What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Summer 2011

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Gran-dad Bonded, purchased recently in Buffalo.

It's apparently post-D.S.P.-14 but the label was very faded (hence my interest in it), and turning the bottle upwards I saw a 99 stamped on the right side of the base. I believe (also from the taste, this coming in a moment), that the whiskey was released that year and therefore distilled very early after the purchase of National Distillers. Jackson wrote I believe (1987) in the World Guide To Whisky that bonded Gran-dad was 8 years old. If distilled in '91 that is quite early in terms of my experience with post-National Distillers Gran-dad since I only started buying it after I joined this board in 2002 and even then I feel it was some years before I felt I understood the current palate of Gran-dad. In other words, I believe there may have been an interim period where the whiskey tasted neither like D.S.P. 14 distilled whiskey or the current profile of Beam whiskey with its pungent yeasty-like note most people here notice.

Indeed this 99 bottling is clean, nutty/sweet, not a hint of that yeasty taste but also without the particular fruity notes that characterised D.S.P. 14 whiskey. Maybe the Beam stills, in the early attempts to capture the essential characteristics, reached a high pitch of excellence for a few years, thereafter settling into a period where the palate has acquired the modern characteristic notes.

True enough it's a bond and by definition this is a changeable entity, but I don't think any current OGD bond can taste like this. $25 for the liter and never did I spend money better for bourbon.

Gary

Quick correction, I think it was OGD 114 that Jackson wrote was 8 years old and in fact I think he said 10 years old.

Being a bond, the OGD I was discussing would surely thus have been distilled in about 1995 if issued in 1999. Nonetheless, a superlative bottle and still possibly representing an "interim" period for the post-purchase palate.

Gary

Old Gran-dad Bonded, purchased recently in Buffalo. ...

Indeed this 99 bottling is clean, nutty/sweet, not a hint of that yeasty taste but also without the particular fruity notes that characterised D.S.P. 14 whiskey. Maybe the Beam stills, in the early attempts to capture the essential characteristics, reached a high pitch of excellence for a few years, thereafter settling into a period where the palate has acquired the modern characteristic notes.

True enough it's a bond and by definition this is a changeable entity, but I don't think any current OGD bond can taste like this. $25 for the liter and never did I spend money better for bourbon.

Gary

Nice information Gary. I have come across a few of these myself and up to now passed if the label says distilled at DSP 230. I recently came across an old looking 1.75 ml stamped with a '94 on the bottom base but labelled with DSP 230. I'm think I'll retrace my steps and give it a whirl.

Give it a try Thad, it might be similar. This was virtually a perfect bourbon.

Gary

4 bottles of VOB BIB for Los Angeles via TN and it's delicious...still rummaging this week too

Picked up a cork n bottle barrel selection buffalo trace today. Found a couple bottles of David Nicholson BIB, back label listed Old Fitzgerald Distillery, dspky16? Seemed to new a bottle to be SW? Something seemed amiss, I left them on the shelf.

Picked up a cork n bottle barrel selection buffalo trace today. Found a couple bottles of David Nicholson BIB, back label listed Old Fitzgerald Distillery, dspky16? Seemed to new a bottle to be SW? Something seemed amiss, I left them on the shelf.

It is not from DSP 16 so good intuition on your part. There are plenty of these still around and as recent as 2009 if you believe the 09 embossed into the bottom of the bottle. Extreme case of label runoff I guess.

After being given 3 hours notice, the wife and I along with the BIA and SIA took a trip to Windsor, Ontario yesterday. At the Detroit duty free, I got a bottle of Jim Beam Black triple aged (6yr). I had planned to get some of this in Canada but saw it at duty free. JBB is one of my standard favorites so I was interested to try this version!

Thomas

Picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Signature at the Frankfurt airport this morning.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

Picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Signature at the Frankfurt airport this morning.

I have been trying my best to get a friend who travels to pick me up a bottle. Can't wait to hear what you think.

While I was at a local liquor store to pick up a Baby Saz, I noticed the new bottles of Sam Houston next to the old ones which had been reduced to 1/2 price. The owner explained that the old ones had been discontinued so I bought an old one because I have never had it and figured $15 was not a bad price for a 10 year old bourbon. Haven't tried it yet. Probably should because if it is god I may go back and get the rest of them.

I special ordered a case of Ezra B today. $21.95 on the NC ABC special order list. Seemed like a good price. The stores just over the border in SC sell them for $30-$35.

I special ordered a case of Ezra B today. $21.95 on the NC ABC special order list. Seemed like a good price. The stores just over the border in SC sell them for $30-$35.

Which Ezra B? NAS, 7, 12, 15?

Picked up a bottle of Rare Breed from the PA Liquor Store for $27.99....$8 off the regular price....I couldn't pass it up. :grin:

Ezra Brooks Single Barrel 12yr. 6 bottle case... So it didn't break the bank!

I've only had one of these and unfortunately I don't remember much about it. It was back in my early bourbon days when I didn't pay much attention to flavor other than good or great. I really like the 7/101. Never tried the 15. The NAS is so so. If I could find the 12 in my neck of the woods I would definitely buy another.

I saw a lot of bourbon today, all the Single oak project bottles, a vintage er bottle, it was like Xmas in one shop and I could go on and on naming bottles. I am very excited to come back here and visit over Xmas.

However today, I only got a couple of bottles of ORVW 107 at this fantastic shop in TN because I'm already past my limit on what I can fly with.

What should I ship out of the following and what should I pack in my suitcase?

1 PVW 15yo

2 ORVW 107

4 VOBbib

The more I think about it maybe I should go back for more tomorrow.

I saw a lot of bourbon today, all the Single oak project bottles, a vintage er bottle, it was like Xmas in one shop and I could go on and on naming bottles. I am very excited to come back here and visit over Xmas.

However today, I only got a couple of bottles of ORVW 107 at this fantastic shop in TN because I'm already past my limit on what I can fly with.

What should I ship out of the following and what should I pack in my suitcase?

1 PVW 15yo

2 ORVW 107

4 VOBbib

The more I think about it maybe I should go back for more tomorrow.

I'd pack Pappy 15 in my suitcase then ORVW 10/107 if you have room without a doubt.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!