JD Holiday Select v. JDSB

Lazer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't usually buy JD because it is way overpriced, but it is a nice change of pace from other bourbons. If I'm going to take the plunge what's a better value? The new holiday select 100 proof, or the single barrel? Thank you.

I'll have to have a taste test. I have bottles of Single Barrel (94 proof), and bottles of Holiday Select and the duty free only Silver Select (both 100 proof)!

Thomas

I don't usually buy JD because it is way overpriced, but it is a nice change of pace from other bourbons. If I'm going to take the plunge what's a better value? The new holiday select 100 proof, or the single barrel? Thank you.

Price notwithstanding, I'd get the HS. At slightly higher proof

than the SB, if it proves to be too much for you, you could

always add a bit of water to bring it down to SB level.

Like Thomas, I have the HS & SS and hope to do a side-by-side

soon.

The HS, unless it says it's single barrel, is probably standard Old No. 7 just bottled at a higher proof. The single barrel is always a bit older.

That's disapointing.

At first I thought Wow.... I wonder if this stuff is just Silver Select in a different package.

Why can't we get both higher proof and more age? Too many products are either one or the other. And Its not just Brown-forman.....( 90 proof RR bourbon/ and RR rye, to name a couple)

Being that JD is sitting pretty at the #1 whiskey in the world, I'm sure they have little interest in or time to be producing extra aged products.

Has anyone taken the plunge and tried the HS yet? I have yet to see a single review. I'm curious to see if it has the hallmark banana aroma I get in all BF products

Seems like this stuff would classified as a small batch and not just the standard no. 7 at 100 proof.

The Holiday select whiskey comes from the 187 barrels used to make the Christmas display and all the barrels were chosen to meet a certain flavor profile JD felt matched this special occasion.

I opened mine up about a week ago. It has a good bit of heat compared to the normal JD offering. You get a lot more vanilla. It's an easy drinker just like the SB. If you see a bottle I would jump on it. It was only $3 more than a bottle JD SB.

• 3 weeks later...

I always enjoy a pour JDSB. I know JD isn't reall popular around here, but I think the SB is mighty fine whiskey.

I always enjoy a pour JDSB. I know JD isn't reall popular around here, but I think the SB is mighty fine whiskey.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of old #7, but the SB is pretty good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.