Smooth Ambler

Happyhour24x7
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just made a visit down to Smooth Ambler Spirits in southern WV, since they just released their Yearling bourbon and I wanted to pick some up. this is their young whiskey, aged 1.5 years, not their sourced product (Old Scout). I sampled it there, and while young it was very approachable. It was quiet at the distillery, being Monday the 2nd, and John Little, the distiller, was very welcoming. The facility is very nice, as to be expected in a new, purpose built building. Their current products are gin, vodka, white whiskey and the two bourbons I mentioned; but in the rickhouse are a lot of aging barrels. John is definitely covering his bases; he has the leeway to experiment, and is doing so. He has wheated, rye, and corn whiskey aging in both large and small barrels, and at a couple different entry proofs. He is even aging some gin as an experiment, which was very interesting both in nose and taste. I very much look forward to what they will release in the coming years. It is a little out of the way, but if you get a chance, I highly recommend visiting.

Thanks for the kind words, for coming to see us, and for the purchase. As you know, we're really excited about our future and the products that will eventually come of age. Maybe we'll see you in NOVA or DC sometime soon!

• 2 months later...

I just sampled the white dog whiskey. Excellent! It has a taste a little familiar but couldn't quite place it, then thought it reminiscent in some ways of Woodford. It had unusually good flavors for white dog. Smooth with some different flavors going on, not so one dimensional like so many other whites.

And for the question that gets asked too often, was it worth the price? Well, most micros I sample I'm glad I bought the first, but then it gets relegated to "been there, done that, don't need to do that again" and I never buy a second bottle. But at $28, I'll be happy to buy another one of these puppies!

• 1 month later...

I just bought the Smooth Ambler Yearling. It's a wheat, corn, and barley mash. It was aged for 1 year and 2 months.

IMO there is way, way too much green wood that overwhelms the other flavors. Definitely not for me.

Edit: actually, the wood is more in the nose than the palate. On the palate it has a strong pot-distilled character (and it is pot-distilled). Pretty amazing they got this after just 1 year in the barrel. It tastes quite a bit older.

bad_scientist: We're working on getting rid of that green wood / sawdust nose. It's a sign of youth and as you know, that just takes time....something we have more of now that we have Old Scout in our line.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.