American Spirit Whiskey

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another boutique white dog. Bottled in Charleston. "95% grain neutral spirits, 5% spirits from corn, rye & barley".

From www.bearingsguide.com...

"After Prohibition, there was very little aged whiskey available so they would take un-aged product and mix it with bourbon to create more inventory. This was called Spirit Whiskey. This class of whiskey went basically unused until the recent renaissance in craft and artisan distilling," said Jim Chasteen, cofounder of the new label.

Adding to that, cofounder Charlie Thompson told us, “We take an un-aged whiskey and filter it using an innovative process that produces a spirit that is essentially like a high quality vodka with the distinctive nose and finish of a whiskey. American Spirit Whiskey is a new and distinctive base spirit to be used in the fresh-ingredient cocktails popular with sophisticated bartenders."

This 80 proof refined type of “white dog” has personality but isn’t overpowering. “We settled on the Spirit Whiskey concept and then began to experiment with a filtration process that no one else is using. We can take out the impurities (that contribute to hangovers) and make the rough edges smooth. ASW is essentially aged without spending time in a barrel," said Charlie.

In the coming months American Spirit Whiskey will roll out first in Atlanta, Athens, and Charleston (where they make it) and then across the South and nationwide.

http://words.americanspiritwhiskey.com/

http://www.cardinalandco.com/1418093/American-Spirit-Whiskey

Odds on WT suing them?

That was all I could think about when I saw this posted. Calling a whiskey "like a high quality vodka" does not seem to be a good way to win over whiskey enthusiasts.

Yeah, American Spirit is probably not the best choice for a name.

I really don't understand products like this. It seems like the "interesting micro-distilled clear grain spirit for mixologists" market is getting pretty crowded.

Not really, but we already have a thread about the myth of trademark abuse.

I wouldn't put anything past being trademarked in this day and age. It's really out of hand.

A couple weeks ago Disney successfully patented "Seal Team Six" then umm graciously gifted the patent to the military. So nice, those Disney folks!

What exactly did they patent?

"American Spirit" is a bit too common as an expression to be trademarked.

True...but I'm willing to bet that WT's lawyers will still send a cease and desist.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.