Sam Houston American Streight Whiskey

Capt Ajax
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This label used to be pro.used by McLain and Kyne (Jefferson's) but was recently bought by someone else and has a new bottle and a lower price. I bought some in Houston 2 days ago and I have to say that it is enjoyable. It has a sweet and light tone. Notice, the label does not claim that it is a bourbon, nor does it list the owning distillery. I wonder who bought the label and where it's bottled.

I like it for the price I paid. At $22.00 it is a bargain.

It's still Trey Zoeller, but Castle Brands now handles the distribution. I agree that the current version is pretty good stuff. In the past he sourced it from Heaven Hill via KBD, but these days who knows?

I had some, but by what i hear here, it must have been a bad bottle. It was pleasant enough, with a maltiness that I associate with young barton whiskey. But it was really hot I thought.

• 2 weeks later...
I had some, but by what i hear here, it must have been a bad bottle. It was pleasant enough, ...
From years past, I've tried a couple bottles and enjoyed them. I pass in preference to other stuff when shopping, but will gladly sip some when offered and will buy it if come across it for bargain price. I've not had any in the past couple years so curious to see what they're doing now. $22 sounds like a good price. Since it had the nice review I'm considering revisiting the next shopping trip.

It's still Trey Zoeller, but Castle Brands now handles the distribution. I agree that the current version is pretty good stuff. In the past he sourced it from Heaven Hill via KBD, but these days who knows?

Castle Brands sold this label 2 to 3 years ago...along with stocks of bourbon, to go with the label.

I went back a year ago and tried to find the information on the sale, because I couldn't remember who they sold it to. And all information had disappeared off Castle Brands website.

By memory....the company was called Western Liquor or Western Distilling...something like that.

But, it's surely not Castle Brands anylonger.

When I tasted the product a month ago....I could taste HH whiskey in the blend...but, its not completely HH like it used to be.

I misspoke. Jefferson, although owned by Castle, is still Zoeller's baby. The Sam Houston brand is owned by Western and no longer has anything to do with Castle or the Zoellers. I was thinking about Jefferson when I wrote that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard a few people swear up and down this is BT juice. I have tasted it and I agree.

I assume they waived using "Kentucky" straight bourbon on the label so as not to detract from the inherently Texan identity of the brand name.

• 2 months later...

My wife picked up a bottle of this for me as a present, since it was something different and was inexpensive. It has a taste that is similar to the current Black Maple Hill Small Batch. It's OK neat, but is darn tasty on the rocks while grilling steaks.

If you don't think Sam Houston is big in Texas, take a look at the 67-ft tall statue of him on I-45 in Huntsville. The thing is downright eerie on a foggy morning..

If you don't think Sam Houston is big in Texas, take a look at the 67-ft tall statue of him on I-45 in Huntsville. The thing is downright eerie on a foggy morning..

Jesus is big in Ohio or at least he was before he was struck by lighting. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/oh/OHMONjesus04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife picked up a bottle of this for me as a present, since it was something different and was inexpensive. It has a taste that is similar to the current Black Maple Hill Small Batch. It's OK neat, but is darn tasty on the rocks while grilling steaks.

HA! That's where I got my degree!! Ironically enough I'm from the same area in TN that he grew up :)

Good 'ol SHSU! My dad graduated from there in '50's when it was still Sam Houston State Teacher's College. Mr. Sam Houston drank a lot of good whiskey in TN, and I imagine he brought some of that with him to TX.

Yup! A lot of things from Tennessee migrated to Texas....Sam H, Stephan F, Will Travis, and who can forget Davey Crockett! Heck you guys would probably be mostly speaking Spanish if it weren't for East Tennessee......umm..wait.....maybe I spoke too soon! :lol:

HA! Really, I graduated High School in Oak Ridge, TX and my wife's from Humble / Porter. Boy I really miss having a SPECS Liquor store nearby. I load up every time I'm down that way. Whiskey is so much cheaper there than here...

Yep Spec's is a great place. Crazy that it would be more expensive in TN than TX. Does not seem right. BTW, growing up we played Alamo and I wore my coon-skin hat and always had to be Davey..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.