Sundays in Bullit County ...

Bourbon Boiler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Troy Beam, by the way, is the great grandson of Park Beam, Jim Beam's brother.

Damn, I missed it by that much.

I was at Beam on May 1st, a Sunday. No samples for me that day.

What pastor Tom Wofford probably does not know is, that when most of his congregation get home from church is that they are apt to have a little snort.

What pastor Tom Wofford probably does not know is, that when most of his congregation get home from church is that they are apt to have a little snort.

He's also never seen what distilleries charge in their gift shops.

Has Four Roses opened a new gift shop at the Cox's Creek location? The last time I was there it wasn't much, just a cabinet in the offices, and it required driving through the gate and past a lot of warehouses.

Like the cops in dry counties, the pastors in dry counties get bribes from the bootleggers. If the criminals aren't bribing them then they have to make their money elsewhere, hence costs go up.

I recall that one powerfull lawyer in Monroe county Alabama wanted to start a liquor store on the conecuh monroe county line. He wanted no competition. And on the books then was a law stating there could not be a liquor store with 600 ft of a church. So what did he do? He hired a black preacher and paid for a house trailer to have church. I forget exactly how it worked, but he had a monopoly for years. I do not know where southern baptists and other sects get that it is a sin to have a drink. I make the stuff for a living and I am frowned upon by some of my family. My grandmother did say one time, that liquor money spent just fine. As that was the main source of income for her family.

Is it possible that some people use religion ("the devil made me do it") to avoid personal responsibility? It's not my fault I'm a drunk, it's the liquor's fault.

I do not know where southern baptists and other sects get that it is a sin to have a drink. I make the stuff for a living and I am frowned upon by some of my family. My grandmother did say one time, that liquor money spent just fine. As that was the main source of income for her family.

It also has roots in the early 19th century opening of the frontier and consequent shortage of educated clergy. The lay preachers (my ancestors among them) were not only uneducated but they had little or no loyalty to any denominational leadership. They tended to preach a self-serving Gospel of their own creation that fostered an us-versus-them mentality, bred personal loyalty to the preacher and adherence to his teachings, and suspicion of everything from 'outside.' This led to 'literalism,' the belief that every 'jot and tittle' of the Bible is true, and all that. It also led directly to Mormonism and other 'do it yourself' frontier denominations. (Joesph Smith's right hand man at the founding of the Church of Latter Day Saints was Oliver Cowdery, a second cousin many times removed.)

That doesn't have anything directly to do with alcohol, but alienation and suspicion of outsiders made attacks on 'the alcohol interests' easy to accept. Since keeping and growing a congregation was the highest value, anything that blamed outsiders for the problems suffered by the faithful was desirable.

The whole "Wine back then was more like grape juice" schtick is one example.

Which ignores science, but I guess that's what these people do.

The yeast that ferments grape juice into wine is present on the surface of the wine. Without pasteurization or even refrigeration, if you squeeze grapes, or even pile them up in a container deep enough to cause crushing on the bottom, then wine will happen, whether you want it to or not.

And, for those who believe God made grapes and yeast and everything else, that's proof that He wanted us to drink wine.

Which ignores science, but I guess that's what these people do.

The yeast that ferments grape juice into wine is present on the surface of the wine. Without pasteurization or even refrigeration, if you squeeze grapes, or even pile them up in a container deep enough to cause crushing on the bottom, then wine will happen, whether you want it to or not.

And, for those who believe God made grapes and yeast and everything else, that's proof that He wanted us to drink wine.

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Fermentation is science but it's also something anyone who lives on the land knows about. It's as natural and fundamental as plant germination and growth. It takes an extremely powerful denial mechanism to persuade someone who has even a very simple understanding of the natural world that "wine in Christ's time was more like grape juice." They may not have achieved a full 11%-12% conversion back then, but they would have gotten enough.

I am a Christian myself, I never have read in my Bible it was a sin to drink. I always like to couter the wine being grape juice thing like this. Ever pressed grapes? They will ferment on the on almost the time the are pressed, the yeast is on the skins. In Bible times they did not have anyway to stop them from fermenting. I think it is a lot about what Chuck said about bribes and the preacher want nothing that costs money that they would rather get. I believe on of the main reasons bourbon thrived were it did is that there are a lot of Catholics in the area. They are not like southern baptists on alcohol. Methodists are a little better. I never will forget one time I saw the local methodist minister in the liquor store on evening. I said hey preacher. I thought he was going to faint. I think I told him, I don't care man, I bet the Good Lord has a little snort in the evening too. Nothing wrong with that.

I grew up in a Catholic family, our priest was over at the house every week and went on vacations with us. (By the way, he never molested me, not that I can remember, lol)

He loved his scotch, and was never trying to hide it at the time.

They are just peeps like us.

• 2 weeks later...

The employees I spoke with at the Beam gift shop said that so far they can see an increase in Sunday visitation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.