A New Domestic Beer Leader - Yuengling

Bourbon Boiler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not in Ohio. $7.99 vs $5.17.

I'll double check next time I'm in the store. I never look at SA products as I never buy them. They were nice 10 years ago when there was less variety. Now I'll go the other way and pay a dollar or two more for a much better micro brew than SA.

SA has priced themselves out of the market for my tastes. The fact that I'm not real fond of the beer makes it even easier to walk on by.

I get their Octoberfest, but that's pretty much it. If I get a macrobrew, it'll almost always be a Sierra Nevada offering - their Celebration Ale, Torpedo, and Tumbler are the same price as Sam Adams and in another league as far as taste.

I'd definitely get Yuengling for $5.17 a sixer, though. That's cheaper than Schlitz up here.

My shopping cart today. The BA box still says "seasonal" but the production date on the cans says 12/23/11

I'm set for a while now. :grin:

AjJth46CMAA25ya.jpg

Fun fact: at least last year, Bitter American was the most expensive beer for them to make. I don't know why that was, and maybe they've gotten the cost down since then, but I never would have guessed.

I'm having one right now - excellent, excellent beer.

I like Yuengling. A nice, solid, American-owned regular beer. Although I still drink Bud occasionally, Yuengling has replaced it in my regular rotation for that category, solely in response to A-B selling out. Principal of the thing, and all that BS. :D

It's the current Darling. But, I know how these things go. In 5 years or so, there will be the backlash, as something new (or old) comes along. It will run the normal course, "too big", "ruined since they went national", "quality has suffered", "all marketing", "unfair to the small guys", "XYZ American owned beer is really what you should be buying, because they do this, that and the other."...yadda yadda yadda...

OK for now, but I'm just sayin'!! :D

Fun fact: at least last year, Bitter American was the most expensive beer for them to make. I don't know why that was, and maybe they've gotten the cost down since then, but I never would have guessed.

I'm having one right now - excellent, excellent beer.

I must give credit to Dean Sheen for turning me on to both beers pictured. I favor the BA over Session red, but both are excellent. The BA gives me a hop fix without having to traipse into the unbalanced high alcohol hoppy selections.

I'm glad they made it a year round, too. :grin:

I must give credit to Dean Sheen for turning me on to both beers pictured. I favor the BA over Session red, but both are excellent. The BA gives me a hop fix without having to traipse into the unbalanced high alcohol hoppy selections.

Not in Ohio. $7.99 vs $5.17.

SA has priced themselves out of the market for my tastes. The fact that I'm not real fond of the beer makes it even easier to walk on by.

There is more difference here, too. I can't say exactly how much, because Sam Adams has priced themselves beyond my market, too. I can often buy good imports for less than SA.

I am thinking Yuengling is in the $5.50-6.50 range and Sam Adams is in the $8-9 range, here.

Tim

Well thanks for the credit but this thread is not complete without mention of St. Lew and his crusade for drinkable and tasty beers. praise Lew!

http://sessionbeerproject.blogspot.com/

Sam Adams Lager is $1 more per six pack, or 16 cents extra per beer, compared to Yuengling. That's the deal of the century, and I see it every time I go to the store. My wife made me realize that Sam Adams, when it's not fresh, can be nasty, while Yuengling is always fizzy corn water refreshing, so it's important to get a newly brewed bottle.

If I'm gonna drink beer, would prefer a Yuengling but have to rely on others hauling it up to me from the states its available in...

I am drinking one of these monkey beers now. It is exactly as you describe, Scott. Hop fix without having to traipse into the unbalanced high alcohol hoppy selections. Not that mind that, mind you....But, sometimes ya just need a break. I like this beer.

I am drinking one of these monkey beers now. It is exactly as you describe, Scott. Hop fix without having to traipse into the unbalanced high alcohol hoppy selections. Not that mind that, mind you....But, sometimes ya just need a break. I like this beer.

Welcome to club monkey! I think it's the best beer 21st Amendment makes. Back in Black is not bad though.

• 2 months later...

I think you'll be waiting a long time for national distribution of Yuengling!

I had some last week traveling though DC -- a big step up from the adjunct brews and not as "craft-y" (i.e. hoppy) as Sam's.

Not sure what the closest regional equivalent would be in CA. When I lived there some 20 years ago, probably Henry Weinhard's, but I recall it being only a minor step up from the Buds of the era.

Either the pricing you get on Sam Adams is really good or the pricing you get on Yuengling is really bad.

At the local grocery store last night, the pricing for the same packages sizes was as follows:

Sam Adams Boston Lager 6-pack $9.49

Sam Adams Boston Lager 12-pack $16.89

Yuengling Original Amber Lager 6-pack bottles $5.99

Yuengling Original Amber Lager 12-pack bottles $9.99

Given how competitive the beer industry is, I suspect this is more likely to be representative of the price differential between the two products in most retail chains.

I generally find SA Boston Lager for around $8 a six pack here in Chicago. Your prices are a bummer!:grin: And still no sign of Yuengling at my local liquor store which is another bummer.

I think you'll be waiting a long time for national distribution of Yuengling!

I had some last week traveling though DC -- a big step up from the adjunct brews and not as "craft-y" (i.e. hoppy) as Sam's.

Not sure what the closest regional equivalent would be in CA. When I lived there some 20 years ago, probably Henry Weinhard's, but I recall it being only a minor step up from the Buds of the era.

Weinhards brings back memories of drinking beer with my grandpa when I was a little kid and then buying it by the case in college as an alternative to Bud/Miller/Coors and whatever swill was in the keg. I pick up a six pack every couple years to reminisce.

Good to hear there's Yuengling in DC. I'll be out their in April.

While I don't see much to the novelty of yuengling lager or light lager, I love the black and tan and cheers to Yuengling for pricing it the same as the lager. I bought some Yuengling Bock the other day and like it too. It is seasonal and back on the market after a 40 year absence according to their website. One of these days, when time permits, I am going to Sharon, Pa. to fetch the other 3 versions of Yuengling that aren't available here yet. I don't mind trying their products, they are doing the right thing!

Thomas

Either the pricing you get on Sam Adams is really good or the pricing you get on Yuengling is really bad.

At the local grocery store last night, the pricing for the same packages sizes was as follows:

Sam Adams Boston Lager 6-pack $9.49

Sam Adams Boston Lager 12-pack $16.89

Yuengling Original Amber Lager 6-pack bottles $5.99

Yuengling Original Amber Lager 12-pack bottles $9.99

Given how competitive the beer industry is, I suspect this is more likely to be representative of the price differential between the two products in most retail chains.

I'm pretty sure I have everyone beat, Utah DABC charges $1.85/bottle of any Sam Adams, so I'm looking at $11.10/6pk or $22.20/12pk. I only buy a single bottle of the seasonals that are exceptionally good.

As far as Yuengling, I was initially very under-whelmed on first taste after hearing so much about it and how people travel to other states just to get it. Then it grew on me and I have to call it one of the the best values on the market today. Too bad I moved out of Ohio just before regular distribution expanded there!

I used to drink Yuengling Lager quite a bit until about 5 years ago. I started getting bad batches quite often from numerous retailers. After having this happen a few dozen times, now all I buy is their Lord Chesterfield, which has always been my favorite of the Yuengling line-up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.