Transporting liquor across state lines.

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Actual NC law:

§ 18B‑301. Possession and consumption of fortified wine and spirituous liquor.

(a) Possession at Home. – It shall be lawful, without an ABC permit, for any person at least 21 years old to possess for lawful purposes any amount of fortified wine and spirituous liquor at his home or a temporary residence, such as a hotel room.

(B) Possession on Other Property. – It shall be lawful, without an ABC permit, for a person to possess for his personal use and the use of his guests not more than eight liters of fortified wine or spirituous liquor, or eight liters of the two combined...

I haven't had time to look into other states.

My home insurance does have limits on reimbursement.

Also there was a thread on here a year or so ago about there being a law in NC that it makes it illegal for any one person to own more than 1 gallon of whiskey at one time.
We have a similar law here in Alabama. I'd have to verify the quantities but IIRC no household can be in possession of more than a gallon of wine, a gallon of distilled spirits, or one case of beer at any given time. I also don't recall whether those limits apply individually or collectively. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow, when I'm back at my computer instead of on my smartphone.

A few miles further on there was a similar trooper and a "drug enforcement" (said so on the side don'tca know) van

A slight tangent - years ago, I saw a truck in Dallas marked as "Courtesy Patrol. Enforcement Division."

I wonder what the penalty is for being discourteous in traffic.

My thought on the subject is that it is tax revenue related. Every state is constantly crying defecit and wants the tax money for themselves. I do, however think they are thinking more in terms of large quantities being brought in and resold and deriving them of the revenue. I have bought bottles in many other states, brought them home to my own control state. I have transported them by plane and motor vehicle, from within the US as well as numerous overseas destinations in addition to having several friends do the same. Only twice have I had to pay duty and have never, ever had a problem. I believe in the out of sight, out of mind concept1

Thomas Harper

Out of curiosity I have been doing a little research on whether it is illegal to buy liquor in one state and take it to another state. (ie. when I buy alcohol in Ga and bring it back to SC.) So far I have confirmed that in SC, NC, VA, PA, NH, MA, and TN it is illegal to purchase any amount in another state and bring it into these states by any means even for personal use. (ie. TN: misdeamenor if under 3 gallons; felony if over 3). Not sure of other states. It appears that it is seldom enforced unless you are pulled for another reason, etc. I got interested when I was returning from GA with about 3 cases and got pulled for speeding in North Augusta, SC. The state trouper asked about the whiskey as it was on the seat next to me. I explained that I was a collector and he seemed satisfied. But I would have been hard pressed to say I bought it in SC when some of it had old GA tax stamps on it. (MORAL: Don't speed with liquor!)

Just curious what your thoughts on this are.

This just proves that you should leave it in Georgia, Enoch! :)

It's strictly economics and religion. The state wants the money, and the Baptist preachers want to tell enryone they're going to hell for drinking, smoking, fornicating (other than to have children), dancing, or daring to enjoy life in any other way. Sister Bertha Betterthanyou had her "sensitivities" disturbed when she had to pass a liquor store 6 blocks from her house on her way to church. These same political-religious values are why I live in a dry county.

Yes, and its my guess, though I might be guesing wrong, the the holier-than-thou types are the tools and money grubbing state bureaucrats and politicians are the puppet masters.

Pretty much the only good thing you can say about Democratic Chicago's effect on down-state ILL. with regard to our laws is they can be a buffer against what might be too many religious zealots in our state Assembly. I can go into a grocery store and buy anything including 190 proof Everclear. Although, some nannystaters up in Chicago have restricted the sale of Everclear in some places, In the city limits I think.

The trade off is of course high fuel taxes, high everything taxes, and not even a snowball's chance in hell of ever having a CCW law.

This just proves that you should leave it in Georgia, Enoch! :)

My mother-in-law lives near Georgia so when we visit it gives me an excuse to get away for awhile. :lol:

Enoch... One thing is for certain. You won't have to worry about our laws next time you're up in Raleigh. In my best Carolina tongue... "We don't got nothing here!" LOL... Our ABC stores suck.

I do not think political opinions/agendas should be posted on SB. It opens up too much potential for contention and bad feelings. My wife is a Democratic political consultant who currently works for a former national chairman of the DNC. She also worked in Kentucky two years ago helping a Democratic governor change some archaic laws. (The reason I got interested in bourbon.) I refrain but it is so tempting to post a rebuttal which could start a chain reaction. MHO.

After I defended my thesis, in July 2010, I "needed" to see something of America so we went, the very next day, on a road trip that took us from Florida out west to Arizona, north into Utah, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and then on back east by way of Kentucky. I started buying booze somewhere outside New Orleans. By the time we made it to North Carolina I had, oh, a "few" bottles in the car along with a few guns that I had found on bargain as well as the defensive cannons that I had brought with me. I ran into an ABC store in Statesville, NC a few minutes before closing, grabbed a cart and loaded it up with booze we can't easily find in SoFla. On check out the clerk informed me that I was buying enough booze to violate state transportation laws in NC and that I had to put some back. OK, then, so I put a bottle back. As I left my wife noticed the clerk on the phone, looking out the window at our Florida plates on the car. We drove home the next day totally paranoid, with visions of Cool Hand Luke playing in our minds if we got caught. I think these are laws that exist to impose governmental power upon the populace and not to actually protect. To that end they are surplus, unneeded law enforcement powers that should be withdrawn back to the people. I resent being classed with a bootlegger when I bought my booze in a store, paid my taxes on it and followed all laws regarding its purchase.

You are reading in your own interpretation of what I actually posted.

I used a current topic to illustrate that the rule making process determines the actual provisions of most legislation. I did not comment on the wisdom of those rules in regard to the current topic.

I challenge you to find an expression of my views on any specific piece of legislation in my post. If you do, then I will issue a formal apology for injecting politics into this thread. If you fail, then it is you who should consider rendering an apology.

Just a reminder folks, this is a regular thread in the bourbon forums. It is not a PRC discussion. I repeat, THIS IS NOT PRC. Let's stay on topic. Any more posts in a PRC vein, and this thread will be deleted. Joe

Personally, I've never thought about the transport question/problem. I guess that is partly because I have never found more than a couple of bottles to transport back into TN from surrounding states. The closest states to home are MS & AL - both control board states that unfortunately - for their respective residents & myself - don't seem to ever have much that cannot be found in TN. I suppose the naive side of me has just dismissed the old laws as archaic from another day & time. They are still on the books though and deserve some thought/attention for those who might be in violation. If they are still on the books, there is always someone who would be eager to press the button...especially in 'Boss Hogg' counties in this part of the country...lol.

That being said, the THP is usually quite busy on the interstates but it seems they are much more focused on the meth & weed trade. However, I don't have any knowledge along those lines for a fact...just as a passerby observer and occasional local news watcher.

With the absence of tax stamps how would anyone know where you procured the liquor anyway?

Here in Iowa they have a bottle refund sticker on them that says: IA $.05 ( it actually says 5cent but there is no cent sign on a computer keyboard.)

Here in Iowa they have a bottle refund sticker on them that says: IA $.05 ( it actually says 5cent but there is no cent sign on a computer keyboard.)

I beg to differ: ¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢ :Clever: ;)

With the absence of tax stamps how would anyone know where you procured the liquor anyway?

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.