Evan Williams 1990

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I used to think I did not like Evan Williams' vintages, however at Allens last night I had a shot of the 1990. I found it great: good deep body, balanced, oaky (more than charred, almost Canadian-like in this regard), and dry. This is not the rich brown sugar type of whiskey but more the refined dry style. I noted earlier discussion of the early 90's Evan Williams. Could someone (Linn?) recap their merits? Where would you situate the '90 in the range?

Cy

Here ya go:

My Tasting of EWSB '90

and

Linn's tasting of EWSB '90

What I remember of it was that although it was a rather light and drinkable (very approachable) bourbon, it did not skimp on the nuances found in a good bourbon. It had so many hints of flavor it was hard to pull them all out. It is the best expression from Heaven Hill I have tried to this day.

TomC

Thanks Tom for locating these excellent comments, I agree with both. There is a subtle quality where lots is happening but in a refined way. The signature HH "grassiness" as you called it (I call it "camphor") is there but it is the barest hint, just noticeable in the aftertaste. The same for all the other elements noted. This is one too I found where you have to take large sips to "get" this bourbon. The HH BIB (10 years old) is much more feisty compared to this '90 which presents refinement and complexity. I found the overall profile light too but in the best way possible. Like the Hancock it seems light and heavy at the same time.

Cy

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Cy, as you can tell I really like all the subtile complexities of the 1990 vintage Evan Williams Single Barrel. The 1993 is a nice return to pleasent 1990 memories. I don't know why the 1993 isn't getting better press. I think it is an excellent expression of Parker Beam's whiskey in every way. => Linn

I never had the 90, hope to try it one day. My mouth did the happy dance with the 93. I keep the bottle in it's box on the back of the shelf or it would be gone.

EWSB 90 Sighting:

Last week I was riding one of the Limiteds up Madison on my way home after work and missed my stop while reading the CNN headlines on my phone browser. frown.gif I bailed out 10 blocks into Harlem and proceeded to walk back down Madison.

Well, darn if there ain't a liquor store at 96th & Madison that I had totally forgotten about. Lo and behold, these guys still have 3 bottles of EWSB 1990 on the shelf. They've got it priced in the mid-$20s. If anyone wants me to score one or all of them, let me know. smile.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
ooo.gif Buy them all, Cliff! I'll take one and Blackie another. Is your bunker so full that you can't stand another never to be bottled again single barrel bourbon? confused.gif - Linn

• 2 weeks later...

OK, OK, I bought them for you! Seems they had more than were on the shelves, too, so if anyone else needs a 1990 for the bunker, I'll clean out the store for you.

• 1 month later...

The EWSB vintage 1990s are still here for board members who would like to trade or deal. Let me know if you want one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.