what is floating in my Bourbon?

submarine
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There is a stringy thing in the bottom of my bourbon. It looks like a cross between snot & pulp from orange juice.

There is also another non-stringy piece that is floating around in there.

This bottle has only been opened one day, and the rest of the bourbon is not off color or anything. I didn't detect any bad flavors just some junk swirling around in there.

Should I worry about it? Have you ever seen anything like this? Would the booze kill the germs if somebody at the distillery spit in it?

confused.gifconfused.gif

John F

>There is a stringy thing in the bottom of my bourbon. It looks like a cross

>between snot & pulp from orange juice.

What you have there is what I like to call Authenticity. That's what you've got.

It means that they didn't filter the living hell out of your bourbon. You should

be proud to have some all-American haze in there. (It's caused by some of

the tastiest bits in bourbon: ethyl esters. )

It might help us if you mention what brand of bourbon you're enjoyin' there.

>Would the booze kill the germs if somebody at the distillery spit in it?

Yup.

"It might help us if you mention what brand of bourbon you're enjoyin' there."

This one happens to be Old Charter 8 YO. Do certain brands have a process of less filtering?

I have not noticed this haze before but I never really looked for it & it seems I've been enjoying some older stuff that the darker colors may be helping to hide.

John F

LOL...I wouldn't worry about it. I've got something similar floating in my bottle of EWSB '91. I don't remember seeing it when I first bought the bottle. It may be a small piece of cork that fell off in the bourbon but it gives the impression of mosquito larvae everytime I look at it.

-Troy

I must be the typical consumer for which they go through all of this filtering trouble, because if I see anything in my bourbon that resembles snot or larvae, it's going down the drain, don't care how much it cost or how good it is (was). I'm not a squeemish person, but something like that could permenantly scar my bourbon enjoyment. shocked.gif

Well, I did have an experience several nights ago that was sickening and frustrating. A small fly, possibly a fruit fly, found its way into my last sip of WT Kentucky Spirit. mad.gif I entertained the notion of fishing the bug out and continuing with my drink but I just couldn't do it....not even with KS. That was hopefully the only time in my life that I'll ever have to pour Kentucky Spirit down the drain.

I've noticed those little critters flying around food scraps before. They seem to be fond of vegetables and fruit and seem to mysteriously appear in our house during springtime and the early summer months. We don't have swarms....just 2 or 3 here and there....

A few years back I made some apple wine and during the fermentation process those little pests came out of the woodwork and tried their best to foul up the process. I've heard of flies and their accompanying bacteria imparting bad flavors to wine if certain precautions are not taken.

I guess I need to pour a glass of "Old Rotgut" and let it sit in the open for a while as a flycatcher. Then maybe I can drink some decent bourbon in peace.

-Troy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

This one happens to be Old Charter 8 YO.

"Now I feel cheated"

Yeah, well I must have the magic touch because I've been lucky like this before. Years ago I had a buddy pick up a bottle of Khalua for me in Mexico ($5 in MEX. $35 in US.)

With the first pour a crazy looking Mexican wasp came spilling out. It had two sets of wings and they were both in the open position as if this thing flew top speed into a vat of Khalua.

At that time (age) any liquor was hard to come by, so after much conversation we decided that they put a worm in Tequila, so how bad could a wasp be in Kahula.

Hey, we never got sick grin.gif

John F

With the first pour a crazy looking Mexican wasp came spilling out

Oh my God shocked.gif No more mudsliders for me grin.gif Actually, that stopped almost ten years ago after one very eventful weekend. Khalua+Irish Cream+Vodka x 10 = no more mudsliders...ever confused.gif

Jeff,

I must be the typical consumer for which they go through all of this filtering trouble, because if I see anything in my bourbon that resembles snot or larvae, it's going down the drain, don't care how much it cost or how good it is (was).

I suppose if there was just a drop left I might dump it out, but I would fish a MOTH out of a fresh pour of KS! ooo.gif

I love sushi...

Me too. I'm currently looking for good bourbons to drink with sushi. My current favorites are the 'Fox and Maker's mark as I believe only a lighter bodied bourbon will do. Anything stronger seems to overpower. My favorite sushi drink however is a Chenin Blanc or a Sauvignon Blanc.

Nah, gotta go with the Japanese beer. Tall can of Sapporo. I still can't get into this Saki stuff, hot or cold. BTW, I've been to Asia and forget about the rice-based drinks after you've been reared on bourbon. Over there, it's strictly the weak local beers (though, admittedly, they do go well with the hot food).

Ahi Tuna, especially spiced, is my favorite sushi. You?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.