Sazerac 18/Van Winkle Rye

ErichPryde
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's been quite a while since I've opened a Saz18. I may have to do a head to head against the VWFRR (which is probably my favorite whiskey...bourbon or rye) I may throw some Michter's single barrel in there also to keep things interesting.

We've done a few different runs with various letters of VWFRR (A, B & G) along with last 3 year's Saz 18s up against Vintage Rye 21 (we included some younger ryes, which were good, but not nearly as exquisite as these).

Bottom line: All three are amazing. There ARE differences between various letters on the VWFRR bottles, but they aren't better/worse - just some differences.

Which wins? It would depends who you asked - but one of those three is at the top of almost everybody's "best" list. There are more scare bottlings of even older, barrel strength ryes that I've yet to taste... but working on it!

FWIW: I also love THH - there are times I actually prefer it to these older more matured ryes.

I've noticed some differences in the VWFRR (A v. B) and always preferred the "A" bottling until lately where the A seemed a bit flat and "B" had more stuff going on. This will definitely require more research.

I've noticed some differences in the VWFRR (A v. B) and always preferred the "A" bottling until lately where the A seemed a bit flat and "B" had more stuff going on. This will definitely require more research.

Definitely....and, if you need any help at all....I'm just sayin...if you need hep, hear i am!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.