Captain Morgan Parrot Bay Coconut

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was helping out at a soccer club garage sale and the host keeps various adult beverages out in his garage. Nothing fancy, but it reflects what he enjoys drinking...various vodkas plus Captain Morgan Spiced Rum and Parrot Bay.

I had some of each on ice....the Cpt Morgan was ok.

The Parrot Bay Coconut however screamed summer vacation. Just the smell was enticing and the taste on ice was pretty good. It certainly makes for a good base flavored rum for cocktails.

http://www.captainmorgan.com/en-us/rum-products/parrotbay.html?gclid=CPrj2NDJn6kCFUMUKgodRUbMvg

To kick it up several notches this similar rum is highly rated...well, by at least two guys...

http://www.rumreviews.com/?rr=reviews&rums=183

Brinley Gold Coconut Rum

Anybody else tried it?

Also...Beachcomber Coconut and Marti Coconut are supposed to be very good.

Sailors is light tasting....but they still gave it good marks.

Cruzan Coconut....middle marks.

Captain Morgain Parrot Bay....middle marks.

Stay away from Barbarossa, Trader Vics.

To kick it up several notches this similar rum is highly rated...well, by at least two guys...

http://www.rumreviews.com/?rr=reviews&rums=183

Brinley Gold Coconut Rum

Anybody else tried it?

I used to drink Parrot Bay on ice in college during the summer. Summers in Waco, TX were very hot, and it did help beat the heat slightly (and help me to imagine that Caribbean island that I wished I was on!)

Brinley Gold is fantastic. I like the vanilla rum, which I first had in St. Kitts years ago. I got back home and immediately started searching for it, only to discover that they did not distribute to the US yet - needless to say I was very disappointed. Since that time they have come out with a coconut rum, coffee rum, mango rum, lime rum, and most recently, a spiced rum (Brinley Gold Shipwreck). The vanilla is, and always will be, my favorite. A restaurant in St. Kitts served it as an after dinner dessert shot, and then they also served it over ice cream. This rum will always take me back to that great vacation!

Unfortunately, it looks like many of these best rums are not distributed widely.

Binnys did not carry any of the higher rated coconut rums...just the standard Malibu etc. that you see everywhere.

A review of three more common brands:

http://scottesrum.com/category/all-rum-reviews/malibu-coconut/

3 Coconut Rums

July 22, 2007 — Scott Steeves

It might be worth some experimenting in home infusion....

One poster (Beach Bum Scott) on another site said "...Coconut extract I put 4 drops from an eye dropper to 1 oz rum.."

Hmm, coconut infused bourbon...the next big thing!

Hmm, coconut infused bourbon...the next big thing!

You better jump on this while the idea is fresh! Who would have thought that Iced Tea Vodka would catch on? Firefly also has a bourbon, which I've bought, and it's a little weird. I need to go back and try it again though...

Coconut Bourbon....the perfect replacement for rum in your favorite summer Caribbean cocktail!

I've had some of the Parrot Bay from time to time, its not a bad change of pace, and does well as a chilled shot. I don't recall having it in any mixed drinks, just simply having it poured as shots. I remember the coconut being pretty good (I'd take it over Malibu), and the mango wasn't bad either. Still, I rarely reach for a flavored rum, as its just usually not my go to drink. But now that its getting hot out, I might pick some up if it goes on sale, put some in a cup full of ice, and kick back on the patio on a hot day, really doesn't sound half bad.

http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.php/products_id/3764

Organic Coconut Flavor Extract (Kosher, Vegan, Gluten Free) Excellent for baking, ice cream, coffee syrups and in beverage applications!

NF-3908/ORG

$10.95 oz.

Now, what bourbon would work for this abomination?

Something fairly light in flavor, 80 proof..maybe I can now finish off the Basil Hayden.

Jim Beam White, Old Crow, etc. Maybe TN JD would work...

Or, a favorite blended whiskey...certain Canadians would work as well.

Check shoppers vineyard online I think they have the brinly vanilla...I've expanded my palate into Rums and during the summer on the rocks they seem slightly more satisfying than most bourbons for me.

Check shoppers vineyard online I think they have the brinly vanilla...I've expanded my palate into Rums and during the summer on the rocks they seem slightly more satisfying than most bourbons for me.

AWAX1978, thanks...I placed an order for the Gold Coconut, Vanilla and Spiced.

Looking forward to some enjoyable summer evening sipping time!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.