What dictates which bottle you pour?

JayMonster
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We all have a likes and dislikes. That is not what this is about. It is about what you select at any given moment, the choice betwen your choices. What dictates, which bottle from which you choose to drink?

Is it mood? Situation? Do you have certain "triggers" that make you pick one of the items from your stash?

Perhaps this would be better put with my own examples.

Thursday Night Bowling. Though I will almost always grab a wheater as my first choice, I don't on Thursdays. Bowling night is for me, a night for Devil's Cut. whether I want it neat, on the rocks or in soda that particular evening (usually dictated by how hot it is in the lanes), it works for me. I am not spending time searching for the nuances, I just enjoy the oak, smoke and bourbon flavor and that is all I am interested in.

Friday Night - After getting everybody off to bed, and the dog has been walked, it is time to unwind. Whether I am catching up in SB, sitting back and watching something (usually something like NCIS), or sitting outside by a fire, this is the time I want my OWA. Nothing else to distract me, this is when I want flavor to spare, to entertain, to intrigue. This is the time I want to spend finding those nuances.

Football Sundays, Hockey, etc - No nonsense times call for no-nonse drinks. Mood can vary, but still want something a little less thought provoking. Jim Beam Black, (and now recently) Knob Creek or Buffalo Trace.

Other times it is strictly on "feel" or experimentation.

So, what about you? Do certain events, times or some other factor dictate one pour over the other?

For me it's mostly about what I am doing that evening. If I'm hanging out in the garage or around the grill with neighbors, or just messing around doing odds and ends... It's ususlly with an everyday pour like BT, Weller 12, ETL, ERSB 10, OWA, EC 12, OGD BIB, etc...

Now if I am simply relaxing in the rocker, or taking in a ball game... The it's usually with a premium, dusty or private selection. I enjoy these more when I have quality time to enjoy and appreciate their various attributes.

Nice P&F pic btw. You should have started with, "I know what we're going to drink today."

It's more my mood than anything else. I usually pour when the little girl and wife have gone to bed, and I'm preparing for the next work day. If there's something to celebrate, then it's Pappy or WTAS or WT Tradition. If I'm being refelctive, then it's Blanton's, ER10, or WTKS. If I'm experimenting, I'll make a Manhattan and tweak something from my normal recipie. If I know I'll be up a while, I'll hit EC, Bulleit, OGD, BT, or VOB and probably have at least two different pours.

Then there's always the trip to the cabinet with one intention, and a particular bottle catches my eye just because it hasn't been opened in a while.

It's usually mood for me. Sometimes, I just want a taste of whiskey, be it Bourbon or Scotch, and sometimes Irish. For those times it depends on if I want sweet and easy or spicy and more...... rugged?

I usually like the more nuanced stuff when I'm in a great mood and things have gone well, throughout the day.

Normally, my mood dictates as well whether I want something soft or more coarse. Almost as much a factor for me - as strange as it sounds, is the weather. In fall & winter, I find myself leaning heavily toward the rye & more rye heavy bourbons...the spicier & higher proof is where I will gravitate. Also, add rain or snow, and it drives me that way even stronger. In spring/summer, the warmer seasons, I desire the softer wheaters and more in the 86-96 proof range.

It's mood and whim for me too. I'll go to the cabinet and pull whatever fits my fancy at the moment. Can't remember the taste? Pour it. Love the sweet and spice? Pour it! Some days I stick with the same bottle, other days I hop around like a kangaroo.

Normally, my mood dictates as well whether I want something soft or more coarse. Almost as much a factor for me - as strange as it sounds, is the weather. In fall & winter, I find myself leaning heavily toward the rye & more rye heavy bourbons...the spicier & higher proof is where I will gravitate. Also, add rain or snow, and it drives me that way even stronger. In spring/summer, the warmer seasons, I desire the softer wheaters and more in the 86-96 proof range.

Weather dictates my choice to some extent, as well as the craving itself. If there's snow on the ground, it's unlikely I'm going to bed without a pour. I'll skip several days at a time when the temp hits 90.

I agree, mood and at times time of day for me. I will start sometimes with a late afternoon pour of WR or Weller Antique then transition to EC12, KC or WTRB.

A good hard day of work or celebration will call for Booker's or PHC.

Shouldn't that be Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Joe? :slappin:

I like it! :grin:

I go by proof, do I want a powerful pour or an easy sipper.

BTAC WLWeller is a nice strong pour

And Wild Turkey American Spirit 15 bottle in bond at 100 is a nice easy drink.

Tonight I mixed it up,

All 3 of PHC that I have, then PVW 15, WT 15, Four Roses 2011, BTAC WLW,

Then I passed out not carrying. lol.

Rough days at the office make me feel like I have earned the right for a top shelf night. Couple Pappys and then switch up to BT or a Weller. If I want to drink to forget, couple drinks and then switch to Stagg... Time travel.

I like to go from less intense (flavor/alcohol) to increased flavor and strength. Start out with a mild wheater...then move on to spicey rye profile...finish with straight from the barrel pour.

Other factors that determine what I pick is the day I have had. If I made lots of money...I deserve something like Blanton's. If I made not so much money...maybe Maker's Mark.

Like everyone else my mood plays into it or how the work day went, but it also depends on who I'm with. I personally feel that the best bourbon is really only at its best if it can be shared with others who appreciate it.

If the fam is in town then I hit a couple of better but not best bottles like ORVW10 or 12. If my bourbon friends are in town then it is starting at the top with BTAC or PVW23/20 or WTAS and goes down hill from there. If it is just the wife, since she could care less about bourbon, then I typically go for something like OWA or Jeff Res or Basil or something I haven't had in awhile that doesn't make me think too much, but still has some quality bourbon traits to enjoy.

Like everyone else my mood plays into it or how the work day went, but it also depends on who I'm with. I personally feel that the best bourbon is really only at its best if it can be shared with others who appreciate it.

If the fam is in town then I hit a couple of better but not best bottles like ORVW10 or 12. If my bourbon friends are in town then it is starting at the top with BTAC or PVW23/20 or WTAS and goes down hill from there. If it is just the wife, since she could care less about bourbon, then I typically go for something like OWA or Jeff Res or Basil or something I haven't had in awhile that doesn't make me think too much, but still has some quality bourbon traits to enjoy.

Mood almost entirely. Except in the warmer months of the year I'll switch to an Irish on the rocks or even a G&T.

If my throat feels scratchy and I realy want a drink I'll choose something on the low end proof wise and more often than not a wheater, Maker's 46, lot B.........

Mostly by whim. Something will trigger a thought during the day. Usually it's the taste itself of course, like "Man I could go for a PHC Golden Anniversary tonight." Or I'll just look over the collection until something jumps out. Sometimes it's geography. If I'm upstairs, I'll get a bottle from my study; downstairs, the bar. One premeditation is that I'll lean toward bottles that are 3/4 or more empty, so they don't degrade with the extra air exposure. If it's during or shortly before a bite I'll go with something simple, so as not to waste a more complex spirit. Sometimes it's totally off the wall. Like last Friday, I wanted something from a tall bottle... Bookers, BMH, Pappy 23. Not a squat or decanter type bottle. Go figure.

I go by proof, do I want a powerful pour or an easy sipper.

BTAC WLWeller is a nice strong pour

And Wild Turkey American Spirit 15 bottle in bond at 100 is a nice easy drink.

Tonight I mixed it up,

All 3 of PHC that I have, then PVW 15, WT 15, Four Roses 2011, BTAC WLW,

Then I passed out not carrying. lol.

For me it depends on the situation. When I have friends over to play pool or when I am stressed from work I like an easy drinking whiskey like Jamesons, Makers, or JWR. When I have little spare time with no distractions I like a whiskey with more character like Redbreast, EC12, or Talisker. When I am out with friends I like to drink bourbon and coke.

For me mostly it's the flavor profile I'm looking for..

If I want toasted oak, sweet, viscous, vanilla, rye bite or whatever, I reach for the one that offers that..

Ofcourse, I dont do much mixing with my good stuff either..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.