My e-mail to Woodford Reserve

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Below is the transcript of an e-mail I recently sent to Labrot and Grahm regarding Woodford Reserve and the reply I recieved. Looks like were getting close. laugh.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Could you tell me if the bourbon now in the Woodford Reserve bottles is the bourbon distilled and aged at the Labrot and Grahm distillery? If not, when do you plan on releasing this bourbon, and will there be a special Announcement?

Thank You!

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to write.

No, the bourbon now in the Woodford Reserve bottles is not the bourbon that is distilled and aged at the Labrot and Grahm distillery.

Our pot-distilled bourbon should be on the market sometime this year, but we're not sure of the exact date yet. You can't rush the aging of good whiskey! We'll be sure to let our friends know when we have a better idea of the official release date.

Thanks again for writing

Judy Heslar

WoodfordReserve.com

Jeff,

Thanks for posting this information. I've been wondering when they will finally release their pot-still bourbon. Yet another good thing to look forward to! smile.gif

Bob

Last year at the bourbon festival we got to taste some of that bourbon from the pot stills... It will be intresting to see if they put that into woodford reserve (having the taste change), or if they create a new brand for it... Part of me would imagine they wouldn't want to mess with the Woodford reserve brand and that they would create another one, but then again I would imagine that it probably costs a lot of money to 'create' a new label and get it out there with marketing and whatnot... who knows... I just hope whatever it is that they don't end up sending all of the best stuff overseas with none sold here...

Here is what I personally hope they will do. Retain the current Woodford Reserve bottling as is and make a slightly different brand for the pot still product. I.e., keep at least the term "Woodford" in the new name, but make it just different enough to know that is something different.

Tim

What they have told people, myself included at that same session last September, has changed over time and gone back and forth. One minute it's going to be a new, pot-stilled brand, the next minute they're going to make it taste like current Woodford and bottle it as that. I don't think it's anything other than they haven't really decided and we won't know for sure what they're going to do until they do it. Actually, they may already be doing it. If they decide to use the pot-stilled whiskey in current Woodford (probably mixed with the whiskey made at ET), they may not announce that fact.

The "retro-innovation" of creating pot still bourbon rquired so much cost, time and effort, that it would seem a shame for them to just use it to "enhance" a current brand. The extreme case, attempting to actually make it taste like the current Woodford Reserve, rather than a great new whiskey, seems like a total waste of this effort. Of course, they would still be able to use the experience as a spring board to create other new brands as well.

I was thinking the same thing. Just to blend in with something else, why bother?

I would like to see a pure pot still bourbon carrying the Woodford identity, but not the exact "Woodford Reserve Distillers Select" label. And I would like to see the original WR remain intact.

Tim

I would like to see a pure pot still bourbon carrying the Woodford identity, but not the exact "Woodford Reserve Distillers Select" label. And I would like to see the original WR remain intact.

I heard last year that we are not too far off from seeing Four Roses Single Barrel in the states... I cannot wait for that seeing as how good it is! But even more, which I know will not happen, I would really love to see their Super Premium available here. I say these companies need to begin sharing some more bourbon's with us that are otherwise unavailable on a limited release basis.

As Pepcycle and I enjoyed a robust portion of FRSB, Master Distiller Jim Rutedge told us to expect a release date near August in the Golden Triangle of Ky ( Louisville , Lexington, Northern Ky) and to other parts of the state later as a test market. And I guess the test is can they keep up with demand, this is a fine drink, fine indeed. We hope they keep the present bottle as well! grin.gif

With the success of GTS and OFBB, I hope the industry gets the message that they can sell alot of premium, limited distribution expressions here. However, I hope they can do it without breaking our banks. There still is alot of really good stuff available now at $50/bottle and below, so I won't be going after very limited, expensive bottlings like the Sam's version of ORVW. However, I will buy a bottle or two (or more if it has GTS-like greatness) of any great bourbon under $50, just to have it and try it.

Great news Bobby, Jim's the one who told me to expect it soon, but he wasn't sure then of a timeframe... Hopefully some can be found come this years festival!

Likewise in my last communication with Jim he said he hoped FRSB would be available soon, but he didn't offer a date. He did say that they really don't have enough stock yet for a national U.S. rollout of any of their brands, but they are working on it.

He did say that they really don't have enough stock yet for a national U.S. rollout of any of their brands, but they are working on it.

Are all those warehouses full?

It's also possible they're renting warehouse space to some of the other companies. Virtually all of the warehouses in Kentucky are pretty full and everybody rents space to everybody else, rather than build new rickhouses. WT built a new one two years ago but otherwise I don't know of too many.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.