Hirsch whiskies

trumpstylz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see a lot of these labels around- "american whiskey" as well as rye and corn whiskey and canadian rye. Has anyone had any of these?

Some worth it and some not?

I've had most, so I'll chime in. I won't touch upon A.H., as that subject has been beat to death.

There are a few Canadian releases, but I've only had the 8yr. It's okay, not bad if you like Canadian, although the color is so pale it must have been put in 10th fill barrels.

Both the Straight Corn and the Illinois are listed as "American Whiskey."

The Corn is not worth it. I've heard that it's 9month old HH juice, but Mellow Corn blows it away for a third of the price.

The one that I'm a bit obsessed with is the 20yr Illinois Whiskey. Made in Peoria(Hiram Walker?) from a Bourbon Mash(Stated on the label.), it was aged in used cooperage, so it's not a Bourbon, but it's also unlike anything on the market. Lots of resin on the finish, with a very unique sweetness to it, as the barrels were used, not new. I believe these casks were intended for blending, but somehow they ended up never being used until Henry Preiss got his hands on them. I dig it, as it's an extremely unique experience.

The Straight Ryes, be it the 21, 22, or 25 all came from KBD's old Medley(?) stocks. Maybe COK? They are spectacular, IMHO. I hear the 25yr is the last of that supply.

The basic NAS Bourbon tastes like any other KBD mid-pricer, as one would expect.

The one that I'm a bit obsessed with is the 20yr Illinois Whiskey. Made in Peoria(Hiram Walker?) from a Bourbon Mash(Stated on the label.), ...

Is this the "Selection Special Reserve" 20 year (priced between

$75. & $90.)? If so, I'm glad to hear it isn't entirely bad stuff as

I have an unopened bottle that I've yet to crack into.

I did find an old thread from 2008 here if you wanna read it.

Plus, a google search (they seem to be able to find results here

better than I do!) of Hirsch Special Reserve at SB might be helpful.

That's the one, John. It should say "Illinois Whiskey" on the neck label. And in regards to your unopened bottle, it does get better with air. Much better.

It's a bit different, and I had to get used to it. I didn't like it all that much when I first had it, but I now find it fascinating. And how many bourbon mashes are aged in used wood for 20 years?

That's the one, John. It should say "Illinois Whiskey" on the neck label. And in regards to your unopened bottle, it does get better with air. Much better.

That's nice to hear. Since I'm not planning to sell or gift it,

maybe I'll open it up and let it get better all on it's own!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.