Cleveland Whiskey

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Most microdistilleries present themselves as a lone farmer or passionate whiskey lover on a mission. This one is...er...different.

From their website http://www.clevelandwhiskey.com/about.html:

Cleveland Whiskey LLC is an innovative science/technology and marketing focused start-up with a patent pending proprietary process to dramatically accelerate the natural processes of aging and maturation for distilled spirits. With this technology, the company expects to sharply reduce the time-to-market associated with the production of premium whiskey by a factor of 12 to 1. Correlated benefits include significant cost reductions and the ability to accurately replicate taste profiles based on rapid prototyping and consumer testing. A new and disruptive entrant in a traditional industry, Cleveland Whiskey jumps into an expanding world-wide whiskey market ($19.8 billion, 495 million liters) with a distinct competitive advantage.

As a start-up we’re not yet producing spirits although we have been conducting a series of validation tests and experiments with our fast-forward aging technology. Using new-make malt and rye spirits, a range of oak exposures and toast levels, as well as a systematic sequence of thermal and pressure changes, we’ve had extremely positive results. In the meantime of course we’re raising money, but that’s another story.

Mmmmm, "science/technology and marketing focused" whiskey.

Thoughts?

Interesting. Considering there are only three Ohio-made whiskies on the market today which cost $45, $83-100 and $115 per bottle, respectively, if nothing else this will give us ohioans another product to choose from. Whether it is worth buying, though, we'll see. At any rate, it's about time cleveland joined the micro-distillery movement, seeing as there are already operations going on in Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton.

I posted an article link about this guy and his quest a while back. I will see if I can find it.

If he still hasn't perfected his science, he may never. :cool:

Interesting. Considering there are only three Ohio-made whiskies on the market today which cost $45, $83-100 and $115 per bottle, respectively, if nothing else this will give us ohioans another product to choose from. Whether it is worth buying, though, we'll see. At any rate, it's about time cleveland joined the micro-distillery movement, seeing as there are already operations going on in Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton.

He's not a micro, but a whiskey alchemist trying to speed up the pace from white dog to fully aged whiskey. He's one year into a two year experimental DSP license with nothing but press clippings to show for it so far.

There's an actual licensed micro distillery opening in the Ohio City neighborhood on Cleveland's near west side. DeanSheen has more details on it than I do as that is in his neck of the woods. Even if they lay down bourbon on day 1, I won't be concerned with their output for another 6-8 years anyhow. I'm not a fan at all of underaged bourbon or rye.

Here's the thread from last summer about the same guy.

We may have one soon.

The new brewery opening up near the market was supposed to be putting in a still. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Well, according to ADI, they just got awarded a Cuyahoga County low interest loan for their work for $123,500.

Well, according to ADI, they just got awarded a Cuyahoga County low interest loan for their work for $123,500.

His facility is in a part of town where the local government is trying to spur innovation. I would be surprised if this loan was not tied to his business location more than a prediction of the success of his business model. He's an entreprenurial alchemist who, by his bio, knows how to work the system.

Plus, Calahooga County is prone to do dumb things now and then.

I don't know if this is the same guy I've seen before or another one trying to do the same thing. Not much different than a guy trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. I tend not to devote much energy to this sort of thing when these guys crawl out from under their rocks. A fool and his money are soon parted, and all that jazz.

In the meantime, the old Michter's barrel-a-day distillery in in place is the Cleveland suburb of Chagrin Falls. Tom and Lianne hope to start making whiskey in it soon.

post-5-14489817365691_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this is the same guy I've seen before or another one trying to do the same thing. Not much different than a guy trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. I tend not to devote much energy to this sort of thing when these guys crawl out from under their rocks. A fool and his money are soon parted, and all that jazz.

In the meantime, the old Michter's barrel-a-day distillery in in place is the Cleveland suburb of Chagrin Falls. Tom and Lianne hope to start making whiskey in it soon.

That is the best place to put your money on for Ohio whiskey. Dick Stoll was up at our place today talking about this. I think Tom will be in good shape to make good whiskey. On another note. Dick is doing well. I hope I am as sharp as he is when I get his age.

Time to call for another tour at Tom's Foolery. :grin:

They've made an amazing amount of progress. They're such nice people and so into it, I think it's great.

They've made an amazing amount of progress. They're such nice people and so into it, I think it's great.

I ran into Tom at lunch a few months back and he asked if Chuck had mentioned the new still. I forgot to ask, but it's good to know that it is great news.

I know those stills and their history so well, and have so much affection for them, that it feels like knowing you found good homes for your dog's puppies.

We may have one soon.

The new brewery opening up near the market was supposed to be putting in a still. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Andrew Tvreekem is the brewer and distiller. He has 20+ years experience as the brewmaster at Great Lakes Brewery, Dogfish Head, and Fredrick Brewing. Pretty impressive resume, and one hell of a brewer.

They came to our place several months back for a chat about brewing and distilling under the same roof.

I'll guarantee you it'll be some of the best beer that can be found, and I'll be stunned if the spirits aren't top notch in short order.

Nice people, too.

I wonder if they know about this:

Subpart F - Location and Use (of distilleries)

§ 19.131 Restrictions as to locations.

Distilled spirits plants shall not be located in any dwelling house, or in any shed, yard, or enclosure connected with any dwelling house, or on board any vessel or boat, or on premises where beer or wine is produced, or liquors of any description are retailed, or (except as provided in §19.133) on premises where any other business is conducted.

(Emphasis added)

Must be a way around it. I know of several other places that do it like that. Wonder why that was ever put into the law?

We had all three licenses under one roof up in Ann Arbor. A winery, distillery, and a brewery. Sold both beer and spirits to go. TTB officers walked us through the whole licensing process.

Apparently a "separate premises" can be created with a wall. As near as I can determine, that's the deal.

I just drove by there after lunch and they have "Distillery" right on the marquee.

Going later for some beers. Will see if I can suss out any more information.

I just drove by there after lunch and they have "Distillery" right on the marquee.

Going later for some beers. Will see if I can suss out any more information.

Suss....Suss.....Suss....Suss....Why does that word look so weird, and have me laughing, now?? Suss....Suss.... :D

Sorry for the drift....Please tell us the findings from your sussing.

Suss....Suss....Suss....

Suss....Suss.....Suss....Suss....Why does that word look so weird, and have me laughing, now?? Suss....Suss.... :D

Sorry for the drift....Please tell us the findings from your sussing.

Suss....Suss....Suss....

DeanSheen = Dr. Suss

Sup, Doc?

:grin:

Prior to my attempting some sussing I intuited that The Google had some data to better inform me of the distilling status of this new establishment.

Ta Da!

http://marketgardenbrewery.com/our-spirits/spirits-menu/

We are currently in the process of getting our distiller’s license.

Market Garden Brewery and Distillery will become the

First Micro Distillery in Cleveland!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.