Sake

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone here ever drink any sake? I tasted Ty Ku Silver and Ty Ku Black recently and liked both. So today, looking for something different, I picked up a bottle of the Black. I have it chilling right and look forward to trying it later.

I love a good, dry sake. Don't drink a lot of it, but always order some in Japanese restaurants and look for opportunities to try new bottles.

I love a good, dry sake. Don't drink a lot of it, but always order some in Japanese restaurants and look for opportunities to try new bottles.

I'm liking this Ty Ku black. I had always thought that sake was supposed to be heated before drinking. But apparently that is only with the cheaper stuff based upon the reading I've been doing. The good stuff should be chilled. And there are many different grades of sake based upon how much the grains of rice are polished. Pretty interesting stuff. The Wikipedia page on sake has a lot of info in case anyone is interested.

Kurosawa is a decent mid-shelf pour. It's good chilled and heated, IMO. They say that even to heat it, the temp should only be warm--although on a cold night I like it hotter.

Mu Sake is fantastic, but not cheap, nor extremely expensive. It's what's considered a Junmai Dai Ginjo--the most polished rice for sake brewing.

I do enjoy the ocassional sake in the traditional way. My wife is Korean and she is very talented at pairing the sake with the right meal.

I have only tried a couple, but I really liked Hakushika Sake, I think it was their Junmai Gingo, also liked Momo Kawa Diamond.

I looove sushi, and I love drinking sake at a sushi restaurant, but it's very rare indeed that I'll buy a bottle to bring home. I can't remember the last time I did that.

And just like wine, for the life of me I cannot remember any names. I had some great sake at a nice sushi joint a few months ago, but I have no idea what it was.

Anyone else have that problem with wines? Producer, vintage, etc; I can never keep them straight. I like wine, I know grapes, but I pretty much need to ask for help every single time I go to pick up some bottles.

Not to change the subject...

My brother spent some time in Japan and came back with a greater appreciation for sake. I've had it a few times, but that was a couple of years ago. He had a bunch of recommendations for what to try when he came back; I'll have to call him up and see what I should pick up. I'll post here with the results of my quest.

I looove sushi, and I love drinking sake at a sushi restaurant, but it's very rare indeed that I'll buy a bottle to bring home. I can't remember the last time I did that.

And just like wine, for the life of me I cannot remember any names. I had some great sake at a nice sushi joint a few months ago, but I have no idea what it was.

Anyone else have that problem with wines? Producer, vintage, etc; I can never keep them straight. I like wine, I know grapes, but I pretty much need to ask for help every single time I go to pick up some bottles.

Not to change the subject...

Same here. I've tried several in restaurants and had many more that I picked up in Asian supermarkets for group tastings, but can't remember names. Frequently, I found myself selecting based on descriptions on shelf cards once I realized that I leaned more toward dry sakes. Just haven't bought sake consistently enough to retain the names.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.