Breeder's Cup location

Bourbon Boiler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It will soon be announced where the 2012 and 2013 Breeder's Cups will be held with Churchill, Belmont, and Santa Anita being the three finalists.

Out of curiosity, do the distilleries see increase traffic when Churchill hosts this event? I know the Derby brings increases in tours and visitors, so would assume the BC would as well.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2011/06/17/2012-breeders-cup.aspx

I recall the first time Churchill hosted the Breeder's Cup. I may even have been living there at the time. (Not at Churchill, but in Louisville. :)) It was a big event, to be sure, but nothing close to Derby in terms of the local impact. One factor is that since none of the tour-able distilleries are in Louisville, it requires a bit of a time commitment, and horse people might be more likely to visit a couple horse farms in their limited spare time. And those aren't in the immediate Louisville area either.

There are several horse farms out 22 in Oldham County, but that's almost as far as Jim Beam and in the wrong direction.

Good point. Those would be the closest horse farms to Louisville, and Beam is probably the closest distillery tour to Louisville.

So I would conclude that the Breeder's Cup audience is a different crowd than the Derby attendee. I suppose that makes sense. I would guess the Derby goer is likely a more casual fan using the event as a vacation, either regular or once-in-a-lifetime. The BC probably brings in a more horse-focused fan, less likely to want to see Kentucky's other offerings.

The Derby is also a huge local/regional event with tons of ancillary activities. The Breeder's Cup is just a horse race and much more for serious racing fans. The Derby is more of a happening that attracts people who could care less about racing. Even if a fair number of Breeder's Cup attendees did take a distilleries tour, there wouldn't be enough of them to cause a noticeable bump in numbers.

But I'm just theorizing. I could be completely wrong.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.