The Chicago Sour

AaronWF
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a wonderful wedding anniversary dinner last night at a Chicago special occasion stand-by, Bistro Campagne. The restaurant truly never disappoints, and I would recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone looking for a sophisticated, laid back, romantic and/or warm dinner destination. Spectacular food and first rate service.

I ordered what they call their Chicago Sour as an aperitif, and it really impressed in its mellow complexity.

Ingredients:

Lion's Pride Dark Wheat Whiskey

1 shot Grand Marnier

1/2 a squeezed lemon

Ruby Port float

As told to me by the bartender, it's the port float finish that gives the drink its city-of-origin name, as the traditional Chicago whiskey sour was made that way. At least I think that's what he said.

I haven't tried Koval's Dark Wheat whiskey by itself, so it's hard for me to comment on its affect in the drink, but if I made the drink at home, the first whiskey I'd turn to would be ORVW 10/107.

The drink was smooth with a slightly tart entrance, a ruddy, mellow middle, and a sweetly herbal finish that lingered as it progressed to a numby-licorice end. The natural maraschino cherries were an appropriate treat in the midst of the drink.

I second the love for Bistro Campagne.

And the Chicago Sour sounds like something I'm going to have to try to make here at home. Made my first-ever Sazeracs last weekend (complete with Baby Saz and Peyquad's bitters, but with the tiniest smidge of lemon juice in loo of the twist due to bad planning) and they were well received.

I had a wonderful wedding anniversary dinner last night at a Chicago special occasion stand-by, Bistro Campagne. The restaurant truly never disappoints, and I would recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone looking for a sophisticated, laid back, romantic and/or warm dinner destination. Spectacular food and first rate service.

I ordered what they call their Chicago Sour as an aperitif, and it really impressed in its mellow complexity.

Ingredients:

Lion's Pride Dark Wheat Whiskey

1 shot Grand Marnier

1/2 a squeezed lemon

Ruby Port float

As told to me by the bartender, it's the port float finish that gives the drink its city-of-origin name, as the traditional Chicago whiskey sour was made that way. At least I think that's what he said.

I haven't tried Koval's Dark Wheat whiskey by itself, so it's hard for me to comment on its affect in the drink, but if I made the drink at home, the first whiskey I'd turn to would be ORVW 10/107.

The drink was smooth with a slightly tart entrance, a ruddy, mellow middle, and a sweetly herbal finish that lingered as it progressed to a numby-licorice end. The natural maraschino cherries were an appropriate treat in the midst of the drink.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.