is hot therefore the beer is light bodied.

Alabama is hot therefore the steaks get cooked well done.

Etc, etc.

That's true, but Red stripe has something to it that other 'light' beers lack. I can't really place it though.

All I know is I really enjoy a glass of Red Stripe on the beach in Jamaica a lot more than one on my back deck.

Tom

All I know is I really enjoy a glass of Red Stripe on the beach in Jamaica a lot more than one on my back deck.

Tom

I have only consumed it in Jamaica and found it be just fine as an alternate to a fruity light on the alcohol beach bar drink. There is probably something about the association of a place and a food or drink that cannot be recreated elsewhere.

Jamaica is hot therefore the beer is light bodied.

Except Desnoes & Geddes, the Diageo-owned brewer of Red Stripe, also brews a version of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout for the local market.

Tom

Amen, brother! I don't mind sucking 'em down when someone hands me a Red Stripe in the dead of summer, but I don't seek them out anymore. In Jamaica though, it's another story.

That's true, but Red stripe has something to it that other 'light' beers lack. I can't really place it though.

Red Stripe is a bit more crisp and carbonated than other similar beers imo. I drink it a decent amount in the summer and then usually don't drink it more than a few times the rest of the year. Really simple, easy to drink beer and hits the spot on a hot day.

agree with others here, while in Jamaica I love it, at home, not so much.

best regards, tony

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work at Seacrets in Ocean City when I was a just a wee lad. We would get cases of Red Stripe every once in a while that were just water in a bottle, no beer at all.

Red Stripe is a bit more crisp and carbonated than other similar beers imo. I drink it a decent amount in the summer and then usually don't drink it more than a few times the rest of the year. Really simple, easy to drink beer and hits the spot on a hot day.

The same could be said for most Mexican beers which I prefer to Red Stripe when the temps are scorching hot in mid-July. Tecate and Modelo do the trick for me!

Tecate and Modelo do the trick for me!

Modelo Especial is along the lines of Red Stripe, though I prefer it over RS. In general, I find straight lagers a bit sweet and bland, preferring the more edgy Pilsner style.

Stella Artois is similar in style to Red Stripe too, though it replaces the somewhat empty water-like carbonation of RS with a more oily grain taste in the back of the mouth.

Canadian lagers like Molson or Moosehead also come to mind as similar to Red Stripe. Carlsberg from across the pond too.

I find most of the Mexican beers to be well crafted and tasty. I prefer Molson over Moosehead because of the skunkiness too common in Moosehead. Though both use green bottles it seems less of a problem with Molson.

I think all of these are a cut or two above Red Stripe.

Rate Beer gives almost identical scores to Molson Golden and Red Stripe....interesting.

Modelo Especial is along the lines of Red Stripe, though I prefer it over RS. In general, I find straight lagers a bit sweet and bland, preferring the more edgy Pilsner style.

I feel the same about most "straight" lagers and that includes many run-of the-mill German beers which I find dull compared to most Czech (and Polish) pilsners. As I'm sure you already know, there are scores of great ones to be found here in Chicago with hardly a dud in the bunch.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.