Jack On CNBC Tonight.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight, cable network CNBC, as part of its "CNBC Titans" series, presents an hour-long documentary about Jack Daniel's. It airs at 10 pm and 1 am ET. There are clips on their web site. Also, look on the web site for an article about Jack that quotes me.

Based on a quick look at the web site, it appears they are buying into all the myths. I have enjoyed some of the "CNBC Titans" programs but they are very much puff pieces primarily sourced from the PR department of the subject company.

Sounds like this thread will soon look like a "Things Tour Guides Say" thread.

I watched it. It had more to do with the people behind Jack Daniel than it had to do with whiskeymaking. I was a little dissapointed.

Joe :usflag:

I watched it. It had more to do with the people behind Jack Daniel than it had to do with whiskeymaking. I was a little dissapointed.

Joe :usflag:

Well, it's an episode of a show about business success stories, on a channel about business. We are more interested in the whiskey, but the CNBC audience is probably more interested in the rest of it.

I thought it was pretty entertaining but not particularly enlightening. Peter Krass was probably the only person they talked to who is not employed in some way by the brand. He has some opinions that don't gibe with the official story, but none of those were used. The CNBC Titans series mostly lets the subject companies tell their own story their way, and this was no exception.

That said, Lynne Tolley drove me a little crazy with her, "this tiny little distillery" thing, repeated over and over. Jack Daniel's is not tiny. It is the single largest whiskey distillery in the United States.

I completely missed this. Any info on repeat showings? Then I can DVR it

I enjoyed it, but I thought it would at least pan out into the influence Jack has/had on other whiskeys and spirits as a "leader" in the marketplace. It was very focused on the brand and the marketing.

I have found with all of CNBC's documentaries that they are about 90 percent exactly what the company's PR department would say, with a maximum 10% of content the company might prefer to leave alone, to give it a sheen of journalistic cred. In other words, they're mostly puff, but not quite all puff. Pretty much like business journalism in general.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.