Another Straight Bourbon Field Trip

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

BettyeJo, Brenda, Myself met and had lunch with Clogsdon, His Sister , and Grandmother today. What total fun. We went to the Getz and found a lot of the items donated by his grandmother. They will always treat you well there, but the carpet was all <font color="red"> Red </font color> today.We even had a glimpse of the off limits archive room. We went over to where the new visitors center for Heaven Hill will be and also looked at the old Burned out distillery . A round of drinks at the Talbot Tavern and this day ended too soon. As always it is a great treat and fun to meet the Straight Bourbon People as they make their respective pilgrimages to Bourbon Mecca. Chuck is everybit as nice in person as he posts here on Straight Bourbon . com. grin.gif We talked of going to Toddy's , I had to come back home to check a country ham I left in the oven, I missed that part of it.

Sounds like you all had a great time. Just a hint I'm sure of what's to come in September.

I am in the middle of grilling dinner, so I will just take a sec to post a few photos. The first is of my Grandmother and I holding a bottle of John Stewart bourbon with my Grandfather's name on the label. We found this bottle in a display case in the hallway. The second photo is a close up of the bottle. The third photo is the SB.com crew in action - Bettye Jo, Brenda J, CL, and Bobby. Unfortunately, the photo that included my sister and my Grandmother with the SB crew didn't come out. I hope Brenda's camera captured a good photo of us all.

I have to extend a HEARTY THANKS to Bettye Jo, Bobby, and Brenda who met us on short notice, but gave us an EXTREMELY WARM welcome, like we were family. My Grandmother, sister, and I were very appreciative of their wonderful hospitality.

I want to publicly thank Bobby, Bettye Jo, and Brenda for showing my Grandmother, my sister, and I a wonderful time in Bardstown today.

I came on very short notice to L'ville to see my sister. I gave our SB.com friends only a day's notice and, to beat all, I said, I wasn't sure I would have time to get to Bardstown. But, Bobby, Bettye Jo, and Brenda were ready and willing. Heck, the Getz' red carpet treatment, as grand as it was, was nothing compared to what these three did for us.

BTW, I have never met these three before. That didn't matter. A year of mine on SB.com had made me like old friends to them and they jumped into action.

We had lunch at Hurst's, a tour at the Getz, a drive by Heaven Hill and the scene of the fire (with a complete, and I mean complete, commentary by Bettye Jo grin.gif), then a round at Talbot's. As Bobby mentioned, my family wanted to stop by Toddy's afterwards, but we had to scoot back to L'ville to get my 2 yo niece from her sitter.

My Grandmother thoroughly enjoyed the Getz. Bobby, Bettye Jo, and Brenda took my Grandmother's list of donated items and went on a scavenger hunt. I was touched by their attention to making sure my Grandmother got to see what donated items were on display, and, as Bobby mentioned, hidden in the private archive room. Along with the help from the guide at the Getz, we found many of the items that my Grandmother had donated in my Grandfather's name and honor. The guide was very patient and helpful and seemed to thoroughly enjoy assisting my Grandmother.

What else can I say? A great day in Bardstown with some new (yet very familiar!) friends. grin.gif

P.S. Bettye Jo really does only drink Bud! shocked.gif

Hey Chuck,

When my friends come ta visit...I always (and I mean always) go outta my way to make sure my guest have a good time...HELL, Just tryin to make ya way through the dust cloud behind me is a adventure in itself...but I will admit that I kept the jets on MEDIUM just for Grandma Brayant...

Let me tell ya...She sure is a wink.gif sweetheart wink.gif ...I fell in LOVE with her immediately...You are a lucky man to have her...I made a point to behave because she was there...but as most of ya know, that don't last long tongue.gif ...She would just laugh...I would apologise...and she would give me that really sweet smile that she has...Made ya feel warm all over...

I was lookin at her in the Getz holding that bottle... It made me choke...I was so proud and honored to be present when her items were found...Reminded me of my grandparents (Harry and Josephine Beam) and how much I miss them...I was jealous of Chuck and Margie for having her...Soooooooo Grandma Brayant...you are stuck with me grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Ya just adopted a grandaughter...

Oh Well...I enjoy having a cool.gif good time cool.gif ...I enjoy making sure my friends have a good time...I want to extend my welcome mat out to all our your family...We still have a lot to see...Like I have said before...Just let me know when ya want ta go grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Hey Chuck,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I hope Brenda's camera captured a good photo of us all.

Chuck,

During Chuck's visit we went to Heaven Hill to see the, soon to be, new visitor center and the burned out Distillery...While we were lookin at the visitor center, I pointed directly across the road to where the fire started...A big ole field of warehouses...

I tried to discribe to em what the "Big" fire looked like. Flames, 22 stories tall...Ya know, after all these years I "still" can't describe it...I guess it's a fear thing...I really don't know...but there ain't words that can tell it shocked.gif ...

This field of warehouse's is very big...I'm not a judge of distance...but I believe that if I tried to run to the end and back...I would not be able to do it crazy.gif ...I pointed at warehouse "Y" and said that is where the milestone barrels are stored...Grandma Bryant asked me, "How many warehouses are in that field? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif Ohhhhhhhh Noooooooooooo...I didn't have a clue...I said let's count em...we did...I think we counted 13...but we could not see all of em...Hmmmmmmmmmmm wink.gif I knew then that I had some homework to do...I could not believe it, out of all the years I have done the booth no one has asked me that question...

Heaven Hill WAREHOUSES....Their rules and lingo...

This does not inclued the warehouses at Bernheim...Heaven Hill makes the bourbon there, transports it to Bardstown for aging*******That's another story a I ain't gonna go there****

Heaven Hill has a total of 40 warehouses...(at four different locations) Heaven Hill (18) Deatsville (9) Glennco (4) Schenley (9)...We lost 7 warehouses in the fire...There are currently 600,000+++ barrels of bourbon aging in our warehouses...I think that they say it's 17% of the future "holdings" of bourbon in the world.

There are two type of warehouses..."Tall-house"...and a "Flat-house"...

A Tall-house, warhouse, is what I consider a "regular" lookin warehouse...Metal clad, a bunch of windows, with wooden floors...Seven stories tall...with seven floors...Inside...on every floor...there is a "run way" down the center, and completely around each floor with a elevator entrance and exit in the center...There are two rows of ricks on each floor...holding 15 barrels each...3 high...Sorry...I asked him (a former warhouseman) how many total ricks on each floor...he said he never counted em...but at a guess he said probably 15 rows on each side...and Tall-house will hold 20,000 barrels...Go Figure...I ain't...

Flat-house---(the only ones we have are at Schenley)...They are metal clad, concrete floor, and just one story tall...no goin upstairs cause there ain't none...The ricks are seven high...no elvevators...Just one runway on the end...A man is strapped to a ricker...lifted up to the top of the rick to load the barrel---one rick (in one row) holds 34 barrels...

Barrels entering the warehouse are called "Entry"...barrels leaving the warehouse are called "re-gauge"...

Barrels stored in a warehouse have to be "bung up"...If you don't have the bung up the bourbon or "white dog" will leak out...Each barrel has a certain timming method called the "Clock" which has to be exact so when that barrel reaches the end of the rick that Bung will be up...meaning on the very top...Just imagine trying to maneuver a 500 pound barrel in a rick...Believe me, you don't want to do it...Soooooooooooo...You always, make sure that you have a good "Setter" (the person, how puts the barrels in the rick) it will save you a lot of hard work...

The clock---This is where the bung (on the barrel) should be, when the barrel is sitting at the entrance of the rick...It's "sort of" like a tellin time, except you only use the minutes part of it...25 Over...means that if you were lookin at the barrel (layin down on it side) looking at the head...the bung should (where the minute hands would be on a clock) 25 minutes after the hour... frown.gif Oh well frown.gif if ya don't get it...it's to hard to explain...

The clock on a standard Tallhouse at Heaven Hill is:

1. 25 over

2. 15 up

3. 10 over

4. Bottom

5. 10 up

6. 15 over

7. 20 up

8. Top

9. 20 over

10. 20 up

11. Top

12. 25 over

13. 15 up

14. 5 over

15. Bottom

Well... blush.gif I'm done blush.gif ...I hope that "some' of ya follow me...I can tell ya a lot better that I can write this stuff...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Heaven Hill makes the bourbon there, transports it to Bardstown for aging*******That's another story a I ain't gonna go there****

I called Grandma Bryant tonight to say hi. She wanted me to extend her thanks again to the SB.com crew that helped us out this past Saturday. She really enjoyed herself.

I told her it was one of those magical days where you don't know what to expect, but everything falls into place and creates a memory you'll have for a long time. smile.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.