Buffalo Trace Wheated Mash White Dog - AKA Baby Pappy

biskuit
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any tried this yet or heard anything about it? I was at a Van Winkle tasting at the Atlanta Food and Wine Festival and Julian and Preston included it in the lineup, saying it was available at the distillery shop and may be retail soon. This is NOT the regular Buffalo Trace white dog "mash #1" that is now in distribution.

You know, it's not very good really, nor is it meant to be. Julian himself knocked it a bit, recognizing that it has a long way to go before it evolves into something beautiful. He brought up a very cool thought from David Chang that the path from fresh corn to milled grain to white dog to bourbon is a U chart on the delicious curve - starting out wonderful, getting chopped up pretty quickly into something that's not too appealing, then shooting up exponentially again over (lots of) time as it matures into bourbon.

Blurry photo of the wheated mash white dog bottle in my blog post on the festival at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2011/05/22/atlanta-food-and-wine-festival/

I have a clear shot too, but keeping that to myself : ) - it says "corn wheat and barley recipe, 114 proof -

Hrm, not exactly "Baby Pappy," though it would be fun to time machine it to the SW days and try some SW white dog. Baby ORVW or baby Weller is more like it.

But I do appreciate sharing the comments re: the bell curve of awesomeness. Makes a lotta sense.

Is there a difference between today's "Baby Pappy" and today's "Baby ORVW"? I understand today's "Baby Pappy" vs. a "Baby Pappy" 23 years ago...

• 10 months later...

I tried a sample of this last night at Poison Girl (bar in Houston). Actually had both the BT wheated and the rye white dogs. I thought the wheated was noticeable sweeter than the rye. I plan to pick up a bottle. Buffalo Trace makes only one wheated bourbon mashbill, so this is the white dog that goes in all the Weller products as well as Van Winkle 10, 12, 15 and soon 20 and 23.

I've had both the BT white dogs in a flight. (Rye-recipe 1, and the wheater.)

If I had to choose, I would rather sip the wheater. A bit sweeter and easier going down.

I got a bottle. I haven't cracked it open yet, but so far your descriptions on it being sweeter is getting me hyped up. I wasn't really impressed with Mash Bill#1. It was interesting to learn/taste how their primary bourbons go from new make to aged. Which is why I got the wheated version. I want to taste Weller/Pappy before and after.

I've never had new make that didn't treat my esophagus like it was liquid steel wool. I'm glad the distilleries have you all for customers for the products. :grin:

The flavors that I like in whiskey come from the barrel and from time.

I tried a sample of this last night at Poison Girl (bar in Houston). Actually had both the BT wheated and the rye white dogs. I thought the wheated was noticeable sweeter than the rye. I plan to pick up a bottle. Buffalo Trace makes only one wheated bourbon mashbill, so this is the white dog that goes in all the Weller products as well as Van Winkle 10, 12, 15 and soon 20 and 23.

Really going to have to get to that bar sometime...they must have everything..

I have all three of the BT White Dog pints (Mash #1, Wheated Mash and Rye Mash). My favorite would definitely have to be Wheated. It seems smoother and is easier to drink out of the three. But that could have something to do with it being 114 proof where the Mash #1 and Rye are both 125 proof. Regardless, it's neat to pour a little of each into separate Glencairn glasses and note the differences between them. I like doing this for friends/family who are interested in learning about what bourbon starts out as and what happens to it in the barrel over time.

I have a bottle I picked up a while back. It is nice drinking, if you are like me and like white dog. I think it is supposed to be still proof, but I doubt it. It is awful light stuff. We make a wheated bourbon and next to it you would think the bt is vodka.

I have all three of the BT White Dog pints (Mash #1, Wheated Mash and Rye Mash). My favorite would definitely have to be Wheated. It seems smoother and is easier to drink out of the three. But that could have something to do with it being 114 proof where the Mash #1 and Rye are both 125 proof. Regardless, it's neat to pour a little of each into separate Glencairn glasses and note the differences between them. I like doing this for friends/family who are interested in learning about what bourbon starts out as and what happens to it in the barrel over time.

The two values of white dog in my house are education for those interested, and my own aging experiments. Mixing and sipping do not qualify.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.