TRYBOX: Tasting Notes

mrviognier
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally got around to opening these samples...here are my notes:

CORN WHISKEY

Production Code is 6c11. Don't know if this is important or just part of the label graphics, but there you go.

AROMA: Sweet, creamed corn predominate the nose. Not at all hot-smelling. With a bit of aeration, the nose becomes decidedly more vegetal.

TASTE: Entry is spicy...and very primary. Raw, almost grape pommace start, but turns quickly towards cereal grains. Light/medium bodied, with a soft, persistent finish and smooth burn that - like the nose - turns vegetal.

RYE WHISKEY:

Production Code is 7R11.

AROMA: Very odd...dusty cardboard and vegetal, with a smell of moldy rubber/sweat socks/old shoes.

TASTE: More fiery and high-toned than the corn version. The spiciness grabs your attention, but the finish fades quickly. Similar finish to the corn, but not nearly as pronouced.

Overall, these two examples of new make are better used as an educational product than something to consume as is. It definitely shows the importance of barrels and aging of the product, and the influence both have on creating complex/complete aromas, flavors and textures.

I was struck by the fact that - at 125 proof - neither spirit tasted particularly hot. Nice to have in my collection; however, I never would have purchased them myself.

I want to buy a few small oak barrels and age this stuff. Sounds like it would be a perfect candidate!

I've only had BT and 4R white dog. I like 4R better but I doubt I would buy any to drink.

I have thought about buying a BT WD so I could do the old side by side for friends but most people I know outside of you guys really are not into the education side of bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.