Troy & Sons small batch moonshine

wmpevans
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was just gifted this bottle.

Troy & Sons small batch moonshine, distilled by Troy & Sons out of Asheville, NC. 80 proof and described as "Whiskey handmade with Crooked Creek Corn", and on the back label as "authentic artisan moonshine".

Nice presentation in clear bottle.

Anyone tried this??

They have an informative website, and just got a nice write-up in Garden & Gun.

I'll report back after tasting. Seems appropriate as the BOTM is Mellow Corn.

On principle, I have no interest in any product labeled as 'moonshine.'

Typically, so-called 'legal moonshine' is either corn whiskey or vodka, and the fact that they say it's made with "Crooked Creek Corn" doesn't mean it's not vodka. The label should say, probably in small type, what it is legally.

The TTB rightly does not recognize moonshine as a type, so the actual type must be identified on the label.

While I understand the marketing benefits of using the term "moonshine," I hate that it perpetuates the myth that moonshine is a type of spirit rather than being merely any spirit made illegally. In reality, 'legal moonshine' is an impossibility.

While I understand the marketing benefits of using the term "moonshine," I hate that it perpetuates the myth that moonshine is a type of spirit rather than being merely any spirit made illegally. In reality, 'legal moonshine' is an impossibility.

Turkey bacon is an impossibility but they sell that stuff in the stores, too.

I take it since the TTB does not define "moonshine" (and perhaps it is nowhere defined by law as an illegally produced spirit) the use of the term is not regulated. That being the case, producers may use the term at will?? So, we end up with the oxymoron of legal moonshine.

Perhaps many feel this problem should be addressed for the sake of consumer protection.

As for me, I think if a person isn't smart enough to look for the actual type somewhere on the bottle as defined by TTB its their own fault. But I'm not wholly unsympathetic to your point of view, Chuck.

I would try the stuff if it were whiskey and not GNS. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand because of their use of the word moonshine. I'm not particularly happy about it, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand either.

I got to thinking. Virginia Lightning is a bit of a play on white lightning. Does this bother anyone? Although, they do prominently refer to the spirit contained within as "corn whiskey" several places on the label: on the neck label, the front and back labels.

They also list their website as virginiamoonshine.com

I think I have an older bottle.

Was the term white lightning even much used before that Burt Reynolds movie?

Was the term white lightning even much used before that Burt Reynolds movie?

The George Jones song by that name came out around 1960, I think. So yes.

Nothing of consequence ever originated in a Burt Reynolds movie.

And, the really cool thing about Reynolds is that he'd probably be the first one to agree with you! :D

• 3 weeks later...
The George Jones song by that name came out around 1960, I think. So yes.

I'm 71 and the term white lightning has been around as long as me, and probably longer.

• 5 months later...

Just noticed this at the store and it does say Oak Reserve Whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.