Which overpriced bottle should I buy. . .

SeaninSD
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found a store today with a great selection, and terrible prices. My question is, do I buy a PVW 15 for $99, a Willian L. Weller for $129 or pass on both?

I haven't had either one and know they are both tough to find and expensive, but these prices seem high.

I did find a GTS for $75 a week ago and the $129 for the WLW makes me even happier for the GTS price.

I'd pass on both, assuming the Pappy 15 is from 2011. If it's an earlier bottling, I'd spring the $99 for it.

Honestly, if the WLW is the 2011 release I say go for it. In my opinion it is the best bourbon I've ever had (and I wish I had more of it). Don't get me wrong the PVW 15 is awesome as well. But I've never had anything like the WLW from 2011.

Im w the other posters. I'd pass on the WLW. If the PVW is 2009 or earlier, you need to make a decision. If it is this years release, I'd pass at that price. I got 2 bottles for msrp BEFORE I found out it is now 100 bt. For around 50 bucks it is a buy. Much more than that I'd pass.

I went to a store yesterday in San Diego that had Handy and Saz 18 for $199. Talk about price gouging! The pappy 20 was $300+...makes your Pappy 15 seem like a deal!!

I paid $80 for this year's Pappy 15 so I guess $20 extra for a nice bottle isn't crazy. Sure it's not SW but it's pretty darn good! If you already have lots of Pappy 15 in the bunker, I wouldn't buy either but if you really want a bottle, $99 is still cheaper than Ebay :)

There has been a bottle of Pappy 23 in a West Lafayette liquor store for over 18 months now. I think the $345 asking price (IIRC, if I'm wrong I'm close) might have something to do with that.

There has been a bottle of Pappy 23 in a West Lafayette liquor store for over 18 months now. I think the $345 asking price (IIRC, if I'm wrong I'm close) might have something to do with that.

They are just as bad down here in Indy. Lowest I have seen is $300. Some places have them up for $399.

I'd take the plunge at $200-$250. No way at those prices, though.

They are just as bad down here in Indy. Lowest I have seen is $300. Some places have them up for $399.

I guess I'm glad San Diego is not the only place with crazy high prices. I'll have to keep looking!

I guess I'm glad San Diego is not the only place with crazy high prices. I'll have to keep looking!

Wow those are some high prices! I'd go WLW based on reviews. I got my 2011 Pappy 15 for $65 last month. My 2011 WLW was $70. I was at a store last night that had Pappy 20 for $150 and I thought about pulling the trigger, but decided not to.

Do they move in Indy at those prices?

Do they move in Indy at those prices?

Hah, nope. They sit on the shelves. I haven't seen one of them sell since I started paying attention back in September.

Hah, nope. They sit on the shelves. I haven't seen one of them sell since I started paying attention back in September.

That's what I would have assumed. I don't know how long hte West Lafayette bottle has been there, I'd ask to hold the bottle to try to find out but with my luck I'd drop it.

I tried WLW at a bar for the first time last night and now really want a bottle. Still don't want to pay $129, but I'll keep looking!:bigeyes:

• 5 weeks later...

I'd love a bottle of WLW, but I missed the release and can't find one anywhere in the NYC area. Had my first taste of it last week and went back for another. What a bourbon!

I would say it's price gouging to be sure; especially on the WLW. WLW goes for about 169 - 200 on eBay and the MSRP is around 59-89 depending on where you go.

The PVW 15 is also near double in price. If it isn't SW juice, I wouldn't pay 99 bux for it. You could buy two bottles of 4 Roses Single barrel, or 3 bottles of W.L. Weller 12yr or OWA.

You could just try talking to the Manager and see if he'd be willing to go down on the price. Otherwise, I would shop elsewhere and get your name on a waiting list for next year. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.