Aussie in Lexington - recommendations?

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey All, I've got a co-worker heading to the US next week and he's going to be visiting Kentucky. He plans on staying in Lexington and doing a good deal of the Bourbon Trail. I have two questions if anyone can help?

Can anyone recommend some bars in Lexington with a good selection of bourbons to try?

Do any of the distilleries offer minatures or smaller bottles to sample (rather than buying a 750ml bottle?)

If your friend is staying downtown he could try The Horse and Barrel or Bluegrass Tavern. I have heard that Metropol has a nice selection of bourbon too.

I'm not sure about the minis at distilleries, but the Liquor Barns in town will have plenty.

Most of the major brands come in miniature form. Liquor Barn is a good place to check for them!

Thomas

In Lexington go to the Bluegrass Tavern and The Thoroughbred Shop and tell Sal you are a freind of Tony and Oscar from Michigan.

Cam, I think Bourbon Review magazine did a review of several Lexington Bars in the Fall 2010 issue. If you get that mag, you might check that out.

Cheers!

As others mentioned, the Bluegrass Tavern. I was there less than two weeks ago and it was exactly what I was looking for. I had read about it and when I asked the manager at the Hyatt Hotel what he would recommend for a bourbon bar, he referred us to Bluegrass Tavern.

Awesome selection, reasonable prices and very knowledgeable staff. Keep in mind they do not serve food. But, there is a great pizza place directly behind the bar 1/2 block up the street (I can't recall the name) but you can order from there and bring food back to the bar. And don't forget to try the Bourbon Barrel Ale...they have it on tap. Unique and good.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Bluegrass Tavern.

I don't care for the company, but yea Liquor Barn has the best selection and prices for the most part, although not for everything. Don't expect anywhere around here to have an Van Winkles. They are gone in days. You're extremely lucky if you find any. Hell I worked at LB and it was hard for me to get any bottles (managers horded them).

Pazzos is a great place to stop by. Some good bourbon, TONS of great beer. Pretty good pizza and calzones too.

Alltech KY Bourbon Barrel Ale is overrated IMO - tastes a little odd. I prefer BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout (which I think Bluegrass Tavern carries).

Ah crap, just realized the dates, I guess he came and went. Hope he had a good time! I prefer Louisville to Lexington.

I'd say he would be welcome to stop by my house but I guess he is gone. I don't have a huge selection of bourbon, but it's pretty solid (VW, BTAC, and mid range stuff), also some good KY homebrew on tap :)

I've always liked the selection and the atmosphere at the Horse and Barrel on Broadway. British-pub styled bar with quite an impressive selection of bourbon. It used to be known as Nicholson's Cigar Bar back before the smoking ban, and was a favorite spot to have a Pappy 20 and a Fuente Fuente. After the ban it evolved into what it is today, no smokes, but still a nice place. The Hipsters tend to go elsewhere, which is another plus :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.