I'm an Official Event

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to Bettye Jo, I am now an official Kentucky Bourbon Festival event. Well, technically, not me but a presentation of my documentary "Made and Bottled in Kentucky." It will be shown in the auditorium at the Oscar Getz Museum on Friday, September 19, at 3:30 PM, followed by a question and answer session with me. The tape itself runs one hour.

Hey Chuck, you've been an event at my house several times now grin.gif You never showed up for the Q&A after the video though frown.gif

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! grin.gif Whittttttttt Whirlllllllll!!!! laugh.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif You da man grin.gifgrin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

I can easily imagine that showings of your fine documentary could become a regular attraction there.

I can also foresee that a few folks might want to take home a video as a reminder of their trip to Bardstown. (I still play the video I bought at the Ozark Folk Heritage Center in Mountain View, AR several years ago.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Good idea. Chuck, any chance you will have DVDs for sale at the Festival or on your web site any time soon?

I've thought about that and it's good to know there is interest. I'll look into it.

• 1 month later...

There has been a change to the showing of my documentary "Made and Bottled in Kentucky." It now will be shown in the auditorium at the Oscar Getz Museum on Saturday morning, September 20, at 10:00 PM, followed by a question and answer session with me. The tape itself runs one hour.

When ya watch this documentary...Take note the part where Sam Cecil's is talking...He speaks of Joe Beam...and his seven son's... All seven, were Master Distiller's in Kentucky...This is my "set" of Beam's...Sam especially speaks about Harry Beam and that he worked with him at Heaven Hill...Harry Beam is my grandfather...

He died a tragic death...Everytime I hear Sam speak about "Pop Beam" it puts a big ole lump in my throat...I miss em dearly...

Bettye Jo

P.S.Joseph L. Beam was one of the first original incorporators of Heaven Hill...Joseph L. Beam was the first Master Distiller of Heaven Hill....

• 1 month later...

Take note...Go to the front page...Jim, has a link to "The Kentucky Bourbon Festival"...Click on "Events" then look up Saturday at 10...They finally, have Chuck listed...

While ya still there...click on "Links"...go to the very bottom of the page...They saved, "The Best Till Last"... grin.gif Straightbourbon.com grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I would highly recommend any one at the festival that has this opportunity to see Chuck’s film. We have been a subscriber to his Bourbon Country Reader since we first found about it at the 2001 Bourbon Festival where my wife and I had the opportunity to meet Chuck and other straightbourbon.com folks. This summer Peggy got me the DVD of the film. It is very well done. We both enjoyed it and added to our collection of books on bourbon and its history. The film adds a dimension that books can not provide as you watch and listen to those involved in the industry describe their craft.

Todd

Thanks for the kind words, Todd.

As one might guess, I will have copies of the tape/DVD for sale at the festival.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! For a moment there, I thought one of our members was on a WANTED POSTER. wink.gif

Good thing I read the fine print!

Saturday at 10 am it is!

Cliff,

LMAO grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif...Yep...ya'll get there a bit early cause seating is limited...We will be in the "Beam Room"...(that's what I call it) but is actually called the video room...Location...inside the Getz...go through the front doors...go right, first room on the right...

Well, hush my mouth!

From the head shot that Chuck formerly displayed with his posts, I figured he was balder than I am. What other reason could one have to cut off the top of a photo? Or so I thought.

Now it turns out he has more hair than Carl Perkins in 1957. Another wrong conclusion leaped to on my part.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 4 weeks later...

My sincerest regret during the showing of Chuck's video is the lack of chairs. I am sorry that some of you had to sit on the floor and that even more folks had to stand during the entire show. I called "days in advance" and asked about the seating arrangements and do I need to take care of it. I was told it would be taken care of.

I went to the Getz on Friday. I was delivering my DVD player to be hooked up to the big screen TV. There were 7 chairs in the room. I was shocked. I told them that we will need a lot more chairs.

Chuck came by later on in the afternoon I asked him to check and see if they put any more chairs in that room. He went to the front door and the Getz, it was closed. Good Grief, it's 5 p.m. and soon to be the grand opening of the "Lawn" for all the Distilleries, vendors at Spalding Hall and the Getz Museum is closed.

We arrived Saturday morning and found 7 chairs and one bench. I asked for more chairs. I was told that she would be back in a bit...We waited...I asked again for some more chairs. The lady at the front office told me again she would be here in a little while...We are holding everything up and folks are standing everywhere so, I send Chuck up front to ask. Chuck asks for more chairs...and you guessed it, "Absolutely Nothing".

So there you have it. "The rest of the story".

Bettye Jo Boone

I feel for you. About two weeks ago, the organization I work for held its annual summer-ending picnic. About 1,000 people showed up. Unfortunately, dozens of tables and hundreds of chairs we ordered for the event did not. The truck delivering them broke down about 35 miles away the night before. Did the rental company dispatch another truck right away to pick up the tables and chairs and deliver them? No. Did they send another truck the next morning--the day of the picnic? NO. We scrambled to find tables and chairs and managed to set up a portion of the necessary seating. Many folks ended up sitting on large rocks, steps, etc. Since it was a picnic, no one really complained. Still, it was an unnecessary headache. Needless to say, the rental company WILL be returning our full deposit.

SpeedyJohn

Bettye Jo,

So there you have it. "The rest of the story".

I realize you are too much of a lady to elaborate here. Well, I'm not.

I have been involved with that museum for 20 years. I love it. I helped paint, tote, fetch and clean years ago, and would gladly do it again if they needed me (and they do).

However, That woman is totally inept. She has her job because her husband sits on the Bourbon Festival Committee. She has no background what-so-ever in the Bourbon industry. She's not even from here. She cannot conduct a decent tour of the Museum, and I have watched her leave guests standing in the foyer, wondering where to go first.

I have also watched her repeatedly toss roadblocks in the way of anything being done for the benefit of the Getz that wasn't her idea (and as best I can tell, she has no ideas). I have known her to be rude to Flaget, being more interested in proving 'who's in charge' than promoting the Getz. I would do a website for the Museum for free (even host it at my cost, because they really need a web presence). But, she has even tried to stop me from taking photos, saying everything in the Museum was Patented.

When CL visited this summer, I got my Chucks mixed up lol.gif and bounced into the Getz asking for Chuck Cowdery. She gave me that deer in headlights look and told me she didn't know anyone named Chuck Cowdery. I could have understood it, if it weren't for the fact that his tape has been at the Museum longer that she has!

There, now we've really told 'the rest of the story'.

soapbox.gif

I'll get down now...

Bj

Mark,

lol.gif Yeah, guess I did sort of descend into darkness there for a minute... lol.gif

What I really wanted to say, would have sounded like Bob as he crossed the parking lot at the gazebo late one evening...Touretting into the mist, headed for his room lol.gif

Bj

You go girls! Seemed like part of the talk of the festival again this year was "management."

It's hard to believe that we had such a good crowd in 2001 literally 2, 3, 4, and 5 days after 9/11 and this year there were empty hotel rooms.

But, Chuck and the video shown (or is it shined) above the 'no seating' issue and it can be said that Chuck had a standing room only crowd! A true gentleman who never complained.

You ladies behind-the-scenes have a right to set us straight and thanks for airing it here.

She's not even from here.

I have watched her leave guests standing in the foyer, wondering where to go first.

Shucks Bj, even a Yankee Illinoisan/Kansan/Californian like me knows better than that. Maybe she was raised by wolves? lol.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

When CL visited this summer, I got my Chucks mixed up and bounced into the Getz asking for Chuck Cowdery. She gave me that deer in headlights look and told me she didn't know anyone named Chuck Cowdery. I could have understood it, if it weren't for the fact that his tape has been at the Museum longer that she has! There, now we've really told 'the rest of the story'.

Well, here is the rest of the story. Here's how I met Brenda.

Brenda was so mad after her episode at the Getz. She came to the Hurst Restaurant looking for "Chuck Cowdery", Bobby, and Bettye Jo. As her car came into the gravel parking lot, her car was flinging rocks all over the place. Brenda saw Bettye Jo getting into my sister's SUV. Brenda stopped and jumped out of her car, approaching the SUV with a few colorful words about the lady at the Getz. Brenda didn't see me or my Grandma Bryant in the back of the SUV, even with the doors wide open.

Bettye Jo told her it was the CL Chuck and that Grandma Bryant was in the back of the SUV with me. Brenda was speechless. (Bet you all never saw that at the festival!). We just smiled at her. She began to apologize profusely, thinking she might have offended Grandma Bryant or me. She didn't offend either of us and we all had a good laugh about it later over drinks at the Talbot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.