Lion's Pride Whiskey from Chicago?

bourbonbasement
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone had this stuff? A buddy of mine is in Chicago this weekend and says they have a few different varieties. A quick look at their website shows whiskeys made from oat, millet, rye, wheat and spelt. I'm curious to know what spelt, oat and millet whiskeys might taste like. Unfortunately each one is $45/bottle and only aged 2 years. Would love some insight before splurging on one.

I've had their Dark Rye and Dark Oat whiskeys. They are very subtle and mild, but very very clean-tasting and pure. Notes of lavender dominate in the rye and still find their way into the oat as well. This is whiskey you need to be patient with. I had to work pretty hard to finally dig out the kernel of complex pepper spice in the Dark Oat; it's really unlike any whiskey I've ever had.

It's a distillery in the middle of Chicago with old-school Austrian distilling roots. Their whiskeys are a bit of a novelty (and a bit of a stretch for $45), but they are pure and interesting and admirably produced.

The theory behind Koval/Lion's Pride is that if you make a spirit that tastes good unaged, even a little bit of aging will only make it better. That's how I've experienced them and also what is fun about them, which is you can taste the exact same spirit at three different stages. The 'dark' versions of the whiskey get a really wonderful butterscotch flavor from the wood.

At the end of the day, though, it's about trying something different.

Their rye whiskey is a little too vodka like in quality, however, it would make a decent base for mixed drinks. The aged whiskey should be of more interest. However, the price is a little high for just a whim purchase, however they do offer tastings throughout the year at different locations.

I was walking on Sunday past the, shadow of its former self, Berghoff restaurant, and noticed some of these in their window display and thought, well maybe it means something, to be featured at the icon that had its own private bottling of S-W whiskey. Then again, is any association with the ownership who purposefully destroyed the Berghoff good and did Koval even choose it?

I've had some sips, not enough to comment on but am now intrigued by that "butterscotch flavor from the wood" but yeah its price discourages.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.