Bourbon Cherries Experiment

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a jar of Rainier cherries in bourbon that I made a few months ago. The result turned out to be interesting in that the bourbon completely absorbed the sugar from the cherries turning it into a very sweet, wine-like liqueur. The cherries, on the other hand, absorbed all of the rye flavor from the bourbon and now taste like little balls of rye. I've been at a loss for what to do with the concoction since I don't usually care for sweet drinks. Tonight, I made a cocktail using 1 part of the cherry-infused bourbon and 2 parts WT rye shaken and strained into a martini glass. I threw in 2 of the rye cherries on a toothpick and the whole thing was pretty good!

Has anyone else had a result like this, and what did you do with the final product?

I put cherries and valrohna cocoa nibs in mine. Made great old fashiond's. Easy on the nibs though. The cherries are useless after the soak though. Better to toss them and use a different garnish. My 2 cnts

Funny you should mention this. I was about to try the same thing. Now, I'm thinking I should try it with something other than bourbon . . . maybe brandy, luxardo, cherry heering?

White dog?:bigeyes:

That would be an interesting, but expensive, experiment!

I'm thinking that besides mixing this stuff might be good in a recipe that calls for a sweet wine. Has anyone else tried cooking with a bourbon infusion?

One of my best creations has been a cherry infused vodka. I had a mason jar full of fresh picked cherries soaking in vodka for about 3 days. I removed the vodka, and filled the jar of cherries with sugar. In another 36 hours, the sugar pulled the liquid and color from the cherries, resulting in a thick, sweet cherry syrup, and pale white cherries. I then mixed the syrup and the vodka from step one, and made a ~55 proof drink that tasted like cherry Kool-Aid. Good straight, over shaved ice, or blended.

I tried the same thing with strawberries, but left the proof too high for most to enjoy.

One of my best creations has been a cherry infused vodka. I had a mason jar full of fresh picked cherries soaking in vodka for about 3 days. I removed the vodka, and filled the jar of cherries with sugar. In another 36 hours, the sugar pulled the liquid and color from the cherries, resulting in a thick, sweet cherry syrup, and pale white cherries. I then mixed the syrup and the vodka from step one, and made a ~55 proof drink that tasted like cherry Kool-Aid. Good straight, over shaved ice, or blended.

I tried the same thing with strawberries, but left the proof too high for most to enjoy.

I put cherries and valrohna cocoa nibs in mine. Made great old fashiond's. Easy on the nibs though. The cherries are useless after the soak though. Better to toss them and use a different garnish. My 2 cnts

I've had good success with texture when I first blanch the cherries in salted water before putting in jars for infusion.

My current batch have good texture. Previous batches that weren't blanched were quite a bit softer.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's friend made some bourbon cherries and mailed us a jar. I use them in Manhattans. I'm really looking forward to drinking the liquid that remains after I finish the cherries.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get cherries marinated in moonshine from this little place in east Tennessee. They were great and the marinade was put to good use.

Cheers!

I used to get cherries marinated in moonshine from this little place in east Tennessee. They were great and the marinade was put to good use.

Cheers!

They stock these in the Liquor Barn. May have to give them a try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.