Where does one find rare wines?

MarkEdwards
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've seen posts about 100 old wines and such. Obviously, these will not be found at Albertsons or Costco.

I have actually checked out the wine sections of a couple of local liquor stores (Dallas/Fort Worth area), and haven't seen anything other than fairly current offerings.

So, if I want to find a good 1933 Madeira, for instance, where would I look?

Easiest place to look would be on winesearcher.com

As far as Madieras, the two best importers in the U.S. for these are The Rare Wine Co. and Broadbent Selections. Both have distributors in your state, and - while they might not stock them as regular items - can get them for your favorite wine shop...and, hence, you.

Easiest place to look would be on winesearcher.com

As far as Madieras, the two best importers in the U.S. for these are The Rare Wine Co. and Broadbent Selections. Both have distributors in your state, and - while they might not stock them as regular items - can get them for your favorite wine shop...and, hence, you.

Mat's right, and Rare Wine Company will ship single bottles of older, expensive Madiera bottlings. This way you can order bottles and the store won't have to worry about unsold inventory. I know of one store in Milwaukee that ordered and stocked a bottle each of various pre-WWII and pre-WWI bottlings. I was lucky enough to try the 1911, and it was spectacular. Find a quality retailer and get a price list.

You might want to call Zachy's in Scarsdale, NY - they might be able to track down what you are looking for.

You might want to call Zachy's in Scarsdale, NY - they might be able to track down what you are looking for.

I'm not so much looking for anything - I haven't a clue what wines are a good deal - but was just wondering where to look for the 'good stuff'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.