Kentucky Bourbon Ale - Barrel Sources

Bourbon Boiler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When touring distilleries last weekend, Heaven Hill, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, and Woodford Reserve all claimed to be selling used barrels to age this beer. I can't imagine that the brewery needs a high quantity of barrels, and I would think they would want to reduce flavor variation among the different bourbons that have previously occupied those barrels.

The only thing I can assume is that they use multiple bourbon-barrels, and then mix for consistancy. Can anyone verify that this is the case? Does anyone know what other distilleries might be involved?

A single craft brewer in Baltimore is buying 300 barrels locally just to do one of their seasonal beer's this fall. This is up from less than 100 last year... bourbon barrel beer is a booming business.

Some brewers I am familiar with will blend beer from different barrels as well as from barrels which have been filled from 1 to 3 times. One very small brewer I am aware of only uses barrels from a specific rye whiskey and only uses them once.

They use Woodford Exclusively and they have a warehouse sized walk-in filled with hundreds of full ones. Production is up quite a bit and they only use the barrels "a few" times.

They use wine barrel pallet racks. They hold three barrels each and stack them up 20 ft high. They move them with fork lifts.

post-51-14489817354896_thumb.jpg

They use Woodford Exclusively and they have a warehouse sized walk-in filled with hundreds of full ones. Production is up quite a bit and they only use the barrels "a few" times.

They use wine barrel pallet racks. They hold three barrels each and stack them up 20 ft high. They move them with fork lifts.

Thanks Dean, appreciate the help.

Sure, maybe log this one if it's not in there.

Were they all making claims about Alltech's beer specifically? There are plenty of places putting beer in used cooperage. A brewery in Wisconsin told me they used Heaven Hill barrels when I asked. Because of course I asked.

Were they all making claims about Alltech's beer specifically? There are plenty of places putting beer in used cooperage. A brewery in Wisconsin told me they used Heaven Hill barrels when I asked. Because of course I asked.

Yes, they were, which is what I found so strange. I remember touring before and hearing the laundry list of all the places the used barrels go (scotch, irish, wine, beer, brandy, etc.) They all specificaly mentioned either "Alltech" or "Kentucky (Bourbon) Ale in Lexington".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.