What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

VWFRR "B" stock and some Ritt BIB last night.

Both so good... I'm pretty sure that Ritt BIB would be a much sought after and coveted dram fetching high $$$ if it were to disappear completely.

It's definitely one of those "they don't make 'em like that anymore" type offerings that has "legendary status" potential

I finished my night with some WTR101. It's the first bottle I've bought of it, and I'm really warming up to it. It has a very recognizable rye-ness to it, but the corn and the proof elevate it above just about all the LDI ryes out there.

With a bar full of so many wonderful barrel-proof, unfiltered, limited edition whiskeys it's often hard for me to reach for a value pour, but the WTR101 was the perfect capper for me last night.

The only other current WT product I've had is the 101 bourbon. I think the rye is miles better.

I finished my night with some WTR101. It's the first bottle I've bought of it, and I'm really warming up to it. It has a very recognizable rye-ness to it, but the corn and the proof elevate it above just about all the LDI ryes out there.

With a bar full of so many wonderful barrel-proof, unfiltered, limited edition whiskeys it's often hard for me to reach for a value pour, but the WTR101 was the perfect capper for me last night.

The only other current WT product I've had is the 101 bourbon. I think the rye is miles better.

Completely agree on the WT101 Bourbon vs. the WT101 Rye.

Completely agree on the WT101 Bourbon vs. the WT101 Rye.

I don't know, I've had some bottles of the rye that were really good and the last couple were pretty bad.

Then again the 101 bourbon is pretty variable, too, but I've never had one that I would call "bad."

Enjoying some W H Harrison Governor's Reserve. It is a barrel proof at 115 proof. It is technically a "high rye" bourbon, but I would rate it over many of the rye whiskeys that I have tried. A very intense rye flavor.

Willett Single Barrell: 5 year, 110 proof.

Just opened this bottle.

Color: honey

Nose: minty, oaky

Taste: Dry, oaky with a long deep minty-rye finish

I'm really enjoying this. Very high quality rye. Nice price also.

I don't know, I've had some bottles of the rye that were really good and the last couple were pretty bad.

Then again the 101 bourbon is pretty variable, too, but I've never had one that I would call "bad."

I'm not calling WT101 Bourbon "bad," I simply prefer their Rye most of the time.

Up visiting family in Wisconsin, found a bottle of Stephen Foster, not too bad for an 80 proof.

Drinking some more Stephen Fosters, apparently I really like it considering I drank half a liter last night!

Finishing up the evening with Rittenhouse BIB...it don't get much better even though this time tomorrow, I should have a Saz 18 to add to the family.

Found a bar that serves all of the buffalo trace stuff including VW rye. $13 for a 1.5 oz pour but worth it at the bar...really enjoyed the nose and finish on this rye.

The usual suspects:

Rittenhouse BIB

Pikesville 80 (So cheap, so tasty!!)

Old Overholt 80

Wild Turkey 101 rye

Russell's Reserve 90

Oh, and Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye!

Anyone else notice a big variation in Ritt BIB? My current bottle is all cotton candy and marshmallow, while the previous bottle was dusty cherries. Both are great, and I've pretty much decided that Ritt is going to be my standard pour, but it's crazy to me how different these are. What are these, small batch? Both should be 2011 bottlings.

Vintage 21, begins very woody, but opens up after a few minutes to beautiful combination of sweetness and spice, very rich for a rye.

Anyone else notice a big variation in Ritt BIB? My current bottle is all cotton candy and marshmallow, while the previous bottle was dusty cherries. Both are great, and I've pretty much decided that Ritt is going to be my standard pour, but it's crazy to me how different these are. What are these, small batch? Both should be 2011 bottlings.

Weird. I'm almost done with my current bottle. I'll have to pop open a second one and compare. I noticed sometime in the past year that the back label went from matching black to a tan label. Wording and bar code are still identical. Maybe this is some identifier as to some change over. Oh well, it's all water under the bridge anyway since we'll soon have a constant supply of Bernheim rye filling the bottles!

Did a little vintage 21 - VWFRR comparison tonight. The v21 is better right out of the shoot. The VW is a little thin, tight, rough around the edges at first pour. A few drops of water and 30 minutes later things have progressed nicely. Both have improved, but the VW more so. It still has its wonderfully assertive rye spice, but there is a creaminess to the mouthfeel that was lacking earlier. This makes it approach the v21's overall richness, but never quite get there. While I like them both very much, the Vintage 21 is the better of the two. Although that is splitting hairs a bit as they are both excellent whiskeys. The rich character of the v21 carries the rye spice in a way that no other rye that I've tried has. To me, it is the rye for a wheated bourbon lover.

A Hirsch 22yr that has been open for about 6 months. Sublime.

Man, I miss my bottle of this. Such a good rye.

Spent the last few days in Chicago and brought along a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB (since I'm cheap and won't pay for hotel well whiskey). Hadn't opened a bottle of this stuff in quite some time, but am I glad I chose this for my travel whiskey. Really soft on the entry, lots of bourbon sweetness picking up the rye spice in the finish. I've been drinking it for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get over what a steal Ritt is.

Enjoying a generous pour of Abraham Bowman Rye.

If it's the barrel strength bottling that's the best rye I've ever tasted.

If it's the barrel strength bottling that's the best rye I've ever tasted.

Dave, you finally got into your bottle?

Dave, you finally got into your bottle?

Yes, finally. What an amazing rye. I did a side by side with Handy and the Bowman blew it away.

Yes, finally. What an amazing rye. I did a side by side with Handy and the Bowman blew it away.

Agreed! It's a shame that there won't be any more.

Yes it's the barrel strength. I am sampling it slowly to make it last but I also have two more bottles in the bunker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.