What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

Stormeh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What do you guy's think of the Hooker's Pinot Noir finished Bourbon? I tried the 2 year Big Bottom finished in port casks and was quite underwhelmed for the price. Thoughts? Paying $35 for 2 year old Bourbon seems like a crime, although from what I've read, Hooker's is older than 2 years, I'm still not convinced.

What do you guy's think of the Hooker's Pinot Noir finished Bourbon? I tried the 2 year Big Bottom finished in port casks and was quite underwhelmed for the price. Thoughts? Paying $35 for 2 year old Bourbon seems like a crime, although from what I've read, Hooker's is older than 2 years, I'm still not convinced.

I have not seen this one in my neck of the woods in ATL. Very interesting, my wife and I love Pinot Noirs. Could make for an interesting tasting.

Great review in SourMashManifesto today I believe. Maybe that is what spurred this question in the first place.

Id be interested in trying one for the price but looks like its only available in the Sonoma area.

Please pay no attention to the label stating the bourbon came from a Kentucky distillery. According to a phone query from K&L, the bottler, Prohibition Spirits, thought LDI was in Kentucky or something. This might explain why the mashbill seems so odd (54% corn and 46% rye).

Please pay no attention to the label stating the bourbon came from a Kentucky distillery. According to a phone query from K&L, the bottler, Prohibition Spirits, thought LDI was in Kentucky or something. This might explain why the mashbill seems so odd (54% corn and 46% rye). The label will be changed in the next batch.

I've seen this rumor around so I asked about it and I'm convinced that it is not true. I talked directly to the label owner of Hooker's House who explained the situation to me. He says they got the bourbon directly from a Kentucky distillery. Apparently, it was an experimental distillation that didn't work out for the distillery so they sold it off.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/01/sonoma-whiskey-part-ii-hookers-house.html

Apparently, it was an experimental distillation that didn't work out for the distillery so they sold it off.

mmmmm, that sounds delicious:skep:

I actually really like Hooker's House. It's a high-rye recipe with some nice sweetness, probably from the wine finishing and it comes in at a decent price.

I wonder if I can get a case shipped to the Hooker Entrance at the Massachusetts State House...

hooker_entrance.jpg

If that entrance is for the general hookers, is there a separate entrance for the high priced hookers?

If that entrance is for the general hookers, is there a separate entrance for the high priced hookers?

Yep... they call it "Inauguration Day"... :slappin:

• 5 months later...

It's good, with a full reasonably aged flavor, and a clear winy/aromatic quality - the something different is not just the rye - although not overbearing. I find it a little harsh to drink neat - not the taste but texture and short finish - but a little water reduces that or rocks would work well too. Good effort.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.