JD TN Honey & JB Red Stag

thanis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just wanted to say I finally gave red stag a try (and while I was at the store gave Jack's wiskey / honey liqueur mix a try).

I like black cherries, I like whiskey, as it turns out, I like them together.

I like honey, I like whiskey, as it turns out, I like them together.

I now have two more bottles to keep in stock.

I feel guilty of doing something wrong, as I feel like I am cheating when I just have whiskey on the rocks or with a sour mix. That being said, I really like them both, a great deal. Nothing sophisticated about the taste.

Looking forward to seeing how the WT honey is, once I finish the JD honey.

Just wanted to say I finally gave red stag a try (and while I was at the store gave Jack's wiskey / honey liqueur mix a try).

I like black cherries, I like whiskey, as it turns out, I like them together.

I like honey, I like whiskey, as it turns out, I like them together.

I now have two more bottles to keep in stock.

I feel guilty of doing something wrong, as I feel like I am cheating when I just have whiskey on the rocks or with a sour mix. That being said, I really like them both, a great deal. Nothing sophisticated about the taste.

Looking forward to seeing how the WT honey is, once I finish the JD honey.

I like red stag but not the JD honey, though American honey hits the spot some of the time. I don't drink them when I want bourbon, but on a hot day mixed sprite, ale-8 or ginger ale they are enjoyable. Remember always drink what tastes good not what you think others think you should be drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost couldn't swallow the Red Stag when I tried it.... that's how much I disliked it.:lol:

There is nothing wrong with liking something different. No need to feel guilty about anything. Obviously, I'm in the minority, because JB sure seems to sell the hell out that stuff! :cool:

I'm personally not a fan of the honey bourbon/whiskies. However, I do like me some Red Stag mixed in cola. Which is weird because I can't stand regular bourbon and coke. The problem with Red Stag is that it's just too expensive for what it is, imho. A fifth of Red Stag is like $17-18 in my area from what I've seen. I just can't pay that for something that is probably regular old white label Beam with just cherry flavor added to it.

Although Beam came up with an origin story for Red Stag, about their R&D guy first mixing it up for something he took with him when he went hunting, the real origin is that in their market research, they found a lot of young drinkers who liked their Jim not just with Coke but specifically with Cherry Coke. That's where the idea really came from.

I'm personally not a fan of the honey bourbon/whiskies. However, I do like me some Red Stag mixed in cola. Which is weird because I can't stand regular bourbon and coke. The problem with Red Stag is that it's just too expensive for what it is, imho. A fifth of Red Stag is like $17-18 in my area from what I've seen. I just can't pay that for something that is probably regular old white label Beam with just cherry flavor added to it.

It's much more than cherry flavor. I think you get a full medical dose of Robitussin with each dose.

Count me in the didn't like category for Red Stag. I had to try it and it was one of the worst I've ever had. Even at $6 for a fifth I'd never buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this on a whim for New Years Every party where I knew regular bourbon wouldn't go over well. I never imagined what a hit it would be. And after trying it myself, I would have no problem drinking a Red Stag Cherry Coke on a hot summer day.

Bought this on a whim for New Years Every party where I knew regular bourbon wouldn't go over well. I never imagined what a hit it would be. And after trying it myself, I would have no problem drinking a Red Stag Cherry Coke on a hot summer day.

Do you garnish it with a cherry?

Do you garnish it with a cherry?

The only place I ever use cherries is an Old Fashioned or my daughter wants a Shirley Temple.

It's all too sweet straight and I don't really like drinks mixed with sodas :skep:

I just picked up. The Beam "Spiced" and have high hopes that this can replace Captain Morgan in some mixers.

I bought a bottle of the honey tea. Not bad. Reminds me of the beam and tea drink That I liked when I was younger!

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

I found this "mixing bourbon with flavour" thing very funny, because in Germany we had a big discussion over the past years of how bad it can be for unexperienced drinkers to handle this kind of stuff, cause in the first place, all the flavours take away the alcoholic taste.

We had it all: Rum with different flavours, beers with different flavours, Vodka with different flavours, and now some of the shops do sell Red Stag. I've never seen the JB Honey stuff in a shop though.

I tried the JB Red Stag and the Evan Williams Honey Tea and really wasn't impressed. I mean, I think it has nothing to do with an authentic bourbon or a "real" drink, but if you take this as an fact, you can be satisfied, if you like sweet alcoholic drinks...this is how I see it.

Got a bottle of Stag cinnamon spice. Not bad either. Can think of various drinks it would be a good sub for Captain Morgans!

Thomas

I found this "mixing bourbon with flavour" thing very funny, because in Germany we had a big discussion over the past years of how bad it can be for unexperienced drinkers to handle this kind of stuff, cause in the first place, all the flavours take away the alcoholic taste.

We've had the same thing here and so have many other countries. At bottom it's a specious argument because it says any alcoholic beverage that tastes good is a problem. It's also an insulting argument, because it says drinkers don't know what they're drinking.

We've had the same thing here and so have many other countries. At bottom it's a specious argument because it says any alcoholic beverage that tastes good is a problem. It's also an insulting argument, because it says drinkers don't know what they're drinking.

Agreed. They are lookimg at the drink as the problem rather than WHO is drinking it.

It doesn't take much to figure out the person doing "jello shooters" is (typically) someone between 20 and 30 years old, and more interested in "getting drunk" that appreciating what they are drinking.

Just look at that same age group, and how much Jack Daniels they drink. Go ask one of them to describe the taste... They can't, because they pound it as a shot. At best you might get an answer of "smooth " which just means "doesn't burn too much. "

But leave it to "researchers", statistician and politicians to come to the wrong conclusions and blame the effect rather than the cause.

Got a bottle of Stag cinnamon spice. Not bad either. Can think of various drinks it would be a good sub for Captain Morgans!

Thomas

Really? I didn't get that at all. Way too sweet. Tasted more like cinnamon candy than "spiced" to me. Captain Morgan won thia round for me... By a long shot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.