Sam's Bottling: 20 Year Old Van Winkle Bourbon

Bob
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

An update for those of you waiting for this bottling: I asked David Soto of Sam's for some info regarding the status of this bottling, and here's his reply. He believes that it will be available in about 3 more weeks frown.gif , and that he will e-mail everyone that has placed an order once he has a definite arrival date and price to confirm orders.

Hopefully, the arrival date won't get extended much further, and the price will not rise from what it was originally.

Bob

I hear that. I can take waiting longer if necessary, but I DO hope the price does not increase...

• 1 month later...

This is just to update everyone about the arrival of the Barrel Proof Pappy Van Winkle 20 year at Sams. As of today the expected arrival date at Sams is Thursday (approximately). Emails should go out to those who called over there and left their names on the list for a bottle. The price still has not been set either. I cannot wait to get a taste of this already! If it's as good as I am expecting it to be, Julian is a lucky man! toast.gif

Ok all you bourbon fanatics! The day has come, Barrel Proof Pappy Van Winkle 20 year is about 1 hour from being hand delivered over at Sams. There aren't that many bottles to go around, but there are still bottles left. The price as it sits right now is $99.99. There will also be an ad ran about this bottling in The Malt Advocate from what I am told. People who have orders in, you can expect to have the order shipped Monday as with the holiday weekend they don't want the bottles just sitting around some where. Hope this news cheers up those with orders in who have been waiting as eagerly as I. toast.gif

It's here! smile.gif I got bottle number 12 of 60. As expected, the bourbon has a nice deep red amber color.

I can't decide whether to crack it open right away or save it! confused.gifbanghead.gif

post-120-1448981118914_thumb.jpg

CL,

I agree with Speedy John, drink it man, drink it! drink.gif As I was out of town when the good news arrived that this bottling was finally in, mine won't be here until Friday, but hell, after all the anticipation, what's a few more days? smirk.gif Let us know what you think of it, if you do decide to crack it open.

Bob

As far as me getting mine so soon, I was in the right place at the right time.

I live in NC. Sam's can't deliver to NC. frown.gif

However, I am spending this week at my parents' in WV. Sam's can deliver to WV. smile.gif Also, I got the shipment so soon because UPS will not deliver spirits in WV. So, I had to "settle" for FedEx two day smile.gif which only cost a couple buck more anyway. smile.gif

The best part is I was able to personally answer the door and take delivery this morning. smile.gif In fact, it came literally two minutes after I remembered and remarked to my Mom that I was going to get a present today. What timing!

CL,

You sure were in the right place, at the right time! I guess that's why your 4 happy faces laugh.gif outnumber the one sad face frown.gif When I get mine, I'll have lots of happy faces too! smile.gifsmile.gif

Bob

Omar: You just need to go flat mode and head North! The pic's been there all along!

How did you get that picture inline in your post? I thought that, since the software change, the pictures were presented only as attachments, like it was in my post.

Chuck,

He used the image function instead of an attachment. Just click on image and put a link to a picture on a website. He just linked to the picture on a previous post.

Yep, you just have to think around the software limitations for us threaded viewers (w/o making Jim go nuts rewriting the software)... idea2.gifwink.gif

Next time you make a post and add an attatchment, just go back after you make the post (make sure to goto the attatchment and copy the url link) and edit the post including an 'image' at the end leading it to the url that the attatchment is located at...

Yay, my order arrived today as well! The lowest number I got was 4 of 60 so that one will end up in the collection, but the next is getting popped open this Saturday evening. Thanks for the tasting last night CL, it was nice to read your impressions. Like Jeff, I too liked the reference of 'sweet orange duck sauce with a dash of yellow hot sauce'. It will be very interesting to compare both this and Stagg side by side... toast.gif

Close-up of label

post-87-14489811189603_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know the rationale for applying the "Old Rip..." designation rather than "Pappy...", which was once rumored to apply to this bottling? I confess to a slight disappointment that I am not about to acquire a bottling with the seemingly more exalted "Pappy..." label. Price is obviously not the sole criterion. I guess if I were Julian, "Pappy" might be the one label element that I would never compromise, as with sharing label space with the Sam's logo.

Is it an oversight that the URL at the bottom of the label is " www.oldvanwinkle.com ", a currently nonexistent website? I have www.oldripvanwinkle.com bookmarked, and it works.

Yours truly,

Dave "Ever the nitpicker" Morefield

On all of his recent private bottlings all the bottles say "old Rip Van Winkle". Even on the bottom of the label on a bottle of Pappy 20 it says Bottled by Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery... I guess he just uses the distillery name since Pappy Van Winkle is the name of a specific product produced by Old Rip.

That website name on the bottom of the label must be a printing boo-boo, how else can I put it, haha.

Thanks for the close-up. Yours is much better. My photo came out fuzzy, but I was too busy at the time to reshoot it.

Chuck

NP, I had to take some shots for the 'collection' pics anyways, so why not jsut throw it on here while at it. Yours was fine though Chuck, I appreciate you putting it up yesterday, the anticipation of seeing if the label was going to be different was getting to me...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.