Leaching of Lead into Whiskey from Ceramic Decanter Glazing

Guest wripvanwrinkle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for the info Mark. That's somewhat encouraging I have a sample of S-W WSR (from a glass bottle) that I'm getting ready to taste. If I decide that I must have more I'll send a sample to be tested. It certainly is a shame that it's just been sitting here not being consumed.

Glad to help - be safe - for a small investment, you could gain the peace of mind that you can imbibe with confidence! If it goes the other way, well, at least you have a nice decanter and know you won't end up with the sanity of a Roman Emperor! :crazy:

• 4 years later...

So obviously, this thread has been dormant for a long while. But I stumbled on it a few months ago when I was toying with the idea of buying an old Wild Turkey decanter.  After reading through it, I decided it just wasn't worth pursuing for obvious reasons.

Long story short, I've just been gifted a 2 oz, sample of a '75 WT decanter,  I'd never buy a full one, but as a huge Turkey fanatic, the temptation is certainly overwhelming to at least know what this juice tastes like. I'm just curious to hear some opinions - would you feel comfortable ingesting, say, 1/2 ounce a month for four months, or would you just avoid drinking any decanter whiskey altogether?  Clearly no amount of lead is good to ingest - but is there an amount that's so small that the potential risk is trivial? 

12 hours ago, Guardian Enzo said:

Clearly no amount of lead is good to ingest - but is there an amount that's so small that the potential risk is trivial? 

That amount is basically whatever you're willing to gamble on, unless you know for sure whether or not it's "leaded", and if so, how much lead it contains......

Lacking that knowledge, I'd say this; "How much lead could there be in a 2-ounce sample?!?!"     Hell, I'd chance it, if I were you. 

Of course, at my advanced age, how many healthy brain cells can I still have, right?   He-Heeeee!  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

...how many healthy brain cells can I still have, right?   He-Heeeee!  :lol:

We're not going to say zero, but it sure won't take long to take count!

;) 

Yeah, I mean...  We're all exposed to small amounts of lead anyway, so it's not as if we're going to have zero in our bloodstream.  I mean, if you read through the thread you get some idea of the amounts that are likely to be in there.  It's a small risk, certainly, if we're talking about ingesting such tiny amounts of the whiskey.  But I guess it all comes down to what we call "acceptable risk".

I'm always amazed at just having how many things I did as a kid should have left me with diminished brain capacity. I spent hours shooting lead pellets that I had to finger continually while trying to load them. Then without washing my hands would eat a sandwich for lunch and go right back to shooting pellets. Just how many days I spent painting and then cleaning my hands by dunking them into leaded gasoline. All the while living in a house with lead paint. 

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

We're not going to say zero, but it sure won't take long to take count!

;) 

TRUE DAT!!!!!   HA!   :wacko:

• 5 months later...

How many people are drinking whiskey from old decanters these days? I bought some Wild Turkey decanters with the intention of drinking them. After reading this, I think I'll stagger my consumption out over long periods of time. I just had 2 oz today from a 1971 Ezra Brooks decanter. Do those 3m strips work on the whiskey itself or only on the decanters?

• 2 months later...

I am glad I read this thread.  I have a line on about a dozen " heavy" Series 1 WT Decanters from the early 1970's. I guess I'll pass.

• 7 months later...

Reviving this. Recently, I came to posses multiple WT porcelain decanters. All of mine are from the 80s. I tried to follow this thread the best I could but have a few questions. 

1). Are there any WT decanters that have been proven to NOT have lead IE the mid to late 80s ones?

2). Is there much of a difference between porcelain and ceramic when it comes to the lead  issue?

thanks fellas. 

19 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Reviving this. Recently, I came to posses multiple WT porcelain decanters. All of mine are from the 80s. I tried to follow this thread the best I could but have a few questions. 

1). Are there any WT decanters that have been proven to NOT have lead IE the mid to late 80s ones?

2). Is there much of a difference between porcelain and ceramic when it comes to the lead  issue?

thanks fellas. 

I would just pick up some lead test strips, they have them at Home Depot or Lowes or I'm sure you could find them on Amazon. Shouldn't be more than 10 bucks probably. 

• I like it 1

On 6/11/2017 at 7:33 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I'm always amazed at just having how many things I did as a kid should have left me with diminished brain capacity. I spent hours shooting lead pellets that I had to finger continually while trying to load them. Then without washing my hands would eat a sandwich for lunch and go right back to shooting pellets. Just how many days I spent painting and then cleaning my hands by dunking them into leaded gasoline. All the while living in a house with lead paint. 

Not only that, you ate peanut butter! Your descendants will have diminished capacity for at least 1000 years.

On 1/30/2018 at 3:45 PM, Clifford said:

I am glad I read this thread.  I have a line on about a dozen " heavy" Series 1 WT Decanters from the early 1970's. I guess I'll pass.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:07 PM, Mako254 said:

thanks fellas. 

I think a lot of us have been there, done that.  I decided it wasn't worth the trouble nor the risk. I have one decanter for a decoration but I don't plan on drinking the contents.  Just buy a bottle of WT Decades for a benjamin for drinking, and sleep well at night.

19 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I think a lot of us have been there, done that.  I decided it wasn't worth the trouble nor the risk. I have one decanter for a decoration but I don't plan on drinking the contents.  Just buy a bottle of WT Decades for a benjamin for drinking, and sleep well at night.

Getting really philosophical here - Those of us in our 70s likely have suits, formal dresses and other clothes, FURNITURE, photos, FURNITURE, books, silver, crystal, porcelain dinnerware, records, tapes, CDs (but no 8-tracks, thank GOD) and other hardcopy stuff that our heirs will look at and decide just don't fit in a mobile/digital society.  This is not a new phenomenon.  Years ago, my crazy Mother told me about a guy she knew who had amassed a World-Class collection of brass steam engine train whistles.  (ASIDE - he had installed one in the exhaust pipe of his 1965 Olds, and when he felt like it, he'd yank on a cord, and the car's exhaust would sound that whistle - even semis would get out of his way.  Until he got ticketed by the CHP, anyway.)  When he died, nobody wanted the collection even for free, so a piece of history was sold for scrap.

IOW - if you like the way it looks, buy it and display it, but don't look at it as an investment. 

Edited by Harry in WashDC
typos dammit. I getting tired of fixing this old drunk's misteaks. hahahha

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Getting really philosophical here - Those of us in our 70s likely have suits, formal dresses and other clothes, FURNITURE, photos, FURNITURE, books, silver, crystal, porcelain dinnerware, records, tapes, CDs (but no 8-tracks, thank GOD) and other hardcopy stuff that our heirs will look at and decide just don't fit in a mobile/digital society.  This is not a new phenomenon.  Years ago, my crazy Mother told me about a guy she knew who had amassed a World-Class collection of brass steam engine train whistles.  (ASIDE - he had installed one in the exhaust pipe of his 1965 Olds, and when he felt like it, he'd yank on a cord, and the car's exhaust would sound that whistle - even semis would get out of his way.  Until he got ticketed by the CHP, anyway.)  When he died, nobody wanted the collection even for free, so a piece of history was sold for scrap.

IOW - if you like the way it looks, buy it and display it, but don't look at it as an investment. 

I was talking about deciding against drinking the whiskey inside (due to risk of lead poisoning), not purchasing the collectibles.

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

I was talking about deciding against drinking the whiskey inside (due to risk of lead poisoning), not purchasing the collectibles.

I saw that.  I thought your comment was spot-on.  But, I've been consuming a little VBT # 653 while reading the threads, and the combination of "I wouldn't take the chance" was excellent advice and one I've followed even when shopping for flasks (the few I've bought have no lead solder).  So, I decided to add the additional thought of, "Don't buy it for investment, either.  Buy it because you like its looks."  Did that make sense?  I sure hope so.:D

4 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I saw that.  I thought your comment was spot-on.  But, I've been consuming a little VBT # 653 while reading the threads, and the combination of "I wouldn't take the chance" was excellent advice and one I've followed even when shopping for flasks (the few I've bought have no lead solder).  So, I decided to add the additional thought of, "Don't buy it for investment, either.  Buy it because you like its looks."  Did that make sense?  I sure hope so.:D

Ahh OK, sorry I missed that.  Yes it makes perfect sense.  I couldn't agree more, in fact.  :- )

Edited by Kepler
SB.com smiley face emojis don't work

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

Ahh OK, sorry I missed that.  Yes it makes perfect sense.  I couldn't agree more, in fact.  :- )

Uh, just to let you know - I get that way when I post while sipping.  No reason for you to be sorry about doodly squat.  HOWEVER, I now know that it is time: as Samuel Pepys, used to say, "And so to bed.":ph34r:

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Those of us in our 70s likely have suits, formal dresses and other clothes, FURNITURE, photos, FURNITURE, books, silver, crystal, porcelain dinnerware, records, tapes, CDs (but no 8-tracks, thank GOD) and other hardcopy stuff that our heirs will look at and decide just don't fit in a mobile/digital society.  This is not a new phenomenon. 

Geez Harry, you weren't supposed to mention our dresses!   ☺️

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Geez Harry, you weren't supposed to mention our dresses!   ☺️

Harry in a formal dress...too funny :lol:

On 6/11/2017 at 7:33 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

You may be so contaminated that you didn't even notice that you died four years ago.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Finally, a legitimate defense for all the stupid things I do as an adult! Now all I have to do is remember to use it...……..

• 1 year later...

March 26/2020... Just received results from testing a sample of a 1970 Old Fitzgerald BIB 'Blarney Bottle'.  Performed by the Chemistry Department of Texas A&M Commerce, directed by Dr. Laurence Angel, Professor of Chemistry, who states the analysis determined a lead concentration of 4.4 ppm (parts per million) which is about 300 times higher than the 15 ppb (parts per billion) EPA standard for drinking water.  So the lead value is high and indicates paint from the porcelain decanter has contaminated the bourbon. 

1970 Old Fitzgerald BIB Blarney Bottle Tax Stamp.jpg

1970 Old Fitz Blarney Bottle Bottom.jpg

• I like it 5

Lead poisoning is mostly a problem with children and their development, which of course is why lead being in candy is such a big problem.  For older adults, our cells are dieing, not developing, so it takes a much higher amount to effect them, which is why we have a higher tolerance to lead and the side effects of lead poisoning are relatively minor mainly high blood pressure and body aches.  I highly doubt just having the occasional small glass of porcelain decanted bourbon is anything to seriously worry about unless you're drinking it on a weekly basis.  That said over a half million people die of lead poisoning a year so go ahead and worry away.  Many more people will die this year of lead poisoning than Covid-19.

Edited by BrokeCal
  • I like it 1

TuronTuffy, Thanks for the interesting post.  I have a "Songs Of Ireland" decanter that I found empty.  Did the scientists themselves offer any advice about tasting.  I think 300 times higher lead than EPA standard for drinking water is way to much for me to even consider.  At some level, the lead will effect the taste too.

You're in TX, go find yourself a bottle of Weller SR to drink. ??

The decanter is just for looking.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.