BOTM 6/11: Very Special Old Fitzgerald

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to a suggestion, and some gentle chiding in the chat room last night, I decided to use VSOF as this months BOTM.

Comparisons and/or posts of the different bottlings are welcome, if not encouraged. :grin: So, let's hear what you all have to say. I've had the BHC, and the current version. The BHC was great. The current version is pretty tasty too, but not quite as good as the BHC. I've heard others say that the version bottled just after the BHC wasn't very good. I never had any, so I won't comment. :rolleyes: Yeah. Me not commenting. :lol: Cheers everyone! Joe

Well I don't have a bottle of VSOF but am nursing a bottle of BIB I picked up in Minnesota last week. I like the BIB and will try to order a bottle of VSOF.

Hope I can find some of this here in Colorado, would hate to have to order it online, but I'll look around and see what I can find.

Any Indy area members know offhand if this is available to us? I like the BIB and would like to try VSOF.

I also like the B.I.B. version as a decent budget pour. I wasn't aware that there was a current version of VSOF. I've never seen one in person, only heard about dusties. It would be interesting to know: where it's available, proof, age, price? I'll be on the look out next time I'm in KY.

I'm working on a bottle of the BHC and it must have had a tiny cork issue, as some of the juice evaporated. Truthfully, this bottle ain't great--the whiskey has a prune-like quality that prevents me from fully enjoying it. I have one other still-sealed bottle of BHC-era VSOF and will crack it open to do a side-by-side comparison when the other bottle gets down to the last pour or two.

Does anyone know where I can find a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald in Houston? Anywhere in Texas? I have not found that anyone carries Old Fitz here.

Does anyone know where I can find a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald in Houston? Anywhere in Texas? I have not found that anyone carries Old Fitz here.

I haven't seen anything but the regular OF in Texas. I rely on a buddy in KY to keep my OF stocked.

I enjoy the VSOF quite a bit. I only have 2 bottles so I am nursing them slowly. It's definitely one of my favorite 90 proof pours. Both of mine are HH distilled.

Liq-O-Rama in north Ft Worth had several bottles in February, I was surprised because I haven't seen it in SC in several years. I started to buy them but I wasn't checking luggage and figured they wouldn't be allowed on the plane.

The last bottle I got I got for $8.50. The saleswoman didn't have it in the computer but figured since Old Fitz went for $19 a handle this bottle must be worth about $8.50. I didn't argue.

Enoch

Man you scored on that one. Should have bought more.

Went searching for this, no love.

Noob question, is there a chart on any site that details distribution by company or anything along those lines? It would be nice to know what is actually distributed in this state to hunt for.

IMO, the current version is just (sigh) "OK". After tastng and loving the recent PHC release, I have to ask again: why doesn't HH release a wheater worthy of the OF brand?

Cracked a bottle last night, and was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's because my expectations were so low. I found it to show its age in a good way...offering nice layers of complexity, but the intensity of those layers left me wanting.

While it's not even a shadow of the originals, it was an enjoyable dram. That said, it pushes the limit of price vs. quality. I'll always have a bottle on my bar, though.

I've been surprised by the VSOF as well. I've never had the original, but I thought that this wouldn't be any good after trying the current OF 1849. I think the VSOF is a decent pour that I've gone back to a couple of times. I agree with John B's comment above though - why hasn't HH released a better wheater yet? Hopefully the PHC 2010 is a sign of things to come...

I've been surprised by the VSOF as well. I've never had the original, but I thought that this wouldn't be any good after trying the current OF 1849. I think the VSOF is a decent pour that I've gone back to a couple of times. I agree with John B's comment above though - why hasn't HH released a better wheater yet? Hopefully the PHC 2010 is a sign of things to come...

HH is also working on another wheater with the Fitzgerald name. Fingers crossed.

I found some VSOF in Louisville. It cost $31.39 plus tax. As you might expect; it's more red colored than the B.I.B. version. This whiskey goes down very easily. It doesn't have as much carmel and vanilla type flavors as Weller 12 (another 90 proof 12 year old) but those flavors are there. When I was drinking VSOF, I was thinking this tastes like some charecteristics of Weller 12, also Makers Mark.

I'm working on a bottle of the BHC and it must have had a tiny cork issue, as some of the juice evaporated. Truthfully, this bottle ain't great--the whiskey has a prune-like quality that prevents me from fully enjoying it. I have one other still-sealed bottle of BHC-era VSOF and will crack it open to do a side-by-side comparison when the other bottle gets down to the last pour or two.
I once bought a BHC VSOF that was a little low from evaporation (got the merchant to knock $5 off the price). The oxidation had a pretty negative effect on the taste and it was not very good at all to me. The others I've had that didn't have evaporation tasted much better.

The current version looks like it has a cork, but it's actually a screw cap.

The current version looks like it has a cork, but it's actually a screw cap.

Indeed. Still good though.

• 2 weeks later...
Liq-O-Rama in north Ft Worth had several bottles in February, I was surprised because I haven't seen it in SC in several years. I started to buy them but I wasn't checking luggage and figured they wouldn't be allowed on the plane.

The last bottle I got I got for $8.50. The saleswoman didn't have it in the computer but figured since Old Fitz went for $19 a handle this bottle must be worth about $8.50. I didn't argue.

This is where I got my bottle. It was the last one :grin::bigeyes:

I decided to revisit this one, and it's not tasting especially good tonight. A little astringent to me....perhaps it was what I had for dinner. Oh well....I'll give it a try again in a few weeks and will probably have a different opinion at that time.

I happen to have picked up a bottle of VSOF about two months ago. I think I paid around $33 for it. I get some caramel and mint and a longish spicy finish. I am not getting much on the nose, though. I like it, but for the money, I think it could have more going on.

I can't believe it, but a large retailer in Milwaukee just got a couple 6-packs 2 weeks ago, and I just cracked it. ($37.99)

Trying it side-by-side-by-side with Old Fitz BIB DSP-1, and Weller 12.

Compared to the BIB, the nose on the 12yr is deeper, and more rich. BIB is quite medicinal, whereas the 12yr is sweeter with almond and vanilla. The middle and finish is surely Bernheim wheat. What I mean by that is while it's clearly a wheater, it's a bit more feral and aggressive than BT wheat. BT is certainly sweeter and softer, with more vanilla and buttery richness. Weller 12 also has a longer finish.

The Weller 12 is a Liter for $26.99. While the Old Fitz 12 won't replace it as a regular pour, I'm really glad I scored some bottles. It's great to have a range of styles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.