George Washington Distillery

bgageus
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife and I made atrip out to Mt. Vernon, and passed right by the house and went directly to the more interesting part, the gristmill and distillery.

They appeared to recreate the historical process, this was a very interesting visit, showing the early years and ways of distilling. I hear that the distiller there is formerly from Makers? I have also heard they are aging a little product, but now all that is available is the white dog and it sells out the day its released. It appears that the $85 per pint price tag is set too low.

Anyay, my wife wrote about our trip in her blog, http://acookwalksintoabar.com/2011/07/06/george-washington-in-hot-water/

About once a year they do an event at Washington's distillery where they actually distill alcohol. Dave Pickerell, former Master Distiller at Maker's Mark, is typically there for those events but so are other present and former distillers.

I think Dave has been down there a couple of times in the last few months making rye by himself. I wish I had time to go help. Last fall, he and I and sveral other distillers make some fine peach brandy. It is aging. But I drank my share white. And it is all gone, dammit.

Well if Dave needs any help, he can feel free do give me a ring, and I would be willing to trot over and learn some things.

Try the Washington State Distillery, Dry Fly. They are releasing their first Washington Straight Bourbon in 2 weeks. Tough to get a bottle. www.dryflydistilling.com

Try the Washington State Distillery, Dry Fly. They are releasing their first Washington Straight Bourbon in 2 weeks. Tough to get a bottle. www.dryflydistilling.com

Excellent news, because when I think of Washington State I always get a craving for expensive underaged bourbon.

Thanks for the production update, ShillieM.

Baby steps.

It's three years old, which makes it one of the oldest micro-distillery whiskeys on the market. Okay, so that puts it in a class with Ancient Age, Old Crow and Early Times (KY whiskey), and younger than McAfee's Benchmark and Ten High.

I know Don Poffenroth slightly and I would say their hearts are in the right place. They get it.

And at least they don't make shit up.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's available in Virginia ABC 375ml (unaged?) for $95 and 375ml 2yr $185. Both at 86 proof. Though I like sampling novel stuff, it's probably going to be a long while before I'll give a personal taste report.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.