What's Behind the Wall at Labrot and Graham?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

"where we have the stills was fermentation as well."

Chuck,

The back side holds the mills, grain bins and scales, water tanks, siltage screening and the condensate tanks (that collect spirit from the 3 stills). The boiler is on the end of the distiller as you point out with a large area now vacant due to size difference of the new gas boiler vs. coal fired boilers.

Omar

Thanks.

The old boiler room was the most memorable part of the building when I saw it in 1992. Like something out of a heavy metal music video or a Highlander movie. The decadent beauty of a once powerful machine abandoned and gone to seed. By contrast, the space where the still had been was just that. You only knew what had been there due to the round holes in the floorboards.

Hey Chuck,

I may be really confused but, I think this is what you want?

Bj

post-25-14489811181428_thumb.jpg

Beej, I believe Chuck is talking about the boiler room which was directly behind the wall behind the spirits safes, or tail boxes as they are sometimes known. However this shot you provided is directly outside of where the potstills are lined up. Good picture, I recognise some of those folk. grin.gif

Not exactly, Brenda. I was wondering what is behind those windows in your picture, a question which Omar answered. The stills, Bobby, are against a solid wall in more-or-less the middle of the building, not against these windows. I am trying to match what I remember from '92, before the restoration, when I crawled all over that place, with what is there now. I should have done it when we were there, but it was such a hot day. Now I'm trying to do it within my feeble mind.

Hey Chuck,

So, did they move these stills from the inside, or they totally different from what used to be inside?

Bj

P.S. Aren't you about due to visit family down our way? The Bourbon Open is coming up and it promises to be a party!

The old set up was a conventional column still and it was near the back of the building. I assume there also was a doubler of some kind but I'm not sure where that was located. According to Lew Bryson's article, there originally were fermenters in the room where the stills are now.

I don't have any family in Kentucky, but you never can tell when I might show up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.