BOTM 8/11: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry I'm late this month. There goes the streak.:rolleyes:

I have a few reasons for making KCSBR the BOTM.

(In no particular order.)

#1. I though it was time to give something from the Jim Beam Distillery a whirl.

#2. It's a newer product, and most of the talk has died down about this bottling. (re: MM last month)

#3. It's getting a bit tough to try and come up with something for the BOTM that hasn't been done before, and be one that has a wide release and can be purchased, enjoyed and discussed by the majority of members here on the board.

I am always open to suggestions for the BOTM. To be honest, there have been members that have made some good suggestions that I have used. So.... keep those cards and letters rolling in folks. :grin: In other words, feel free to PM me with any suggestions.

Now, without any more :bs: :shithappens: :horseshit:, the BOTM.

Here are my thoughts FWIW.

I have to give Jim Beam credit for trying to come up with a new and different product, but to be honest, I was a little disappointed in this bourbon. Higher proof. Yes. More flavor. Maybe a little. The nose was promising. Smoke & oak for sure, with a bit of something fruity or sweet that I just couldn't put my finger on. I didn't get any of the nutty, caramel, vanilla nose or taste that the Beam website touts though. There was a hot, and odd spicy flavor in the bottle I had. Instead of a nutty flavor, it was more like when you accidentally eat a piece of the shell. The fruity/sweetness, that was there in the nose, seemed to taste like an odd/bad cake frosting instead of vanilla or caramel. Beam yeast???? The finish was hot and fairly long, but the high proof/alcohol covered up most of the flavor on the finish. I will say that while I didn't really enjoy drinking this neat or with a few cubes, I thought it was pretty good with some Coke. I dunno. Maybe I had a "off" bottle.

Post away folks. Let's get your thoughts on KCSBR. Cheers! Joe

1. Cap Ripken's 2632 consecutive games played streak

2. Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak

3. Fishnbowljoe's consecutive on time BOTM streak

All good things must come to an end sometime!

Good thoughts, Joe. I felt my bottle was quite similar to regular Knob Creek but just more intense on all counts except it showed the Beam signature flavour very clearly. Regular KC seems to downplay it usually (that mushroom/vegetable/yeast-like taste). It's a good value factoring the proof and age but I can't see buying it again.

I'd like to echo thoughts on another thread that it would be very interesting to see a Beam bourbon released at 12-15 years old as some was back in the 1960's and 70's.

Gary

I've seen this listed on line for $37, but I believe it was even a bit higher at a few of rhe retailers where I saw it in person. Maybe I'd try it if I found a 50ml bottle, or a good sale. Are all the Beam bourbons the same mash bill? My impression is that they start the same, but differ in age, proof, some are single barrel.

Picked up a bottle of Binny's private barrel (#4) of this stuff. Have not cracked it yet. My assumption is it will be a cut above the standard bottling.

Has anyone tried any of the KCSBR private barrel offerings from Binny's? Thoughts or comparisons between the Binny's barrels?

I posted elsewhere that the one pour of KCSB I had a in a bar reminded me way too much of Jim Beam Black at barrel strength. I'm not sure I want to drop $40+ to see if my initial impression was correct.

I like the standard KC quite well. I like the SBR even better. No, it isn't a spectacular bourbon, but it is very good bourbon that I enjoy frequently.

Maybe I'm one of the oddballs that likes the flavor profile of Beam products. I do think the SBR is a tad pricey, though.

I dont mind standard KC, never buy it for home. I did go through 2 bottles of this and thought they were pretty good.

I have not gone back and bought anymore in months mostly because that "why am I paying $40 for that?" alarm went off in my head every time I looked at it on the shelf.

I haven't done extensive comparisons yet, but my experience so far is that the Julio's bottling was far superior to a standard KCSBR bought at the same store. Blind I would have thought they were completely different bourbons ... I much preferred the Julio's selection - it reminded me of the FR 2009 Ltd. Ed.

I like my bottle of KCSB, though I'm not in love with it. It's straight-up Beam in the end, which is fine by me, though it plays a slightly different note to the other two Small Batch bottlings that use the Beam mash bill. I liken the KCSB to dark chocolate, whereas Booker's strikes me as more of a candy bar and Baker's is cashew brittle. Or something like that. Anyway, here are my notes, for what they're worth.

Nose: cocoa, cherries, peppermint, and cinnamon. It is oaky, buttery, and, like Joe thought, yeasty.

Palate: slightly astringent, hot, and spicy. There's also orange peel, chocolate, banana, and a streak of molten cinnamon.

Wasn't particularly impressed when I tried it. I found the alcohol to be too hot for a high proof bourbon. The heat and burn I experienced were not pleasant sensations in my opinion.

Great premise... but, alas, much ado about not so much.

Better than the regular KC --- but only.

I must have got honey barrel because mine is outstanding. The nose has carmel and vanilla and some wood. The color is a dark clover honey brown with orange highlights. The mouth feel is much like the regular KC. But the burn ripples from the front to the back (think VW). And the caramel and vanilla are still there along with some mint and mapley syrup. I am very happy with this bourbon, on par with many of the top names in bourbon. It is a Single barrel product and I would not be surprised with some barrel to barrel variation but mine is a outstanding pour.

Are all the Beam bourbons the same mash bill?

As far as the small batch bourbons from Beam go, there are three mashbills. In addition to the KC, Basil Hayden carries the highest rye content, while Booker's and Bakers share the third.

As far as the small batch bourbons from Beam go, there are three mashbills. In addition to the KC, Basil Hayden carries the highest rye content, while Booker's and Bakers share the third.

Not according to our very own Whiskey Tree. Baker's, Booker's, and Knob Creek all share the same basic (lower rye) Beam mash bill; of the four "small batch" bourbons, only Basil Hayden's has a different mash bill.

Not according to our very own Whiskey Tree. Baker's, Booker's, and Knob Creek all share the same basic (lower rye) Beam mash bill; of the four "small batch" bourbons, only Basil Hayden's has a different mash bill.

Hmm, I was thinking there were three, but I'm not going to question the tree.

At the distillery, they show bottles of White, Black, Devil's Cut, KC, BH, Booker's, and Bakers. Each has the raw grains in them in proportion to the actual mashbill used. I asked to see each, and thought I remembered seeing three, but my memory can't be trusted.

Here's what I said about my first sips of a Binny's bottling back in June on the "What Bourbon are you Drinking" thread...

The Binny's bottling of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve which is just outstanding. This is on the same level for me as other great releases of the past year such as the BTACs, FR barrel strengths and PHC wheater. I brought her down tonight to about 90 proof and it's still thick enough you could cut the peanuts and chocolate out with a knife.

I have since finished the bottle and I must say my enthusiasm for it died down as I progressed through it. It started to become a bit one dimensional meaning the dark flavors continued to dominate with not as much subtlety as I thought. Still it is a very good bourbon, a notch above the regular bottling and I plan to buy another which is an endorsement from me. As an added benefit, if I'm not using rye, Knob Creek is my favorite bourbon to use in a Manhatttan and the Single Barrel Reserve is that much better to use in one also.

I found a bottle in Little Rock and claimed possession. Unlike some folks on the site, I like Beam products. My comments: First, this isn't a true single barrel. Otherwise we'd have barrel numbers on our bottles, and no two would be exactly alike. If they are actually bottling it as a SB, that explains the wide disparity among the comments on the board, but why don't they let us know which barrel we're drinking from?

As to the nose and taste, I did not find enough difference between SB and regular KC to warrant the price difference. I enjoyed them both (side by side). SB was obviously stronger, but in some ways I enjoyed the flavor of regular better than SB. I doubt that I'll be in a hurry to buy another, at least not until they are willing to tell me which barrel I'm drinking from. (but I always try to keep KC, JB black, Baker's , and - to the horror of many on this board - Basil Hayden on hand. but we all know I"m weird anyway!

First, this isn't a true single barrel. Otherwise we'd have barrel numbers on our bottles, and no two would be exactly alike. If they are actually bottling it as a SB, that explains the wide disparity among the comments on the board, but why don't they let us know which barrel we're drinking from?

Actually, there are at least a few single barrel bourbons on the market without any obvious barrel info (e.g., Eagle Rare 10 SB, Elmer T Lee). I'm fairly confident that KCSB is in fact a single barrel bourbon, just like any other. The wide variation in tastes for it might be due to variation among the barrels, as you suggest, or just due to variation in how much everyone likes a Beam product.

I was really looking forward to the release of KCSBR earlier this spring because I like regular KC. Tasting the two offferings side by side, I still preferred the regular KC.

Tonight I stopped by Party Source and they have their own KCSBR bottling. I did not pick up a bottle, but may have to stop by soon and get one to try.

but we all know I"m weird anyway!

Stu, I am very sorry I missed "Understatement Day" which apparently occurred on the Ninth of August in the year of our Lord 2011.

Hmm, I was thinking there were three, but I'm not going to question the tree.

At the distillery, they show bottles of White, Black, Devil's Cut, KC, BH, Booker's, and Bakers. Each has the raw grains in them in proportion to the actual mashbill used. I asked to see each, and thought I remembered seeing three, but my memory can't be trusted.

Feel free to question the tree all you want, I won't take it personally! If you or anyone else has facts the may contradict what is on that tree, please post them there.

• 2 months later...

Normal KCSBR is not something I'll be purchasing again.

It's hot, spicy, cinnamon red hots, with a promise of something possibly nice and sweet, but never fulfils.

I think this will become my next mixer bourbon.

Now that I've finished a second bottle, I'll say this...I like KCSBR. I don't think it's a big leap better than the regular offering. I like that it's 120 proof and I think it does have a bit more flavor... but I don't think it's worth $40.00 for the slight improvment over the regular expression.

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure whether to chalk this up to differences in opinion on Beam, or variations inherit on Single Barrel bourbons, but like several others, I found this to be amazingly good compared with the somewhat tepid reviews of most here.

Yes, the alcohol is a bit much on the nose of it, but I chalked that up to the higher proof. Definitely vanilla and Maple Syrup dominate the nose with a bit of dark fruit.

It is a bit disappointing that the vanilla does not come through on the pallate anywhere as near as clearly as it does on the nose, but caramel, and the maple syrup is definitely there before settling down with some Oak and peppery spices on the back end, with just a hint of the black licorice that I like so much about Jim Beam Black (just much less of it).

The finish is short and finally gives you a hint of that vanilla that the nose promised. A little burn, but not much.

Of my "everyday" bourbons, this and WTRB currently hold a special spot as what I look forward to on a Friday night to celebrate the end of the week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.