Single-Barrel Consistency?

OneCubeOnly
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At least at Talisker, they will only put grain whisky in the first refill. Malt whisky doesn't go in until the second refill.

Speaking of barrel chemistry--do distilleries always keep the bung upward throughout the entire aging process? I would think that after the angels take their ~3% share each year, after a long while much of the barrel still has 'goodies' that aren't in contact with the whiskey.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. On the other hand The Macallan Gran Reserva is (almost?) all second fill (first re-fill) sherry casks. 'course what can you say about someone who would take pride in avoiding bourbon casks? lol.gif

Bettye Jo probably knows for sure, but I think the bung has to stay between two o'clock and ten o'clock.

Is that the time of day that the most evaporation occurs and they need the bungs in then?

For what it's worth I got a thing from Small Batch KBC and they are including and making a small fuss over the amount of Sunlight that filters into the rackhouse and over the sleeping barrels. I don't remember that topic being discussed here , Anyone?

Although Chuck's clock references concern the position of the bung relative to the horizon--as in 12 o'clock being perfectly centered on top of the barrel when resting in the rack--the sunlight issue is a big deal at BT and perhaps at other distilleries, too.

The Buffalo Trace/Van Winkle barrel chosen by Tim Stannard for his Woodside Partners' Reserve was a "window sitter."

• 3 weeks later...

As usual you are right...

The bung has to be between 10 and 2...If it ain't...somebody has ta get their crow bar out and make it be there...

I remember being trained how to "roll barrels" for the barrel rolling contest...Our Chief barrel roller on the men's team is, Billy Barnett...Let me tell ya...Ya, don't want the man to ever, ever, hafta hit ya...I knocked the barrel off the track...He picked it up with his bare hand and put it back on track...Good Grief...I stood there with my mouth hanging open...Those barrels weigh 500 pounds each...

Hmmmmmm...Now that's a grin.gif strong man grin.gif...and he does not roll barrels for a living...He drives our "Evan Williams" trucks for Parker....

grin.gifgrin.gifBettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

• 7 months later...

Soooo, what happened to this barrel?

Should we assume it went out of the country? Or became a one-off bottling selling in, I don't know, the west coast or Texas or something?

Christopher

bandit.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.