WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here is Eddie Russell's clarification:

"I meant that there is no 101pf rye in current production or scheduled for the next months, as there is a shortage of rye.

We have 81pf rye out there and allocated what we have available of 101 rye. As the shortage improves, 101 rye will be back, but probably not for 2012."

So stock up for a year, not for forever.

WOOT! Best news I've heard for a while. Hopefully they get some 101 rollin' in 2013 or 2014. I'm stocked well enough until about 2020 or so.

"I meant that there is no 101pf rye in current production or scheduled for the next months, as there is a shortage of rye.

We have 81pf rye out there and allocated what we have available of 101 rye. As the shortage improves, 101 rye will be back, but probably not for 2012."

OK, so I'm just trying to understand how this will work. Per Eddie Russell's original statement, they are going to use older rye stocks to offset to loss of proof in the new WTR 81. So, presumably, the older stocks (whatever that means) are going to be depleted for WTR 81.

When the shortage of rye improves (presumably meaning there is more 4 YO aged rye available), they'll bring back WTR 101. So, for this to happen, WT needed to ramp up rye production back in 2009 in order to meet this increased demand they correctly expected to see if WTR 101 has a shot of being re-introduced in 2013 (as I'm understanding that they weren't producing enough rye in 2008 in order to meet current demand for WTR 101 in 2012).

So, is my thinking completely off, or does anybody know if WT did in fact increase rye production in 2009? Also, if the production halt is supposed to be temporary, why wasn't the initial statement that WT was bringing out WTR 81 just until they could get sufficient rye stocks to support both products? Sure seems like they created a lot of confusion for such a simple explanation.

What am I not getting about this quote? Seems that if there is a shortage of rye, they would be UPPING production - rather than saying there's none in production or scheduled?

Is he referring ONLY to bottling (vs. distilling)? If it's bottling, that makes sense - but I wish he would address the distilling questions: did they up the creation of rye in the past few years?

Sounds like hogwash to me - this makes far too much business sense for them to back peddle in to 101 in 12 months (or whatever) given all the other factors...

Just my $.02, but WT has never been good about bringing back GOOD products they've dropped... I'm stocking up for the millennium.

Sure seems like they created a lot of confusion for such a simple explanation.

Sounds like hogwash to me...

Their explanation for why the 8/101 is bottled only for export is equally lame.

I've probably said too much on this thread already, but I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head.

"We don't have enough of our product to go around, so we're going to divert the existing stock into a watered down version instead of just allocating."

I guess "give 'em the bird" isn't just a marketing slogan, it's a brand management strategy, too.

I've probably said too much on this thread already, but I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head.

"We don't have enough of our product to go around, so we're going to divert the existing stock into a watered down version instead of just allocating."

I guess "give 'em the bird" isn't just a marketing slogan, it's a brand management strategy, too.

Post of the month right there. Thanks!

The changeover to 81 proof certainly frosts my ass too but it is what is is...a well strategized and most probably focus group tested business decision. And you can't expect the Russell's as the highest of brand spokespersons to bite the hand that feeds them. I'm sure they loved doing the finger routine as much as we did :bigeyes: .

WT Rye has been below radar even within whatever Rye renaissance has happened. The few stores here that carry it have the same bottles as they did 5 years ago while Ritt and Templeton flew off the shelf. The majority of American whiskey drinkers don't know or care that Wild Turkey made a 101 proof Rye. If Templeton can be a wildly popular allocated Rye at 80 proof...why not Wild Turkey. Most spirits are at 80 proof and unless the macro whiskey world experiences what happened in the beer world is there any need for them to consider enthusiast wishes on lower to mid shelf products. Sad but true...and maybe too, in spite of all the strategy, it will work out as good as (ri)1 did for Beam :grin: .

LOL!!! We will see the WT101 new production on the shelf right after they ship the new release of RR101....

Here is the official word.

Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof will be launched in the US, Australia and Japan this year.

Wild Turkey Rye 101 is not being discontinued. In fact, it has surged in popularity, up 20%, and as such is on allocation. That's why it is in short supply in some markets.

Bad news, kids: according to Eddie Russell (technically a Campari spokesperson, but with perhaps a bit more authority) the WT101 rye is going away to be replaced by 81 proof -- and he is in on the change. Jimmy was standing next to him as he told us at Julio's in MA last night.

He acknowledged that it would be unpopular but asked us to taste it before complaining.

My take on the rationale is similar to their explanation for the WT81: they believe that they need a lower-proof offering -- primarily for bars and "younger generation" switchers from lighter spirits -- but they are using older whiskey than the four-years-and-a-day of the WT80 bourbon and today's WT101 rye.

This right here is why companies have PR departments. Figure out what the story is and then stick with it, for crying out loud.

Most spirits are at 80 proof and unless the macro whiskey world experiences what happened in the beer world is there any need for them to consider enthusiast wishes on lower to mid shelf products. Sad but true...and maybe too, in spite of all the strategy, it will work out as good as (ri)1 did for Beam :grin: .

My gut tells me that most of the increase 101 sales were driven by enthusiasts. Based on the highly unscientific sample of this board alone, people seem to prefer the 101 rye to the Russell's Reserve by a wide margin. Campari may see it (the 101) as a lower tier product but I'd be curious to see who's actually buying it.

All right, I'm going to stop with the:deadhorse: now.

Wild Turkey 81 Rye is on the list of whiskies that will be at booth 52 during Chicago WhiskyFest. Two and half weeks and I'll know if it is worth buying.

I suspect if you take 101 down to 81 PF by adding water you will have a pretty good idea of how the 81 will taste.... at its best...

LOL!!! We will see the WT101 new production on the shelf right after they ship the new release of RR101....

to be on the safe side, i got a case + of the 101. got a 10% discount so even using my credit card, i paid $18.99/bottle.

best part of the purchase was that in my "hunt" for the wt rye 101 (went to 5 stores closest to my work and house), i stumbled upon a pvw 20 yo and got it for original msrp. don't know how that baby lasted that long.

I had an interesting experience with WT Rye 101 today. I stopped by one of the larger stores in town. I didn't see any on the shelf so I stopped by the register to have them look at the inventory before I left. The lady that helped me was very nice and helpful. After talking for less than a minute it was clear that she did not have a clue when it came to the world of whiskey, which is more than fine. She asked if I would like to have them order some and I gave her the 20 second version of what happened to explain the 0 btls in inventory and to also avoid placing the special order since that wasn't important to me and would probably be a waste of time anyway.

She looked at me and asked, "how are they going to discontinue the 101 Rye? Isn't 101 proof their thing?"

I asked her, "do you drink WT?" She said, "No, I don't drink whiskey."

We had a moment together.

Even people who aren't WT customers are scratching their heads on this one.

to be on the safe side, i got a case + of the 101. got a 10% discount so even using my credit card, i paid $18.99/bottle.

best part of the purchase was that in my "hunt" for the wt rye 101 (went to 5 stores closest to my work and house), i stumbled upon a pvw 20 yo and got it for original msrp. don't know how that baby lasted that long.

For $18.99 you got the best value in quality rye whiskey today, IMO. If it does re-appear you still made a great buy. Congrats!!!

I can say that, as far as I can tell, Columbia SC is out of WT Rye 101. This surprises me because previously it didn't seem to hardly move on the shelf.

I wrote Campari asking about this whole thing a while back. This was my email:

To: <wildturkeybourbon@qualitycustomercare.com>

cc:

Date: 2/21/2012 2:09:42 PM

Wild Turkey folks,

A few control states have started listing Wild Turkey Rye as 81 proof instead

of 101 proof. Is it really changing or are those just mistakes?

Joshua

This morning I received this email.

Dear Joshua,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us about Wild Turkey Rye. There is a Wild Turkey 81 proof but Wild Turkey Rye is 101 proof.

Thank you again for contacting Campari America

Sincerely,

Jodi

Campari America

Consumer Relations

Thanks Jodi.

I'm still suspicious that there is no TTB COLA application for a new-style rye label at 101 proof.

I was wondering about this as well. I hope that those

of you who monitor the COLAs will let us know when/if

you see a new label.

I was wondering about this as well. I hope that those

of you who monitor the COLAs will let us know when/if

you see a new label.

No problem. I check it once a month just to see what's coming out locally. Here in OR microdistilleries are popping up like mushrooms after a summer rain. An updated list I just received from the OLCC lists 57 (not all of these are actually distilling; a number - such as Big Bottom - are just bottlers of purchased juice).

Wow! Great customer relations, Jodi...

Part of this problem is that is a parent company spokes person trying to answer question for a lot of companies. She can't be in the know on what going on on at all of them and be up to date. If WT would answer THEIR email we wouldn't be having this discusion but WT will not respond to their email and that is why you have to email Campari and get third hand information. :smiley_acbt:

fwiw, a salesman at one of the major chains in houston told me this week that wt rye 101 was being discontinued, that they sold out and that they will not be getting any more in. he is the person that orders the bourbons and ryes for the store. this doesn't necessarily conflict with the "unavailable for 2012 but back in 2012" but...

better to be safe than sorry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.