The 50 Cent tour

dpippen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would like to know four or five different brands to test my pallate....

I just signed up for the board and have read through many posts. Several non-rare brands are available close-by which interest me (WT-Rare Breed, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams- Single barrel) but I want to be sure I am tasting a variety.

A bit of history...I began mixing, and sampling, CC and water for my Grandfather as a small tyke and as I grew, moved on to Kesslers and then JB White Label. In college a friend from Elizabethtown, KY turned me onto Maker's (before its price inflation). It remains my main bourbon though I cook with it more often than I enjoy sipping it. I have finished a bottle of Woodford Reserve and never really cared for it.

So how about it... can you give me a good variety of available bourbons to try?

As everyone's tastes are different and price is a considerable factor, I'm sure you'll get a fair mix of suggestions. But here's 4 choices, that are all within reason price-wise and offer a nice variety be it single barrel, barrel proof, wheater and rye...

#1) Wild Turkey Rare Breed

#2) Evan Williams Single Barrel (everyone has different opinions about their favorite vintage, but if you can get the new 1993, you should be happy IMO)

#3) Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 Proof (if you don't mind spending a bit more $$, the 15 year would do even better wink.gif )

#4) Buffalo Trace

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Welcome to the board, Post often!

Get Old Forester as soon as possible 86 or 100 or both.

Gooble Gooble Anything Wild Turkey is fine.

Find a Bottle of Old Fitz BIB this is where Makers lifted the act from.

Elijah Craig and Knob Creek, You will like one of these a lot.

If you see a bottle of Stagg buy the damn thing , Don't worry about consuming it yet , but you will have it for future reference.

Circle September 2nd on your calender, Birthday Bourbon will be released that day.

If it has VanWinkle on the bottle............Find the price point you are comfortable with and dig in! grin.gif

Okay, so on my way home last night I stopped and grabbed a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. My wife was worried I had had a bad day, but it certainly got better once I had a taste. I need to read more of the BB to properly describe the taste, but I sat back and really enjoyed the smell, flavor and finish of the Turkey.

My list of "four or five" is now double that, but I'll take it slow and try and enjoy each bottle as I go.

1) WL Weller 7/107 will do if there is no Van Winkle Around.

2) WT Russell's Reserve

3)Old Grand Dad Bottled in bond

4)Elijah Craig 12

5) A bottle of Something Barton if you can get it, peferably

the 100 proof

6) a bottle of ancient Ancient Age 10 year.

Tom (non bourbon suggestion Dickel No.12 Tennesee Whiskey) C

Are you on a budget? Probably not considering your choice of WTRB. Try the following:

WT Kentucky Spirit

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

Weller 12yo (avoid the Antique 107)

Old Forester 100 proof

Evan William's Single Barrel '91 or '93

Elijah Craig 12yo (and 18yo)

That should keep you occupied for a week or so wink.gif

Is that Elijah Craig 12yo pretty good stuff, you say? I have it on my "to try someday" list and see it around town for around $15, which seems very reasonable. What is it comparable to (if anything)?

At about the same price locally (15 bucks) the Eagle Rare 12yo seems to be a very good value. A bit of a sleeper, perhaps.

At about $9 I tried the local Berbigllia Brand Bourbon (here in K.C., Berbigillia is a chain of liquor stores, often over priced). The sales clerk convinced me that this was a great buy for the money and an excellent bourbon. Well, the expression on the photo in the upper left reflects my reaction to that one...

PATOOEY!

Mark

http://jazztrpt.freeservers.com

Well, I think it (EC-12) is extremely similar to Evan Williams Single Barrel 1991 vintage. At a much easier price point, too.

Tim

I tried the Singlr Barrel but not the 107 proof. It's on my "to buy when I find list". I have heard nothing but good things.

TomC

4 or 5

#1 E. C. 12 YO is my #1 for the money

#2 Evan williams SB 93 good stuff

#3 Old Forester 100 is nice

#4 Any Wild Turkey is a good bet

#5 Ezra Brooks... You want some bourbon on hand to mix with coke for your friends

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

#5 Ezra Brooks... You want some bourbon on hand to mix with coke for your friends

I would keep some Ten High on hand for that. No reason to spend and extra buck fifty for people who wouldn't know the difference between bourbon and Segrams Seven grin.gif

Ezra is less than $10 here and I can drink it if I need to. I do not drink it much now but I used to when my buds were dinking Jim Beam White. EC 12YO is about $14 and I must say it is more than twice as good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.