How do you like your martinis?

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

my last thread on the topic in 2007 fizzled out. maybe now we have some more martini drinkers.

I've stuck with the Bombay Sapphire dirty with Martini & Rossi dry vermouth. Still working on my 3 large bottles of Dirty Sue Olive Juice; have some others, too. Since Sam's closed in Highland Park, I have to stuff my own blue cheese olives; I ask for something soft at Whole Foods. However, today, we were in the city, so I got the olives at Binny's on Marcy St. that used to be the main Sam's store. The bottled store bought olives just don't cut it.

Only made a mini, since I had to go out after dinner.

2nd favorite gin: Hendricks

also rans: Tanq 10, Brokers, Northshore

never: vodka

IMAG0425.jpg

I don't drink martinis often but when I do I prefer them with a twist (since I'm not an olive fan). I have a few gins on hand - Hendrick's, Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's - and use one of these most of the time. I never make vodka martinis, but I will do the "James Bond" martini, which combines gin, vodka and lillet. I think this is very refreshing in the summer.

I still haven't tried a gin martini. I've always made mine with vodka and a hint of dry vermouth. Oh, and a bunch of olives! Gotta have the olives.

I rarely drink martinis, but the one that I tend to prefer is the "smokey" martini, which requires a touch of scotch. I also prefer the lemon twist, as olives are not really my thing, either.

I prefer a regular dry martini, simply made with Beefeater gin, dry vermouth, and three olives. Like others have already said, I don't have them very often.

Tim

I don't drink martinis often but when I do I prefer them with a twist (since I'm not an olive fan). I have a few gins on hand - Hendrick's, Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's - and use one of these most of the time. I never make vodka martinis, but I will do the "James Bond" martini, which combines gin, vodka and lillet. I think this is very refreshing in the summer.

I am a very big martini drinker. I like a high vermouth ratio, Dolin if possible, about 3:1 gin to vermouth. by far the smoothest gin I have found is Plymouth; it makes a beautiful, clean, martini. other favorites are #209 from San Francisco, a very floral and smooth gin; and Bombay- not the Sapphire. Broker's is also a frequent visitor. In case you haven't figured it out, I am not a fan of the higher juniper spicy gins; although if you are, Bombay Sapphire, Bluecoat, and Junipero are some of the best in that category. sometimes I will also do the James Bond version if a spicy gin is all that's available. a couple dashes of orange bitters and a twist of lemon and it's done: perfection in a glass.

I only can think of drinking martinis in the summer. My usual is (blasphemously) Ketel One vodka, 3 olives, and a hint of a rumor of a whisper of dry vermouth, served painfully cold.

I pretty much gave up martinis when I discovered the joys of Leopold's Gin on the rocks with a few olives; you don't have to worry about your vermouth going bad and no turning red in the face from operating the shaker.

I pretty much gave up gin when I started getting belligerent on it. Whiskey mostly mellows me and sometimes it can make my eyes shoot sparks, but gin goes straight to my head.

I probably did post on your previous thread, but i'm in an airport bar waiting for my flight, and I'm bored. It's always been Bombay Sapphire. But, I've been diggin' on Corsair's Gin of late. Heavy on the gin, light on the Vermouth. Not particular on the olives, but if'n I'm hungry, then olives with shtuff in 'em. But always now, always, a coating of the glass with worstestertestertestershire sause. :yum:

BTW, only Lea & Perrins on the WS....

I prefer a regular dry martini, simply made with Beefeater gin, dry vermouth, and three olives. Like others have already said, I don't have them very often.

Tim

This is exactly how I prefer mine as well.

A drunk lawyer in a bar once told his theory on martinis. He said they are exactly like breasts.

As I set with a puzzled look on my face he explained that one is simply not enough, three is WAY too many, and four is great, but just causes problems later.

I am a very big martini drinker. I like a high vermouth ratio, Dolin if possible, about 3:1 gin to vermouth. by far the smoothest gin I have found is Plymouth; it makes a beautiful, clean, martini. .....

saw some favorable reviews of Dolin vermouth on the 'net. may have to give it a try.

I tend toward 'tinis in the winter months, margaritas in the summer.

I prefer a twist. As for the recipe, I prefer Bombay Sapphire with Vya dry vermouth at a ratio of 4 to 1.

I like the mid-to-low juniper gins; my two favorites right now are Hendricks ($30 on sale) an Berkshire Distilling's "Greylock" gin ($27). I tend to pour at about 3.5:1 gin to vermouth, and garnish with three large olives. Stirred, not shaken, though my home method is more often to swish the drink and ice in the bottom of a shaker and then strain.

I prefer Beefeater dirty martini's. Beefeater, splash of M&R Dry vermouth, splash of olive brine and 3 olives.

Fill glass with crushed ice and water to chill

Fill shaker with ice

Add dry vermouth to shaker and coat ice

Discard excess

Add gin (preferably Sapphire) to shaker and shake

Remove ice and water from glass

Strain gin into glass

Add 3 olives (blue cheese stuffed are especially tasty on special occasions)

I enjoy a 10:1 Hendricks/Noilly Pratt Martini. Although, it has been a while since I mixed that. I might try it 5:1 next time.

• 4 weeks later...

So what defines a martini anymore? Seems to me it's anything in a martini glass. Was this always the case?

Craig

So what defines a martini anymore? Seems to me it's anything in a martini glass. Was this always the case?

Craig

No, it used to be dry gin and dry vermouth. Then came the vodka martini. Then there was slow evolution with slightly varying ingredients for a long, long time. The floodgates probably opened in the early to mid 90's and now, like you say, just about anything can be called a martini. Except, most people probably wouldn't know a real martini if it bit them in the ass.

Tim

• 1 month later...

got the Botanist gin, a new vermouth (Dolin, some soft blue cheese from Whole Foods and some pitted olives at Binnys (plain; didn't have to pull out pimentos).

So, it was time for a martini. The blue cheese, Saint Agur from France is excellent--soft, so easy to press into the olives and with a good taste. The gin is quite fragrant, but I can't absolutely say significantly better than Bombay Sapphire. Soon, it will be time for a gin vs gin taste-off.

Put the gin in the fridge for several hours and I keep the vermouth in the fridge. Put the glass in the freezer for a few hours too.

I went with about 2.75 oz gin, 0.5 oz vermouth and 0.25 oz olive juice (Dirty Sue).

IMAG0590.jpg

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0599.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.