Hopped Whiskey

timd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anybody heard of this - much less tried it?

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/hop-flavored-whiskey-spirit-review-charpbay-hop-flavored-whiskey.html

Hopped whiskey - at the ridiculous price of $325/bottle I'm never going to buy it, but I'd love to see what it tastes like!

Interesting concept - one I've long pondered over. I think it would be very interesting to make a beer - bottle & carbonate it, and then have a whiskey made from the identical mash!

I don't think I would enjoy the hop notes and mj notes do not

speak to me as a desirable palate taste in whiskey.

It may taste better with a cigar.

I've tried both of the Charbay hopped whiskey releases, and I really like them both. They are truly unlike anything else on the market. They are made from finished beer (i.e. not wash made just to ferment for whiskey), and the hops gives it a spicy quality much different from rye spice. They have become sort of a cult thing in California (maybe that's because of the marijuana notes).

It is unfortunate that they are priced at such a ridiculously high level because they really are good.

They also do a new make made from an IPA, but I'm not a big new make fan.

Im not a fan of hop flavored whiskey. I think Stranahans has hops, but they will not admit it. I am a big fan of the flovor of mj but not when mixed with whiskey.

...I think it would be very interesting to make a beer - bottle & carbonate it, and then have a whiskey made from the identical mash!

• 2 months later...

Tried some that Corsair was experimenting with last winter. I have been patiently waiting for a version to be sold to the public. About 6 weeks ago I received a message they were barreling it. I believe they called it Rasputin Hopped Whiskey. It was fantastic. Not sure what the price point will be, but as much as I liked it I won't touch it if it is close to $325. It takes something pretty special to pay that much for a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't find anything more special than Charbay out there :-)

And it's well aged as well. I've seen a lot of similar priced whiskies, a lot younger and not very good

Charbay is expensive, but if you look for rarity, quality and how "special" the whisky is, this is actual something to look out for

A lot of whiskies claims to be rare without being it. This one actually is

In mo opinion this is also in a totally other league than other micro whiskies I have tasted from America, Hootalings and McCarthy's being only two up there as well I can think of right now

Steffen

PS, I tasted the new Abhainn Dearg last weekend. 150£, 3yo first release, 50cl. 40%. Pricewise this is more expensive than Charbay. I didn't like the whisky thou - First release price like this is pretty standard

Don't get me going on prices on danish whisky. It's younger, it's crap and its more expensive

Steffen

• 3 months later...

Sku and Steffen are right. Charbay is ridiculous. I've had the first and second releases and both are something special. Yes, it's unlike anything out there. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it may even be an acquired taste (some have noted the marijuana notes I definitely got off of it). But holy crap, it is incredible.

"Just" 6 years? Absolutely phenomenal in those 6 years. Release I is aged even less and in many ways I might like it better....

Something peculiar is that in a beer, hop flavours will deteriate and dissapear (Pliny the Elder is labeled : Don't age this beer)

Charbay, on the other side, seems to intensify the hop flavours as the whisky gets more mature. I secured myself a bottle of the 12yo. Which I am happy about. I've seen 100's of whiskies naming themselves unique, this is one that really is

Steffen

Steffen, we discussed this one briefly elsewhere.

I still haven't cracked my 12y Charbay but I noticed a difference as well. You're right on the character of the hops intensifying, though at least to my taste when thinking of countless IPAs, the first release and the second release, it's more of the earthy, funky, oily side of hops that were more intense. I thought that the first release was a bit brighter and cleaner, but that second one had just the right amount of grunge on it.

I'll have to see how I feel when I try the 12 but I don't see opening my bottle anytime soon...

New Holland has a young whiskey called Hatter Royale that is hopped after distilling. It tastes a lot like tequila. Not bad at all, just something of a gimmick.

In case anyone is a beer geek, I think they use Centennial hops.

I have had a taste of the Charbay thanks to a member on this board and I have to admit... it was excellent. Having made quite a bit of hopped whiskey using a variety of techniques myself, I am almost 100% positive they did not achieve that flavor by simply distilling beer.

For me, hopped whiskey is not an everyday pour, but there are times when it really hits the spot. I found myself drinking it when I was up late working on grants (or sermons!) and wanted a pour that I could sip on for quite a while.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.