Something Lighter

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While I don’t have a “bourbon bunker†(actually, I have two. They are called “Sam’s†and “Binny’s.â€), I usually have a good selection of bourbons on hand. Lately, my stash has been dominated by intense, complex, long-aged, high proof bourbons: Stagg, Pure KY XO, Ezra B. Even Old Forester 100, Old Commonwealth, Corner Creek and Van Winkle Rye – all in the cupboard at the moment – are pretty intense. The other night it was just too much. I wanted something a little lighter, so I turned to my Four Roses and it really hit the spot. I could have gone to the Dickel and probably had the same refreshing interlude, but Four Roses got the job done.

The point, I guess, is that bourbon offers a range of taste experiences for many different moments and moods. That’s why I don’t like to get too locked in to a couple of favorites and why I chafe when people ask me, as they constantly do, “what’s the best bourbon?â€

As the kids say, “It’s all good.â€

I completely agree. My favorite bourbon is what I want to drink at that moment. smirk.gif I go through phases where one bourbon strikes my fancy and I can't get enough of it. Other times, I can go weeks or months without touching it.

The bourbon and coke drinkers will never understand this. They only associate bourbon with a heavy dose of sugar for the sole purposes of getting a buzz. But, they tend to be the crowd that asks me what "the best bourbon" is. They usually don't like me to tell them that if they drown it in coke, then it really doesn't matter what bourbon you have. Heck, save your money and buy Aristocrat. But, being an easy to get along kind of guy, I just tell them that Old Forrester is a great bargain and better than Jim white, Jack black, or Makers. And it's the same price or cheaper than those. They seem enlightened by this nugget of bourbononia secrets and they go off happy. Of course, they probably will never buy the OF, but, heck, they feel smarter and I didn't embarrass them.

But, back to your original topic....I like to have a couple "light" choices in the cabinet. Usually it's one of the Old Fitz varieties or Wathens.

Bring on the flames! I drink bourbon with coke. I also drink it neat, and with crushed ice (Best after a little melt). When I want to taste a bourbon I drink it neat. When I want to enjoy an evening of drinking I mix or drink on ice. If I were to sit down and drink straight bourbon all night I would fall over in short order. If I could only have one shot of EWSB, EC18YO or other fine bourbon it would be neat, if I have a bottle the first is neat and the next will be on ice or OMG with a dash of cola. I just felt the need to be honest. Hope I do not get kicked of the board.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I just felt the need to be honest. Hope I do not get kicked off the board

Kicked off the board? No. Kicked in the @ss? Maybe grin.gif Actually I have no problem with the way a man drinks his bourbon, so long as it's bourbon and not a "fuzzy navel" or some other less manly drink. I will say that for me, cola with bourbon turns me off. I like bourbon, I like coke, but together they taste sour and syrupy. Same with Ginger Ale and Rye. Other rave about it, but it justs tastes off to me.

Wathens is a lot of good things to me, but in my opinion, light isnt one of them. . . . .strikes me as a good winter bourbon actually (its what I put in one of the few mixed alcoholic beverages, my bourbon and egg nog, this year)

Eh, who knows?? confused.gif

TomC

Along with Dickel No.12, there are several bourbons I like because they are so light, and often have them on the porch swing after mowing the lawn.

VA Gentleman, The Fox

EWSB '90

Four Roses (which I wish had a little more oomph, if only cause it tastes so good I want a little more of the flavor!!)

Even my favorite standby "everyday pour" AAA 10 year is on the lighter sweeter end of the spectrum to me.

That is one of the things I have grown to love about bourbon, there is a bottling for every mood in this one genre of whiskey alone.

Now if I could only find the $$$ for them all. . .

Tom (Yep, It's all good. . .) C

I agree with your assessment of Wathen's Tom. To me it is a nice and satisfying full-bodied bourbon. My favorite lighter bourbons are Maker's Mark, The Fox, and Old Fitz.

Kicked in the @ss? Maybe

You are right, it's not light. (I had some with dinner last night after writing that post.) Smoooooooth is probably a better term for Wathens. It just does down so easy and is very easy to drink.

Kicked off the board - heck no. We'd start with the S drinkers before we'd get to you. wink.gif

Seriously, I have no criticism about how a person likes their bourbon or if they like S. My rant was more about pretenders, not about mixing with coke.

Drink what you like! We don't want everyone drinking the same thing and having the same opinions. Diversity here is great.

When I want to enjoy an evening of drinking I mix or drink on ice.

I agree about the Fox and should have mentioned it, because it is in my cupboard as well. I guess I have 10 American whiskies "in play" at the moment, sort of a mini-bunker.

I drink whisky neat at least 90% of the time. I do like mixed drinks, usually Canadian and ginger ale. I also like Manhattans--the only mixed drink I regularly drink using bourbon.

I would have to say that i hardly have anything at all with my bourbon... if ever anything it is a bit of crushed ice to cool it off a bit on a particularly hot night... As it melts it changes the flavors of some bourbons (i guess flavors that are obscured by other flavors are no longer hidden, and sometimes they are good flavors, sometimes they are not)...

One thing that I definitely have to admit is that I tend to drink very slowly... Ask Paradox... grin.gif I remember times that Mark was on #2 or #3 and I am still finishing #1...

I had to giggle... </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

a "fuzzy navel" or some other less manly drink

Chuck,

Just read your post and you are absolutely 100% right. There is a whole lot to be said about the post you just made. By the way, that is no mini-bunker you have.

Cheers,

Marvin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.