Old Forester BIB vs. Signature

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For the OF aficionados out there, I'd like to know if there's a significant difference between OF BIB and Signature. I ran across a couple of BIB bottles recently and wondered if they were worth picking up. The current Signature is a decent, basic pour to me but nothing I would go out of my way to acquire. Thoughts?

I think the BiB is better by a hair, especially if it's glut era/dsp 414. There was an intermediate one too, Old Forester 100. I had a bottle of that. It was great with a candy cane dissolved in it.:lol:

I think the BiB is better by a hair, especially if it's glut era/dsp 414. There was an intermediate one too, Old Forester 100. I had a bottle of that. It was great with a candy cane dissolved in it.:lol:

That's the trick, it must be DSP-414. My mid-eighties BIB(Dimple side) is outstanding.

IMHO. Overall DSP 414 is much better than DSP 354 which is much better than the signature. As with all, YMMV.

I prefer the older BIB myself. Both the 414 and 354/414 versions are better than the Signature to me. I would buy one if I were you. Try it, and if you don't like it, no prob. If you do like it, go back and get the other one. Simple. :grin: Either way, let us know what you do. Cheers! Joe

I might be in the minority here, but I actually prefer the 414 86 proof over all of the past and current 100 proof expressions. the flavor profile of that older 86 proof is just right for me.

Picked up a bottle of the BIB and gave it a couple of tries. It has a LOT of that old bourbon, spiced rum flavor. Normally I like that, but it's completely overpowering in this bottle. It's not bad, but about half way through a pour I find myself saying, "Enough." I think I'll try vatting this with some other things to see what I can come up with. It has potential.

Picked up a bottle of the BIB and gave it a couple of tries. It has a LOT of that old bourbon, spiced rum flavor. Normally I like that, but it's completely overpowering in this bottle. It's not bad, but about half way through a pour I find myself saying, "Enough." I think I'll try vatting this with some other things to see what I can come up with. It has potential.

So is your BIB distilled at DSP-414 or DSP-354? Some of us here think that makes a differerence. My taste experience is that the DSP-414's are some of the rummiest of the dusty rum tasting bourbons. I also regard Signature as a very good bourbon and its difference from the DSP-414 dusties highlight what is different about the older versus modern bourbon profile.

It was distilled at DSP-354. The bottle is stamped 95, though I know that may not accurately indicate the bottling date. So, the 414s had more rum flavor than this? OF must have been the rum drinker's go-to bourbon!

I remember a famous philosopher once said that 414>354, and I will agree. The OFBIB from the 70s is DAMN hard to beat even when put against the best of them.

• 8 years later...

Interesting thread.   I, too, am clearly tasting the "rummy" qualities of an eighties-era Bonded dimple that I opened yesterday.  It's a very pleasant dry Barbados-style rumminess, too.

My bottle is dsp # 354,  for what its worth.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.